What should I know prior to year 10 and previous years in order to do extension 1 maths? (1 Viewer)

yesaah123

HSC
What should I know prior to year 10 and previous years in order to do extension 1 maths? I know algebra is a big one however if there is more please do let me know so that I can brush up on it. Also, is learning polynomials in year 10 ESSENTIAL for extension 1? as my teacher said its essential however other people have not done it in year 10 and did not struggle, is this due to learning the basics of it in year 11?

Thanks!

WeiWeiMan

HSC
What should I know prior to year 10 and previous years in order to do extension 1 maths? I know algebra is a big one however if there is more please do let me know so that I can brush up on it. Also, is learning polynomials in year 10 ESSENTIAL for extension 1? as my teacher said its essential however other people have not done it in year 10 and did not struggle, is this due to learning the basics of it in year 11?

Thanks!
Year 10 polynomials should be fairly easy and you should do it but it is not absolutely essential for year 11/12 polynomials. One thing that I’d say helped me a lot in prelim and HSC extension 1 was learning basic calculus concepts (derivatives and integrals) well before I covered it in class which gave me the time to understand it better.

yesaah123

HSC
Year 10 polynomials should be fairly easy and you should do it but it is not absolutely essential for year 11/12 polynomials. One thing that I’d say helped me a lot in prelim and HSC extension 1 was learning basic calculus concepts (derivatives and integrals) well before I covered it in class which gave me the time to understand it better.
thank u so much

Luukas.2

HSC
If you are considering Extension 2, circle geometry from Year 10 is useful for parts of the complex numbers topic.

Being able to set out working clearly and logically and without mistakes in algebra is extremely useful for higher maths.

xoNat

don't worry, be happy
HSC
If you are considering Extension 2, circle geometry from Year 10 is useful for parts of the complex numbers topic.

Being able to set out working clearly and logically and without mistakes in algebra is extremely useful for higher maths.
Yes and just general geometry knowledge too :D

Luukas.2

HSC
Yes, geometry has been largely removed from the year 11 and 12 courses, and yet it is a useful tool for a variety of HSC problems, including trigonometry, optimisation (Adv) and vectors (MX1 and MX2).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)