What Subject Am I Better Off Keeping (1 Viewer)

Beege

HSC
i aim to get a UAI above 80 hopefully and im just wondering if i should keep senior science or software design and development. I'm starting year 12 on monday and im dropping one of my 6 subjects. Here are my courses at the moment

English Standard
General Maths
Senior Science
Business Studies
Information Processes And Technology
Software Design & Development

I started software off good this year (around 70% for the first two tests) but i got worse as the course progressed (35% in a term test and probably a little higher in the yearly). In senior science for the first two tests i only got 50-55% but in the yearly i reckon i got around 60-80% but in the practical test i reckon i did shit.

So guys what do u reckon i should keep? Senior Science Or Software?

Lavenderpup

HSC
keep software because with senior science, you'd still have to do bridging courses i.e. becomes rather useless + scales down but software at least has some scaling upwards.
then again.. software = shittiest syllabus.

Beege

HSC
If i work on the data binary pseudo coding area of software i might do pretty good

Beege

HSC
nah i'd rather focus on less subjects, takes a bit of the pressure off plus it gives you more of an opportunity to do better in the 5 subjects

HSC
well if thats what you want to do, then drop the subject you:

1-find hardest
2-hate the most
3-also check what you are ranking in each subject..

Last edited:

Beege

HSC
yer im kinda heading more towards dropping software now as i can see myself doing really good in senior science if i put in a bit of effort as i have hardly put any effort into it this year, so yeh it seems more easy to get those higher marks with science rather than software

gemrism

HSC
I would keep both for now. it is very dangerous to be on 10 units as all of them will count. Trust me you might wake up 3 days before the trials and start thinking WHY DID I DROP "subject X"...
So try hard in bith of them and keep both of them for now!

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
^I'm going to have to definitely agree. Doing 12 units really isn't that stressful at all (I did 12 units until AFTER the trials!) and you'll probably thank yourself for it. Do 12 units until you're sure enough about which one to drop that you don't have to ask for second (or third, fourth, fifth etc) opinions. :)

RyanTurner

HSC
Obviously if you're dumb enough to be doing standard english and general maths and only wanting to do ten units, both of which scale abominably [although scaling doesn't have a dramatic effect on your marks, especially if you do badly], then you should just drop out of school and undertake an apprenticeship as a carpenter or mechanic and live the rest of your life in a drunken stupor, smothered with poverty in a phalocentric society that will never accept you. unless you are also too stupid to do that.

also, you do not need to worry about scaling. Scaling is designed by the government to ensure every student gains a UAI greater than (or equal to) 50.00. You can receive marks of 1/100 in each of your 10 subjects and still receive a mark of 50.00.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
RyanTurner said:
Obviously if you're dumb enough to be doing standard english and general maths and only wanting to do ten units, both of which scale abominably [although scaling doesn't have a dramatic effect on your marks, especially if you do badly], then you should just drop out of school and undertake an apprenticeship as a carpenter or mechanic and live the rest of your life in a drunken stupor, smothered with poverty in a phalocentric society that will never accept you. unless you are also too stupid to do that.

also, you do not need to worry about scaling. Scaling is designed by the government to ensure every student gains a UAI greater than (or equal to) 50.00. You can receive marks of 1/100 in each of your 10 subjects and still receive a mark of 50.00.
Whaaaaaaaaaat?

Amaybro

HSC
RyanTurner said:

I suppose you've never heard of the 'myster UAI'? Its when you get below 50...

BUT ignoring the negativity, and getting back onto topic:

i would keep both as well. Ultimately when deciding between subjects you have to know what it is you want to do, if you are gong to UNi (i.e. if you're going to do a computing course then it would be silly to drop SDD).

12 units is not 'pressurising' as much as it is a relief to know you have a backup. There really is nothing you cannot handle if you work hard. Put it in this year and you will probably thankyourself later! Good luck!

crazedmo2003

HSC
Not to be a complete twat like Ryanturner, I'll just offer what I frankly think.

If you want a UAI of over 80 and you're doing those subjects, you better make sure you're getting damn well in them, because really, they scale quite awfully.

I'm not being harsh on purpose, it's just the reality of it.

What's your school's rank?

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
crazedmo2003 said:
Not to be a complete twat like Ryanturner, I'll just offer what I frankly think.

If you want a UAI of over 80 and you're doing those subjects, you better make sure you're getting damn well in them, because really, they scale quite awfully.

I'm not being harsh on purpose, it's just the reality of it.

What's your school's rank?
I don't think you really know what scaling is.

Sleiphnir

HSC
N/A
Being a totally impartial source I'd say DROP SOFTWARE. It is the crappest subject and is so damn boring. The syllabus is just fucked.

Can you tell I hate the fucking subject..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)