HSC
Currently I am in year 11 doing these subjects:
Mathematics (HSC)
Advanced English
Physics
Chemistry
Economics
Religion 2

I am doing well in my accelerated maths class, coming first and averaging 96. Though my school only accelerates 2 unit.
I am planing to go on and do extension 1 in year 12, though should I pick up extension 2 as well?

Also, if I pick up MX2 what subject should I drop to recieve highest atar? Considering Religion is compulsary at my school.
Should I be considering 10, 11 or 12 units for my HSC?

Cheers,

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
Mathematics (HSC)
Advanced English
Physics
Chemistry
Economics
Religion 2

I am doing well in my accelerated maths class, coming first and averaging 96. Though my school only accelerates 2 unit.
I am planing to go on and do extension 1 in year 12, though should I pick up extension 2 as well?

Also, if I pick up MX2 what subject should I drop to recieve highest atar? Considering Religion is compulsary at my school.

Cheers,
drop the subject you dont like or arent performing as well in

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Mathematics (HSC)
Advanced English
Physics
Chemistry
Economics
Religion 2

Cheers,
Have you had a taste of 3 units maths at all? How have you been going in that?

Only drop a subject if you find it difficult to cope. If you do, consider the following:

1. Which is of the least interest
2. Which is your worst
3. Which has the least relevance to your future aspirations (if you have decided what uni degree you want to do)

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
If you do 10 units, know that all of your units will count towards your ATAR so it'll be bad if you mess up one of your HSC exams.
If you do 11 or 12 units, then you have a bit more leeway with your HSC exams (with the exception of english).
But you can drop a subject if you can't handle the work load or you don't like the subject or you're doing bad at the subject. 10, 11, or 12 units - its really up to how you think your going with your subjects and the work load.

Siddy123

HSC
Mathematics (HSC)
Advanced English
Physics
Chemistry
Economics
Religion 2

Cheers,
what school do u go to?
im pretty sure theres a non atar "catholic studies" option for people in catholic schools

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
10,11 and 12 units are all viable options.

You could start 12 units and then drop down along the way. And you seem to be a strong candidate for MX2 and should take it.

MX 2 takes lots of times, but has great scaling as reward. As long as you feel you won't bomb one of your subjects, 10 units is fine.

jmadden

HSC
10,11 and 12 units are all viable options.

You could start 12 units and then drop down along the way. And you seem to be a strong candidate for MX2 and should take it.

MX 2 takes lots of times, but has great scaling as reward. As long as you feel you won't bomb one of your subjects, 10 units is fine.
I will probably take that option, thanks.

But when I take up MX2, which is another 2 units, will that cancel out the 2 unit course that I have already finished? or will it just go towards my atar as well; having 4 units of maths in my 10. Hence only having to do 2 other subjects other than english.

Siddy123

HSC
You can only do catholic studies if you are not getting an atar.
nah at my school u do catholic studies if u dont want sor to count to ur atar. All the MX2 AND EE2 people at my school do catholic studies.
what school u go to?

Siddy123

HSC
I will probably take that option, thanks.

But when I take up MX2, which is another 2 units, will that cancel out the 2 unit course that I have already finished? or will it just go towards my atar as well; having 4 units of maths in my 10. Hence only having to do 2 other subjects other than english.
your 2unit mark will mean nothing, ur 3unit mark and 4unit mark will count for 2units each, giving you a total of 4units of maths :)

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
If your doing 2 unit studies of religion, then an option may be to drop to 1 unit studies of religion.

jmadden

HSC
nah at my school u do catholic studies if u dont want sor to count to ur atar. All the MX2 AND EE2 people at my school do catholic studies.
what school u go to?
Wow, we can't do that at my school! jealousy.
I got to John Paul College Coffs Harbour.

jmadden

HSC
your 2unit mark will mean nothing, ur 3unit mark and 4unit mark will count for 2units each, giving you a total of 4units of maths :)
So I just accelerated mathematics 2 unit for no reason? And I should have just did it normally with EX1 in year 11 then pick up EX2 in year 12?
You have got to be kidding me.

Siddy123

HSC
Wow, we can't do that at my school! jealousy.
I got to John Paul College Coffs Harbour.
oh damn, ask ur curriculum coordinator, coz im pretty sure they might allow you...
I am considering dropping religion and doing catholic studies so i have 10 units next year.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
So I just accelerated mathematics 2 unit for no reason? And I should have just did it normally with EX1 in year 11 then pick up EX2 in year 12?
Accelerating let's you have an extra year to grasp the concepts though.

Siddy123

HSC
no u didnt accelerate for nothing...
it will be quite helpful for you, because if you get a good mark, you wont need to sit 2unit exams, as most 4unit students do ( till i think half yearlies) and also if u decide that ur not going to do mx2 and ur gnna do mx1, u wudda already finished 2unit so it would of gotten rid of a burden.

qwerty44

HSC
Accelerating let's you have an extra year to grasp the concepts though.
Also you don't have to learn the 2U content in Year 12, rather just spend time on ext 1 and 2 alone. I'm doing the exact same thing as you, and I used to think the same thing. But had you not accelerated, when you went into year 12 you would still have to cover 2U as you go, this way you dont.

Magical Kebab

HSC
It's not worth doing the HSC if you don't do mx2. Aim for 60% and u get a band 6 lol.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
^A raw percentage of that gets a band 6.

And to the OP, trust me when your MX1 and MX2 units get doubled and then scaled, it was not a waste of time doing 2u. Also you won't have to go to 2 unit classes, or sit 2u classes like you do at some schools, and if you want to drop MX2 you don't have to take mathematics up again.

Plus you've had a n extra year to learn HSC content skills.

You are so LUCKY you can accelerate at your school!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)