What salary should I be getting? (1 Viewer)

Dammit

Hi All,

I am wondering what salary I should expect? So far I have had 2 jobs, one was for 25,000 (reception) and one for 32,000 (assistant store manager).

I am wondering if anyone knows how much I should look for because I'm looking for a new job, so far no one will offer me more than about 28,000 :( :(

21 Years old, did year 12, then tertiary studies (Advanced Diploma Marketing and Management), 2 years full-time reception / office administration experience, 5 years casual at K-mart sales, 2 years casual maccas.

Some people tell me 30 - 40,000 is what i should look for, others say im only worth 20-25,000 !! :(

Can anyone shed some light, i am just looking for office jobs either reception/administration sort of thing or something with some marketing.

Thanks for your help.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Have you applied for higher paying jobs but been knocked back? If so did you ask them why you were unsuccessful?

or are you applying for jobs and then finding out they simply don't pay what you expect them to?

There are jobs for uni qualified IT people that are only willing to pay 28k a year so don't think you are the only one :)

As for how much you are worth it will depend, secretaries will not get much to start with, administrative assistants will get better. Have you checked what the relevant salary in the government sector for those positions is? It might be that you are being underpaid compared to govt equivalents meaning you might as well switch to govt jobs or find private jobs that are more competitive.

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
Are you looking for something to do for the rest of you life or just to fill in time?

I wouldn't say $30-40k... that is a bit much to expect. I would be looking in the $25-35k range. Besides, there is always room for advancement and improvement in the job stakes. 21 is still fairly young. I wouldn't knock back a job simply because it doesn't pay what you think you are worth. If you are looking for long term, let your potential employer know this. Ask about the potential for advancement in your position.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)