What major are you gona chooose? (1 Viewer)

is a roflcopter
HSC
i have no idea what major to choose
jebus fucken crust

its either accounting or finance

damn this single major shit ~~~

:mad:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
most law kids I kno do Finance as their major

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
can't u do a double major...oh wait, not for combined degrees eh?

u know at usyd, a double major doesn't mean studying co-majors, just studying a single major to greater depth...

B

Bambul

Yeah, finance/law is pretty popular. But finance is pretty useless. Once you graduate they have to teach you all the practical stuff that you will need to use. If you want something that you will use, then I suggest accounting. It is very versatile and goes well with law.

If you are doing law you don't really have to choose your major until start of second year and it won't make a difference. Actually that's not 100 true. If you want to do finance, then I would suggest dropping Macro1 in 2nd session and doing FINS1613 (you can do macro1 later in your degree but you need to do some finance subjects early). You need to do FINS1613 for accoutning anyway, so I would suggest doing this.

Oh, and go to O-Week! :)

maniacguy

Accounting's not too bad, and finance, well, No. That's all I can say about it. No. And I've done two subjects, which is enough to convince me that anyone who did 3u maths for the hsc could go to sleep throughout the course, wake up for stuvac and cram it all in.

Especially when 80% of the assessment is multiple choice (it happened for one subject - of the other 20, 8 was for class participation :rolleyes:)

fitz33

HSC
what do most people choose as a co-major with actuarial studies... i hear the most popular is finance but then lots of people seem to think it's pretty useless, because everything you really need to know about finance is covered in the actuarial major...
what other major would be useful with actuarial?

kaseita

well, it may be useless, but ppl in the business world like to see finance if ur goina do actl studies

other good majors are comp sci, accounting, and maths

@lbert3269

I want to do a co major of Accounting and Information Systems in B Commerce but i'm not sure how to enrol into those courses.

Each semester offers 3 core subjects and 1 elective. How would i enrol BOTH in accounting and Info Sys when they only allow me to chose 1 elective per semester ? Please help cause enrolments are coming up FAST !

D

d00d

i think u might do the other elective in the next semester... not sure

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
probably gonna do business economics

or maybe international business

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by @lbert3269
I want to do a co major of Accounting and Information Systems in B Commerce but i'm not sure how to enrol into those courses.

Each semester offers 3 core subjects and 1 elective. How would i enrol BOTH in accounting and Info Sys when they only allow me to chose 1 elective per semester ? Please help cause enrolments are coming up FAST !
u enrol in your INFS elective - because Accounting is already a core subject in both semesters in 1st year, so there are no Accounting "electives" in 1st year

@lbert3269

Oh okay thanx Minai..

Btw.. what do we learn in Info. Sys. and what's this Professional Recognition : Australian Computer Society ? Is that any good ?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh okay thanx Minai..

Btw.. what do we learn in Info. Sys. and what's this Professional Recognition : Australian Computer Society ? Is that any good ?
I have no idea! didnt do any INFS subjects
Id suggest u read up here maybe: http://www.sistm.unsw.edu.au/

addz

HSC
Originally posted by Bambul

You need to do FINS1613 for accoutning anyway, so I would suggest doing this.

how come this would be better??
to get it out of the way??
or coz macro is a bore?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by addz
how come this would be better??
to get it out of the way??
or coz macro is a bore?
I guess to experience some finance in 1st year, rather than starting finance in 2nd year, 1 year behind all the straight commerce students

santaslayer

HSC
im gonna do accounting for my commerce major.....gos good wif law
finance...i have no idea.....sounds pretty tedious

@lbert3269

Hmm.. i've changed my mind and i want to do a co-major of Accounting and Marketing in B Commerce. (Do they go well ?)

I heard that the marketing major needs to be done in a logical sequence where you gotta complete certain subjects first to progress onto others.. So how will i go about in enrolling into subjects for semester 1 and 2 (core subjects + electives) for year 1 ? *Looks at Minai* :D

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I heard that the marketing major needs to be done in a logical sequence where you gotta complete certain subjects first to progress onto others.. So how will i go about in enrolling into subjects for semester 1 and 2 (core subjects + electives) for year 1 ? *Looks at Minai* :D
When Feb 2. comes along, u need to enrol into these subjects for Semester 1:
ACCT1501 Accounting and Financial Management 1A
ECON1101 Microeconomics 1
ECON1202 Quantitative Methods A
Elective:
MARK1012 Marketing Fundamentals [Required for Major and prerequisite for MARK2051 and MARK2052 in 2nd year]

Semester 2:
ACCT1511 Accounting and Financial Management 1B
ECON1102 Macroeconomics 1
ECON1203 Quantitative Methods B
Elective:
MARK1014 Customer Releationship Management

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)