What makes a good essay (1 Viewer)

drexxx

HSC
hello,
ive got to write essays for the rest of my HSC year and i still dont know how to make a good essay. i always hand up formatives to the teacher and i get back like 10 out of 20 even though im reasonably smart. e.g i do extension maths. So i am wondering why english is the only subject i suck at. Can someone please tell me what you should do. i know that you have an intro and then body which consits of . technique > how effects responders > then reflection. but why do i keep getting crap marks.
thanks

stainmepink

HSC
you should ask your teacher because the teacher is ultimately the person who decides what marks you get. its good that you know ur essay formula, but some teachers look specifically for certain things that you have to mention. take back your essay and ask why the hell you got that mark because you have a right to know.

or on the flipside, maybe your teacher cant teach

drexxx

HSC
your damn right but im rooted now. because my english half yearly exam is on monday. and ive written most of my essay. im in standard but i want to be the top of standard so im trying to learn how to have a great essay so to boost my rank. i cant ask the teacher now coz im a stooge and have left it too late.
thanks

raistlin

HSC
(as posted in another thread)
when i write essays i just think about "SEXY ESSAYS"
S- Statement
E- Emphasis
X- eXample
Y- whY? is it relevant?

Just remember to always include quotes, make sure your are answering the question and make links to the texts.

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
yeah SEXY is a great technique to follow

and also, try to blend techniques together (e.g. the alliteration of ___ conveys ___, thus further emphasised in the oxymoron ___)

Pokute-san

≧∀≦
HSC
...even though im reasonably smart. e.g i do extension maths. So i am wondering why english is the only subject i suck at.
What's that got to do with English?

=========
It might be too late, but, re-phrasing the essay question before every point or paragraph is important. I always forget to do that.

HSC
N/A
^ agreed.

The definition of "smart" is very subjective.... furthermore, proficiency in one area (particularly mathematics and english as they pretty much work on opposite sides of the brain) NEVER guarentees proficiency in another, particularly when they work in conflicting ways.

Maths, generally, is logical, problem-solving, objective.

English, generally, is not logical, theoretical, subjective.

Whilst it's not uncommon for people to do well in both subjects, they work in quite different ways for different ends. Until you can teach your brain to "switch" between english and maths modes, don't expect the Sine Rule to come in handy with essay format...

Back to essays:

When I look at essays, I'm really looking at what they say, and how they say it. Your content has to be good, yes, but so does the method in which you convey what you're trying to say. If I can't understand what you're saying (structural problems or language problems - NEVER use a word you don't understand!), then it's not good.

Have a look at your course outlines to see what the module is trying to teach you - give them what they want. Have a look at the marking rubric - you should be able to pick up what they want from there (normally something like "clear understanding of module guidelines and demonstrates this in sophisticated manner"). Whatever you do, the key words are simple, clear, and condensed. The less waffle you have, the better - quality over quantity!

EDIT:

Here is some absolutely GOLD essay advice from my friend (jhakka)

"A good essay is like a good skirt. Short enough to keep you interested, but long enough to cover the important bits."

Last edited:

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
glitterfairy said:
Maths, generally, is logical, problem-solving, objective.

English, generally, is not logical, theoretical, subjective.

Whilst it's not uncommon for people to do well in both subjects, they work in quite different ways for different ends. Until you can teach your brain to "switch" between english and maths modes, don't expect the Sine Rule to come in handy with essay format...
i will have to disagree slightly until i saw your part about switching sides. but you can fit the logic in maths into english or vice versa. though there is no set way in english to doing well, there is also no set way to get to the answer in maths. there could be several formats of working out to get your answer. no two solutions are the same.

now to get back to switching..you can apply your logic from maths to english. there is a formula to a great essay. but again, there is no one way of doing it. someone may write an essay in a certain way to achieve and to express their assets in language technique or essay format.

the use in high vocab can be likened to short cuts and dire logic in maths. they both earn you easy marks, or quick induced marks as one could say.

for good essays that i just thought up:

1. what does the question require you to answer?
2. what do you know about this module?
3. what concepts can you apply to answer this question?
4. what reference to your texts can you use to answer your question? level of strength in your points? what point should come first?
5. bullshit
6. ANSWER THE QUESTION
7. burn the exam with a lighter :D

HSC
N/A
I disagree slightly :p But since we're staying nice and civil, there's no great reason to mind yet :)

Whilst I agree there are several different ways of answering a maths problem, I argue that the ways of answering an essay question are far greater. Whilst there are a few general "formulas" running around "SEXY", "SEE", "the hamburger" etc etc, I've found that most people who use this format as their "formula" rarely get anything higher than high band five, maybe low band six. Good for some, but if you're aiming for higher (which I guess we all should)...

I remember discussing this last year with someone. To a certain extent you can look at an essay with a formula in mind, and do particularly well. In fact, if your essay structure needs improvement, following one of the guides ("SEE" etc) is probably an excellent place to start, to familiarise yourself with basic essay format - what needs to be put in there, and how.

But when you start with the more hard-core integration and answering of the question, the "formulas" often just don't cut it. Although, they and guidelines can be useful (I think your list up above is more of a guideline) but I guess what I'm trying to say is that a really good essay, a really good one - just sort of flows. You don't have time to think "oh, I need to write my statement now... then I need a quote" because you're working on a slightly higher level. On a lot of high band 6 essays I've looked at, it's clear that they haven't followed any "formula at all" (I was able to check with most of them - they tend to use metaphors like "A good essay is like a good spine, all connected but with the little bits sticking out to support it" to describe essays, rather than statement/example/think/evidence/answer the question!").

Onto language now - yes, you can strike high in the sophistication stakes by using the sophisticated language, however you can almost make yourself look like a complete idiot when you use them in the wrong context. Markers aren't stupid. They can tell when you've used a thesaurus, even *I* can tell when a student has used a thesaurus.

My theory is that we write the way we think. Anything we don't understand and are able to use in context up here *taps head* isn't going to be understood and used in correct context down there *taps paper*. It's good to want to be fancy, but only if you know what you're talking about. Don't just insert the words into your essays - put them into your vocabulary as well.

*b*e*c*c*a*

hmmm....
HSC
Essays suck.. when i was in year 12 the teacher kept going on that yep she would teach us how to write a good essay and she never did so that's why every1 in the class except 1 sucked at writing essays. It was the teacher who didnt teach us properly.

Bibs

HSC
hmmmm.... or maybe

Yeah those are swell acrostic poems, but maybe it's not in the stucture. READ the question and always remember to link your ideas to what it asks you. throw in a couple of "smart like" words. teachers tell you it doesnt help, but it does add to the overall impression.
AND! throw in the jargon, markers want to here that crap.. "existentialism, Intertextuality, Anthropomorphism, etc" i hate saying this, but just remember.... you don't have to beleive in what you're saying, so long as you tell the markers everything they want to here. now, aren't we glad we have hall been stripped of our individuality and forced to adhere to the system. well, it makes for good essays....

roxi_17

English*******21
HSC
Essays are really hard to write and get advice on because everyone has their own individual style..
I have alot of trouble with my Intros and "outros".. The actual body is ok but the ends are lacking.
my english teacher has alwas said to have key quotes from the texts and to intergrate them into the text.. I tend to separate the quote then go on to talk about it which apparantly is not a good technique to have, so i hope that helps a little...

Katie_swtmint

HSC
remember I.D.E.A

I=Identifye
D=Describe
E= explain
A=Analyse

when you'r trying to underline a technique in a english essay, remember to use IDEA to explore the techniques, that should give you good marks, and even if you'r essay sounds crap, keep going as long as you indentify, describe, explain and analyse, you'll be fine.
take you'r last essay and ask you'r teacher to tell you what you can improve on for the HSC, trust me, take this info and expand on it.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
glitterfairy said:
I disagree slightly :p But since we're staying nice and civil, there's no great reason to mind yet :)

Whilst I agree there are several different ways of answering a maths problem, I argue that the ways of answering an essay question are far greater. Whilst there are a few general "formulas" running around "SEXY", "SEE", "the hamburger" etc etc, I've found that most people who use this format as their "formula" rarely get anything higher than high band five, maybe low band six. Good for some, but if you're aiming for higher (which I guess we all should)...

I remember discussing this last year with someone. To a certain extent you can look at an essay with a formula in mind, and do particularly well. In fact, if your essay structure needs improvement, following one of the guides ("SEE" etc) is probably an excellent place to start, to familiarise yourself with basic essay format - what needs to be put in there, and how.

But when you start with the more hard-core integration and answering of the question, the "formulas" often just don't cut it. Although, they and guidelines can be useful (I think your list up above is more of a guideline) but I guess what I'm trying to say is that a really good essay, a really good one - just sort of flows. You don't have time to think "oh, I need to write my statement now... then I need a quote" because you're working on a slightly higher level. On a lot of high band 6 essays I've looked at, it's clear that they haven't followed any "formula at all" (I was able to check with most of them - they tend to use metaphors like "A good essay is like a good spine, all connected but with the little bits sticking out to support it" to describe essays, rather than statement/example/think/evidence/answer the question!").

Onto language now - yes, you can strike high in the sophistication stakes by using the sophisticated language, however you can almost make yourself look like a complete idiot when you use them in the wrong context. Markers aren't stupid. They can tell when you've used a thesaurus, even *I* can tell when a student has used a thesaurus.

My theory is that we write the way we think. Anything we don't understand and are able to use in context up here *taps head* isn't going to be understood and used in correct context down there *taps paper*. It's good to want to be fancy, but only if you know what you're talking about. Don't just insert the words into your essays - put them into your vocabulary as well.
I like the skirt analogy.
Absolutely, the high band 6 essays just flow naturally - they don't have to think about it, they're in control, they don't have to worry about cramming everything around a set formula. But not all of us are that gifted unfortunately. Personally I reckon you've just got to know your texts well, and yeah, know how analyse and to bullshit.
I found it quite difficult to manage the maths/english split because I used to do 4 u of both - luckily no maths this year, but last year I'd go from an essay to a maths paper or vice versa and have problems concentrating, reverting my mind to the way of thinking required by each course. On the whole maths is easier, because there is only one right answer. With english every essay is different and some teachers mark hard, others easy, so...

Windytree

HSC
GLitterFairy! you are VERY coool indeeed!! hahah
ANd Cherryblossom! i know what you mean, I am a HSC student now who does 4U of maths and english!! ANNDD>..AHHH!! doing maths causes my English to deteriorate HAHHAA. ITs realy true that English and Maths use different sides of the brain..

Anyways, goood essays...HMM a SUPER good INTRO that answers question, body that is well intergrated and smashing conclusion.

Try to link each paragraph, so it crreates smOOTH reading..

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
don't make your essays too rigid, make it fluid, so that it flows from the intro to the paragraphs to the conclusion

i dont think those "formulas" work either, just remember to make it analytical rather than describing events/characters/details, etc, it's an essay, not a creative piece ;) just practice your essay writing, make your teacher mark it and read the feedback and keep at it..

btw, i dont see how being 'reasonably smart' in maths has anything to do with english.. maybe your brain is more structured, in a sense, like maths is :rolleyes:

keep at it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)