What subject to drop for 2009 HSC and Newcastle Uni entry (1 Viewer)

johnnybusboy82

HSC
Hi everyone,

Might have this in the wrong area, if so, sorry

I have just got my end of yr 11 preliminary report, and I have to drop at least 2 units. I did 13 units in prelim and picked up history extension at start of this term, so at the moment I'm at 14 units and need to get to a minimum of 12.

My end of year 11 mark (%) was (and rank):

English Advanced : 83% (2)
English Extension: 87% (3)
Legal Studies: 91% (1)
Modern History: 92% (1)
Studies of Religion II 86% (2) NEED TO KEEP THIS - CATHOLIC SCHOOL
Economics: 79% (2)
Mathematics 2U 53% (14)

I know it looks obvious that Maths is my weak point, and I'm looking at doing a combined law degree at newcastle. However, if I wanted to do Commerce or business with it, it says in the Newcaslte undergrad guide that 'Assumed knowledge' for those 2 courses is 'HSC Mathematics'

So, should I keep the maths for the sake of this, and drop something with higher marks (and what???), or, do I really need HSC 2U maths?

Any commerce/business student with knowledge would be great

Thanks

piitb

HSC
53% is really awefull for 2u maths. u would be in the lowest 10%.

u wont relly be disadvantaged in commerce if u havent done 2u maths. there maybe a few references to calculus like the instantanous rate of change, but thats about it.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
I would drop Econ but I suppose you enjoy it if you are interested in Commerce and Business. Still though, you could easily do those degrees without yr 12 level Econ.

Otherwise, I would drop 3 unit English and focus on bringing your maths up/get a tutor if haven't already.

The only issue if you're really keen on combined law is that your great results in everything else may be pulled down by your maths result.

I think your decision should depend on what you do and don't enjoy. No matter what you drop though, you should work on your maths a bit.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
If not economics or maths then why not drop back to 1U religion? U could then have 13 units. In my grade several people did 14 units.
I did 12 units. U only need 10. I hated maths so I deliberately worked harder in chen so maths wouldn't have to count. U could do that. U know, just to keep ur finger on the pulse so u stay familiar with maths but don't actually have it count.
Ultimately, do what u enjoy most. Most UoN entry scores are
Pretty low (especially for commerce/business). Law is a different issue but with marks like urs I don't think it's unreasonable to expect at least high 80s for ur uai. Apparently economics is good for ur uai but idk.

Edit: which school are u at?

Last edited:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
'Assumed knowledge' is bullshit, you won't need to have done 2-unit maths. Assuming you can get a high enough UAI, any combination of courses is sufficient preparation.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Being 3rd Year B.Commerce, I can tell you that...it depends.

For some courses, like econometrics and quantitative analysis it will help (also depending on if your major is Fin/Acc/Econ). But, if you say go for an Accounting major, then it wont matter at all. Finance is the only course that draws on 2U maths concepts.

Just remember though, that the uni supplies (and is trying to push awareness of) tutoring and help for maths free of charge.

But yeah, look at probably dropping maths to keep your UAI intact.

piitb

HSC
you could always just stay in the class untill after the trials, then drop it officially before the HSC exam. that way your poor Maths mark wont be included in your final transcript. but you would be at least familiar with some of the calculus that would be helpfull for you at uni level.

alternatively you can keep maths, find a tutor and smash it. coz really if you can get 80s and 90s in your other subject, i'm pretty sure u can get a decent mark in maths

u got 3 months to get up to speed on the basics of maths, which is what yr11 was. do lots of practice problems, if you do all the practice problems your teacher gives u for homework, then there is no reason why you should only be getting 53.

~untitled~

HSC
Why not go down into general math instead of dropping maths altogether.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
I think if he stays around that level in General he'll be a lot worse off. A few people in my year dropped from Maths to General and actually struggled because we learnt different stuff to them. Maybe they were just bad at maths altogether though haha. I used to help my friend do her Maths lol.

blue_chameleon

HSC
piitb said:
you could always just stay in the class untill after the trials, then drop it officially before the HSC exam. that way your poor Maths mark wont be included in your final transcript. but you would be at least familiar with some of the calculus that would be helpfull for you at uni level.
That is a really retarded solution, because:

1) There's an opportunity cost to keeping maths for that long. He keeps it that long, and every minute he is spending doing maths related stuff is pointless and detrimental to his other subjects. If he's not doing well in it, get rid of it and focus on maintaining the other subjects.

2) Maths isn't that helpful in Commerce (apart from Finance major).

3) Also, fairly certain that tutoring wouldn't help him at this stage. If he's struggling that much, then ultimately, tutoring is only going to marginally improve his marks in the subject.

piitb

HSC
blue_chameleon said:
That is a really retarded solution, because:

1) There's an opportunity cost to keeping maths for that long. He keeps it that long, and every minute he is spending doing maths related stuff is pointless and detrimental to his other subjects. If he's not doing well in it, get rid of it and focus on maintaining the other subjects..
opportunity cost LOL

as if we dont spend hours watching tv, internet, going out with friends, really most students dont knuckle down in their HSC untill 4-6 weeks out from the exam. by that time he can drop the class and it wont effect is time in other subjects.

3 hours a week, sitting in class wont hurt.

marginal improvement ha. go to a decent tutor and they can get you 80%+ easy in 2u maths,

a person getting 80's and 90's in every other subject, can get at least an 80 in 2u maths

Last edited:

blue_chameleon

HSC
piitb said:
opportunity cost LOL

as if we dont spend hours watching tv, internet, going out with friends.

3 hours a week, sitting in class wont hurt.
You sir, are a retard.

blue_chameleon

HSC
Hey dude, why do you keep editing?

You're not finished though. Keep going with it and delete the whole post.

piitb

HSC
blue_chameleon said:
Hey dude, why do you keep editing?

You're not finished though. Keep going with it and delete the whole post.
coz i'm eating yo mommas pussy :haha:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)