What marks should I be aiming for to get 99.90+? (1 Viewer)

bluepumpkins

HSC
I take English Advanced, 4U Maths, and Biology. I also accelerated a subject last year and got a mark that should scale to 48+/50.

My current aims:
English: 94 (realistically looking at a 91-92)
3U: 98+
4U: 95+
Bio: 96+

Would this be enough for a 99.90?

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
I take English Advanced, 4U Maths, and Biology. I also accelerated a subject last year and got a mark that should scale to 48+/50.

My current aims:

What do you mean it should scale to 48+? If you’ve accelerated it you would know your mark?

I’d think if you get the marks you say you’ll get then you should be able to get 99.9. There’s a difference between aiming for something and actually doing it,aiming for such high marks can also have an adverse effect throug giving yourself so much pressure. Right now you should just aim for maintaining your (high) rank.

I got relatively similar marks and got close to .9.

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
What do you mean it should scale to 48+? If you’ve accelerated it you would know your mark?

I’d think if you get the marks you say you’ll get then you should be able to get 99.9. There’s a difference between aiming for something and actually doing it,aiming for such high marks can also have an adverse effect throug giving yourself so much pressure. Right now you should just aim for maintaining your (high) rank.

yeah I was gonna say the same thing bc these goals are far too high unless you actually find that everything is rlly that easy to you 💀

carrotsss

HSC

I’m assuming they mean the scaled marks, which you don’t get to see but the total of them is ranked to form your atar

carrotsss

HSC
Yes that should be enough, I’d especially focus on English and bio because they make the biggest difference per mark at that stage and with a 91 in English you might not get .9

bluepumpkins

HSC
Yes that should be enough, I’d especially focus on English and bio because they make the biggest difference per mark at that stage and with a 91 in English you might not get .9
Thanks, I'll definitely try and improve in English.

hehe43

HSC
Depends if you're talking raw or scaled. If they are raw internal marks then it depends a lot on your school. If they are scaled marks then chuck them in an atar calculator and see if it puts out 99.90+. If they're raw external marks then they'd probably be good enough, just double check with rawmarks.info and an atar calculator.

Also depends what your "other subject" is, not all scaled marks are equal.

carrotsss

HSC
Depends if you're talking raw or scaled. If they are raw internal marks then it depends a lot on your school. If they are scaled marks then chuck them in an atar calculator and see if it puts out 99.90+. If they're raw external marks then they'd probably be good enough, just double check with rawmarks.info and an atar calculator.

Also depends what your "other subject" is, not all scaled marks are equal.
I believe they are referring to scaled marks in the actual definition (eg the ones from the UAC scaling reports which are hidden, but are what’s used to determine your percentile for your ATAR), and aligned marks (the technical name for the “scaled” marks on rawmarks) for their goals, I may be wrong though

For determining marks for really high ATAR goals scaled marks are pretty important rather than just ATAR calculators, as you can usually get a more precise estimate by determining the marks yourself using the UAC scaling report as calculators have flaws (eg ATAR compass includes the last 5 years, some of which are old syllabus and different difficulty)

hehe43

HSC
I believe they are referring to scaled marks in the actual definition (eg the ones from the UAC scaling reports which are hidden, but are what’s used to determine your percentile for your ATAR), and aligned marks (the technical name for the “scaled” marks on rawmarks) for their goals, I may be wrong though

For determining marks for really high ATAR goals scaled marks are pretty important rather than just ATAR calculators, as you can usually get a more precise estimate by determining the marks yourself using the UAC scaling report as calculators have flaws (eg ATAR compass includes the last 5 years, some of which are old syllabus and different difficulty)
Atar calculators are based off uac's data, all they do is convert scaled marks to atar contributions. Uac recently released a calculator themselves, so it's really unnecessary to calculate from the data oneself.

carrotsss

HSC
Atar calculators are based off uac's data, all they do is convert scaled marks to atar contributions. Uac recently released a calculator themselves, so it's really unnecessary to calculate from the data oneself.
  • Pedantic but ATAR calculators convert aligned marks (the marks you actually get) to ATAR, scaled marks are ATAR contributions
  • ATAR compass includes the last 5 years, some of which are old syllabus and different difficulty. Like for example, physics 2022 is very different to 2018 physics. This isn’t unfounded, many people posted getting lower atars than predicted by ATAR compass last year
  • I’d agree that its not at all necessary to convert the data oneself, but as I said, for high ATAR goals it gives more precise insights into which subjects are lowering your ATAR (which ATAR compass doesn’t give at all) and because of the tight gaps between marks at the top, precision is pretty important for working out goals
But yeah I guess you’re right, it isn’t necessary but imo it is an interesting thing to do and gives a better understanding

hehe43

HSC
  • Pedantic but ATAR calculators convert aligned marks (the marks you actually get) to ATAR, scaled marks are ATAR contributions
  • ATAR compass includes the last 5 years, some of which are old syllabus and different difficulty. Like for example, physics 2022 is very different to 2018 physics. This isn’t unfounded, many people posted getting lower atars than predicted by ATAR compass last year
  • I’d agree that its not at all necessary to convert the data oneself, but as I said, for high ATAR goals it gives more precise insights into which subjects are lowering your ATAR (which ATAR compass doesn’t give at all) and because of the tight gaps between marks at the top, precision is pretty important for working out goals
But yeah I guess you’re right, it isn’t necessary but imo it is an interesting thing to do and gives a better understanding
If you want to compare years you can use hsc ninja, and if you want to convert the data oneself I'd recommend using graphs such as the one attached rather than uac's data.

Attachments

carrotsss

HSC
If you want to compare years you can use hsc ninja, and if you want to convert the data oneself I'd recommend using graphs such as the one attached rather than uac's data.
Hsc ninja unfortunately hasn’t been updated since 2019 but I do use a similar graph

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
can u send this to me for english, math 3u 4u bio chem eco pls

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
this is the tip of the iceberg cough cough copyrighted stuff
Since coaching colleges send medical students into UMAT/ UCAT exams specifically to access their question banks and employ same medical students as coaches for med school interviews despite applicants having signed nondisclosure agreements, I am sceptical about their position on ‘copyrighted stuff’. The billion dollar coaching industry is a gigantic ‘elephant in the room’ within the education sector - they are happy with being the ‘elephant in the room’ so as far as I’m concerned if we are pretending that we don’t see or hear this gigantic elephant even though we can clearly see the mess in the room, then any secret premium resources that people stumble upon is like finding a $100 note that somebody has dropped.

Last edited:

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
yh the marks are good, but at the moment its better to focus on the intermittent goals (i.e. ensure you master a module before an internal task).....and then as you are about to do the HSC, revisit your stance.... Just do as best as you can, which will only ever make you better without the unwarranted stress.

nathanzhou1234

HSC

My current aims:

I think yes with 98+ 4U

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)