what raw marks you need for band 5/6 (merged) (1 Viewer)

munitalp

HSC
if anyone has any ideas regarding raw marks to achieve a band 5/6, please share your opinion... im hoping for a high band 5 and id probably get a raw between 70-80%

onebytwo

Recession '08
HSC
Re: what raw marks you need for band 5/6

apparently, last year the cut off for 90 was 81% in the hsc....which seems reasonable

Tim035

HSC

81% sounds about right for bottom band 6.

I swear I remember reading somewhere that in 2004 the band 4/5 cut off was 63% lol. Personally I'm aiming for anywhere within band 5. The thing is with chemistry, even if your dream question comes up in the exam the chances are a lot of kids out their will know even more detail and give an even better answer then what you write meaning you'll probley be pushed down to that 4/5 or 6/8 mark.
Well thats what I've heard anyway, some of my friends last year where sooo sure they nailed everything on the paper but both only got mid 80s which is still really good but yeah.... Some people just take it on themselves to go way beyond the textbook and I guess it really is those ppl who deserve band 6's. Personally I'm hopping for an ethanol question as I've been adding anything I find on ethanol from New Scientist magazine into my summaries so I've actually got a lot of really interesting and cutting edge ways in which they are trying to make ethanol more economically and enviormentally feasible.

dunno04

HSC

It depends on the paper. IF the paper is hard. well the cut off mark is lower.
We cannot predict it..UNless....
We know the paper...or...ur parents is the one that made the paper and marking scheme.
xD

I WISH.

tennille

HSC

dunno04 is correct. It depends on the difficulty of the paper and how the canditure performs.

onebytwo

Recession '08
HSC

our chem teacher is a hsc marker and he said that there was this question last year where the highest mark in the state was 5/7. he says the marking criteria expects things the question doesnt exactly ask......

passion89

HSC

onebytwo said:
our chem teacher is a hsc marker and he said that there was this question last year where the highest mark in the state was 5/7. he says the marking criteria expects things the question doesnt exactly ask......
Oh crap...well thats great news isn't it

/sarcasm

cerene

procrastinator
HSC

last year 81% got a 90 only?!

omfg.

well im screwed.

81% is hard! the markers are evil, they never give you full marks for a question unless you write an entire essay

oh crap

i thought the band 6 cut off would be around 70%

Naylyn

HSC

This question always seems to come up before exams and the answer is always the same, it depends on the test.

One thing i can almost gurantee is that the cut off will be higher this year than last year since so many people complained about how hard last years was, and many considered much of it to be only just in the syllabus.

You can write in point form for those huge questions... which is what im going to do since ive always been awful at essays.

AngelBunny`

HSC

cerene said:
last year 81% got a 90 only?!

omfg.

well im screwed.

81% is hard! the markers are evil, they never give you full marks for a question unless you write an entire essay

oh crap

i thought the band 6 cut off would be around 70%
But I got a teacher whos hsc markers and he said markers just want specific things, they do not want to see how good your essay skill is. Ss long as the information is there, students will get the marks...he recommended us to write in dot points in hsc, some other science teachers told us to write in dot points too...

izzy88

HSC

im always utterly confused when ppl ask these questions about raw marks as cut offs for bands....

the band and the final mark we get is an average of our HSC exam mark and our School assessment marks (both which we see but have obviously having been scaled)...so if im under the right impression u cant give a minimum cut off for an exam mark to reach a certain band....if ur assessment marks are extraordinarily good and as a school u went pretty good in the exam (so its not like ur school marked easy) but u personally got a lower mark u could still reach a band 6 (or so i believe) etc

if however i am mistaken and u are asking for the raw cut off to reach a certain HSC Exam mark (scaled) then i dont think they are classified into bands...only the final Board of studies mark is classified into bands (which is a combination of exam and school)

have i got it all wrong? or am i just reading too much into things...?

AngelBunny`

HSC

Naylyn said:
This question always seems to come up before exams and the answer is always the same, it depends on the test.

One thing i can almost gurantee is that the cut off will be higher this year than last year since so many people complained about how hard last years was, and many considered much of it to be only just in the syllabus.

You can write in point form for those huge questions... which is what im going to do since ive always been awful at essays.
I'm planning to write in point form too but with my big writting I think I will be needing more lines...What happen when you ran out of lines? I am doing my pass papers in my A4 book and I can write however much I want but I'm not sure in HSC :confused:

Naylyn

HSC

AngelBunny` said:
I'm planning to write in point form too but with my big writting I think I will be needing more lines...What happen when you ran out of lines? I am doing my pass papers in my A4 book and I can write however much I want but I'm not sure in HSC :confused:
You can ask for writing booklets which you can attach and direct them towards in your answer,

I usually don't follow the lines, I write down past where the lines end the down the margin first.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

Naylyn said:
Last year hard? Are you serious? Most people said last year's paper was the most straightforward paper they've ever seen. I agree with them myself. Some said it was ridiculously easy. A lot of people predict that it will be harder this year.

izzy88

HSC

just ask for another writing booklet- thats what i do on a frequent basis (just make sure u keep the sections separate...ie dont end up putting ur option with the left overs from other questions in the same booklet!)

that way it is easy to read and ur not trying to cram ur writing....
:)

bboyelement

HSC

i hope they put heaps of calculation questions in the test... you can always get 100% in these.

but i think chemistry this year will be hard.

Ennaybur

HSC
N/A

i could start another thread but meh..

so they continue markiing even if you go over the lines?

just clarifying after somebody mentioned thta they stop with the lines...

Nodice

HSC

It would be ludicrous if they stopped marking at the lines. The lines barely have enough space as it is!

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC

Unless you cross it out and make it clear that you don't want them to mark it, they should take all your writing into account.

Nodice, maybe the BOS is just being cheap with their paper :p Or they're trying to get you to write less to gain the marks...but I think they're just promoting environmentalist attitudes :D :p

Tim035

HSC

yeah in biology preety much every question was impossible to mark on the lines (2 lines to outline beadle and tatums experiment, cmon). But you only have to look at the standard packages to realise they obviously keep marking beyond the lines.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)