• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

what should i do? (1 Viewer)

*Pooja*

i want to do dentistry and have two choices - move interstate to Melbourne or stay at Sydney, do a science degree, do the GAMSAt and get into SYdUni post grad entry into the dentistry course. what should i do? im really lost and i dont ever want to have regrets...

moving interstate sounds cool and is good experience but i wanna go to syd uni. what should i do? :(

doe

HSC
N/A
have you been to melbourne?

id say move, you can always come back if it sucks. make sure your parentals agree with this policy of returning.

you only live once.

[edit]

here are some stupid things ive done in no particular order

- joined the infantry
- given myself a tattoo
- left my degree halfway through and moved to england for a girl

the only things i really regret is when ive let down someone who cared for me. things are rarely permanent, even dodgy tattoos.

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
well id ure willing to work hard then Usyd is good..
but its hard cos u have to maintain a standard and not be in the
course ure in.. and its 3 yrs + 4 yrs
or u could go interstate come back to usyd and study ure speciality

thats wat i was planning to do if i did dent in adel :)

*Pooja*

hmm...it sux because if not syd, then i have to move interstate. its so stupid!!! :(
+Po1ntDeXt3r+: i realised that usyd would be hard to get into...my initial idea was to do exactly that. but now i have to seriously think abotu what im gonna do.....

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
well moving interstate will make u tougher.. srsly.. u learn wat u realli kno how to do..

actualli its realli odd in australia.. cos overseas its pretti common to leave for uni... and learn to live by ureself.. :) my dad did it too

just i figure wat ull be happiest doing :)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Americans think we're so strange to prefer our "hometown" universities. After all, for them the whole point of college is leaving home and living away from all the familiar things.

Of course, they've got way more tertiary institutions than us. I say "tertiary institutions" because many aren't worthy of being called "university" (eg Bob's College-O-Rama).

inasero

Reborn
HSC
hey dont bag America's colleges! they're super smart...and the world's envy~~
American politics on the other hand...

inasero

Reborn
HSC
want to do dentistry and have two choices - move interstate to Melbourne or stay at Sydney, do a science degree, do the GAMSAt and get into SYdUni post grad entry into the dentistry course. what should i do? im really lost and i dont ever want to have regrets...
i know what you mean, cos i asked the same question about medicine
bascially, apply for Melb Uni anyway to maximise your chances...see if you will get into it or not...if not then you didnt lose much...you might be able to do grad dent...just sit and pray about it....i didnt like the idea of 'possibly' doing graduate medicine so i resolved to jump at any opportunity.

Unless you have a good understanding of the difficulty involved in entering via the GAMSAT route, I strongly advise you apply to all undergrad unis, even interstate

or, if you dont have your mind firmly set on dent, just apply for any undergrad course in Sydney...it's your call

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
inasero, Why is it harder to get into med through GAMSAT??

inasero

Reborn
HSC
firstly, if you don't have a science background you will find it more difficult.
secondly, people who didn't like their course decide to do medicine/dent suddenly
thirdly, the GAMSAT is hard...let me put it to you this way- harder to the average uni student than the UMAT is to the average Yr. 12 student;
fourthly, not as many graduate places

korry

HSC
N/A
a lot of people dont want to wait 3-4yrs without being absolutely sure that they'll get a graduate place...i guess thats what turns people off. I mean doing undergrad means u finish earlier. But I have read abt the advantages of doing graduate...ie you meet more people etc but its your call. Moving interstate is pretty big...have a look at that pdf thats up here somewhere abt applying interstate. (Its pretty good coz its got the pros and cons and stuff - in the med section i think ) But if you think you're up for it then go for it =)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
id only opt for graduate if i couldnt do anything else
... ... ..

no they arent many grad places anyways.. plus usualli it may involve competiting with ppl with PhD's and masters.. cos a bacholer may not cut it
Dr Karl did grad med.. and so did my lecturer.. cept they hav a heap of PhD before they did med..

btw with interstate its kinda fun...but not for ppl who arent truly independent

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)