what study guides and material would you recommend? (1 Viewer)

tazz-me-razz

HSC
hey, guys
i'm about to start year 12 and want to get all the books now, but i was just wondering which one swould you recommend.
for example, i was doing bio and chem in year 11 and bought excel chem and bio. while bio was rather useful and easier to study than the heinmann textbook, the excel chemistry (prelim) did not have enough on some topics and ifound it to have too much info on the ones that i though were not as important (some i didn't even see in the syllabus). of course i might be wrong, because i kind of crammed 3 weeks before the prelims, but i went to the library and macmillan guides seemed to be better ie. for chem and bio they had all the experiments nicely written out and they seemed to be really following the syllabus. so yeah, what i'm probably asking - is macmillan guides really better than excel? (yeah, i know it's quite a lame question...) and what other study matterial would you recommend for the following subjects?

-eng. adv
-maths 2u
-maths 3u
-bio
-chem
-modern hist.
-ancient hist.

oh, and if you are a seller that would be even better - i'll probably buy your books
also, does anyone still sell the excel guide to survive HSC (or something like that..)?

thank you in advance

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
-eng. adv: some find the excel study guides for the modules are helpful. i find them pretty basic but they can't hurt.

-maths 2u: mathematics past papers book (from the maths association of NSW), this year it's a red book but it might change for next yr

-bio: Success One past papers book

-chem: Success One past papers book

Those are the only subjects we have in common. The past papers books will help you SO much.

Good luck and enjoy your last year!

tazz-me-razz

HSC
thanks for the advise.
you wouldn't have those books for sale, would you?

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
I've got a King Lear Study Guide, Emma/Clueless Study Guide, and (just)Emma Study Guide that are in perfect condition.

I also have Chem and Bio books but I've written in them a fair bit, they (obviously) don't have the 2006 HSC paper in it like next year's edition will, and I won't be able to sell them until after my exams. This is the same case for Maths but I haven't written in the maths one nearly as much, just a few tiny diagrams.

So it's up to you.

Sleiphnir

HSC
N/A
What texts are you doing for adv. English modules? I have a tonne of studyguides for AOS (skrzynecki + in general), Hamlet/RosnGuil, Cloudstreet + Frontline.
For modern - the HTA modern history study guide is good as is the Get Smart one. The Excel one is average, but useful to have another source (I use all three to prepare my notes as opposed to the class textbook)

Sleiphnir

HSC
N/A
Oh as for 2u maths (no 3u) I have a lot of study guides for both prelim + hsc but I don't know how good they are because I barely used them so they're in really good condition (cept for the dust perhaps)

kc-ok-la

HSC
mod :

GET SMART STUDY GUIDE HSC MODERN HISTORY
by ken webb

its very concise and follows syllabus headings and straight to the answer,
when you use this you should get those normal text books and what you learn in class to fill in the tiny tiny gaps and tiny bits more of info

however with this book alone i beleive its easy to get a decent band 5 in mod

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Why do you have such a problem with my picture?

Kezalicious

HSC
*cough* off topic

It really depends on what you struggle with. I got study guides for each subject like you did and I don't really use my Modern History one. Mainly because it's one of my best subjects and I have 5 textbooks from school for MH. But for other subjects like Biology where I have the worst teacher I use my study guide like anything...it's well loved and written all over.

So maybe wait until you get into next term like the first few weeks to get some books. It'll save you some cash.

tazz-me-razz

HSC
thanks guys.
yeah, i think i'll get my textbooks at least after two days of school...maybe also ask the teachers which ones they would recommend.
it's just most of my friends are in such a rush to get all the study matterial right now and a lot of people were just sitting in the tutoring schools over the holidays and i didn't even really look at the syllabus...so i thought to get my textbooks now as well, but there's quite a choice...

as for modern history - i went to the local library yesterday to look at the study guides and ,i might be wrong, but i found that macquirie guide kind of gave more clear explanations. as in, it did not have as much detail and too many dates as did the get smart (i think...) guide and also had all there "hsc-style questions" etc.- but i guess that could actually be the bad thing...on the other hand the dot point format of "get smart" modern was rather appealing. so...would you actually recommend getting both of these books, as they seem to "fill in the blanks" of each other?

also, for english - i'm quite sure we are doing brave new world, bladerunner, king lear and frontline - i'd like to get study guides on all of these. though, one of my friend said she'll give me some of her books, not sure which ones - so i still don't know what i really need....-_-

any more suggestions would be really appreciated
thanks guys :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)