What should I drop? (1 Viewer)

s-wetzler

HSC
I'm currently doing thirteen units. English Advanced, Maths General, Economics, Business Studies, German Beginners, Modern History and Extension History.
My teachers are telling me to drop a subject and the workload is getting a bit much.
I would be inclined to drop German. Would German scale me down more than my other subjects?
I plan to do a business degree when I finish what would be the best subject for me to drop?

princesscal

Banned
HSC
If you're only worried about workload, wouldn't dropping ext. history be your best bet?

Can't really comment about scaling but I always thought languages scale well?

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Most languages scale well. :uhhuh:

I'd say drop general math because its time consuming and pointless. I know plenty of people who have done business degrees, having done no math during their senior years. I did gen math and im hoping to do a business degree, personally i wish i had dropped math altogether.

Extension history can be time consuming as well, but if you enjoy it - its not that bad. :)

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
kevinondiet said:
dont drop anything unless your really struggling time..
The OP did say that the workload is "getting a bit much." 13 units in yr 12 is a fair bit to handle, 11 - 12 units is a better choice.

Last edited:

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Just to clarify, beginner languages don't actually scale that well.

EDIT: minnthu you're an idiot, that's not true at all.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
m.incognito said:
you'd rather do NO maths than do general maths.
I agree with Jachie, you have no clue.

General math, like any other subject will scale poorly if you do shit in it. If you ace general math, you will NOT get scaled down for it.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Yeah, but that's my personal preference because I find any maths to be absolute aids. The fact still remains that MANY people do well in general maths and get great UAIs.

EDIT: word to tanjin

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Jachie said:
Yeah, but that's my personal preference because I find any maths to be absolute aids. The fact still remains that MANY people do well in general maths and get great UAIs.

EDIT: word to tanjin
I reluctantly agree with your facts as indicated in bold in addition to the evidence of the performance of some Year 12's last year.

cccclaire

HSC
I'd drop German. Just because if you're planning on going into the business world, having done beginners German isn't going to help you much.
Also, from what I've heard, languages are a lot of work, and they only scale well if you speak the language fluently.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
I'd defiantly keep your maths and drop either german or History.

runnable

HSC
To be honest, it would be much more helpful if you can tell us your ranks in those subjects so we wouldnt jump to conclusions. For example if you are first in Gen Maths, and last in German or vice versa, the choice is clear.

HSC
what uai are you aiming for? and what marks do you think you can potentially achieve for each subject? cos like Jachie and Tanjin said, general math has shocking scaling for marks below band 5, but are ok above. Modern history and german beg are also like that a bit.

s-wetzler

HSC
Yeah my worst mark is German beginners. I just find it so boring. The only reason I was going to keep it was because I thought it would be good for Business courses at Uni.

Thanks for the help guys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)