what make Dracula popular today? (1 Viewer)

LVictoria

HSC
What makes Bram Stoker's Dracula still popular today?

LVictoria

HSC
Re: what makes Dracula popular today?

thankyou that was so helpful

vegpride

HSC
hey, i have to do an assignment on english for this right now and im having similiar trouble ):
im saying that it portrays universal themes. so far ive written about sexuality and the supernatural
hope this helps :)

HSC
i did that exact same in class essay last year & got 10/10 for extension :)
basically i wrote about:
- universal themes
- monstrosity as a popular genre convention
- the idea of the non-human and 'undead' conjures fear and horror which appeals to many.
- themes result in an adrenalin reaction.
- the common motifs of blood and death
- deals with issues of the time suchas rising feminism however hollywood is constantly projecting dracula on the stage making hum truly immortal in order to appeal to ongoing generations.
- idea of liberation defies common beliefs.
- represents everything we want and fear and although the audeince knows Dracula is evil there is still a fascination with this wicked entity.

posey-rose

The lost member
HSC
dracula... or really any "true" vampire represents the taboos of society. Texts like dracula allow people to talk about this taboos in a more acceptable manner.
that's what i learnt from Dracula. he embodies the taboos of the context, for example in Stoker's day, there was a large fear of foreigners and foreigners coming into England (represented in Dracula-who is a foreigner... and comes to england).

isabe

HSC
Dracula also embodies the tabooes about sex, (which is also why Twilight is so popular) but it's hidden behind the blood lust thing, which really is just a metaphor for a desire for sex that's almost bestial. i think when dracula came out it really shocked people because of the way the charecters like Lucy and Mina who were supposed to be virgins and really innocent, but when they met Dracula, they got really sensual. so i suppose the reason that Dracula is so popular is because it's all about sex.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)