• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What laptop should I buy? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
What are the waranty options like for mac book pros? I don't want to pay a shit load for a laptop, then a shit load for a warranty that only covers me for a year (then have my laptop over heat or something straight after a year is up)
also, how good is linux? I've never used it, but i've heard great things. can you use it on macs?
linux is the best operating system and yes you can use it on mac

pretty much every electrical thing that computes runs on linux e.g. your microwave, dvd player, tv most likely run on linux

in fact mac osx is really closely related to linux, they are both based off an earlier os called unix

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
linux is the best operating system and yes you can use it on mac

pretty much every electrical thing that computes runs on linux e.g. your microwave, dvd player, tv most likely run on linux

in fact mac osx is really closely related to linux, they are both based off an earlier os called unix
err not a version, just UNIX in general, and yes, OSX is based off UNIX

--

Warranty is a 1 yr, but you can buy apple care which covers it and everything in it for 3 years, get student edition, it saves $$$

robertmartin

Banned
HSC
N/A
You should buy a laptop from a reputable brand like HP, Toshiba, Acer, Dell, Sony... all of them are very good, at least 4 GB of RAM is much better, and here you can have it (at the most reliable and trustable site for purchasing online since over 16 years).

karablack037

HSC
Picking out a computer can be difficult especially with a salesman on commision breathing down your neck. Simply put, it depends on how you plan to use the laptop. If you plan to use it for things like word processing, excel spreadsheets, internet & e-mail then I would recommend the following:

Core 2 Duo Processor
Windows Vista/7
1-2 Gigabytes of RAM (Memory)
80+ GB Hard Drive space

jacobadam

Banned
HSC
Dont get Dell laptops you will regret it i reccomend a HP pavillion or a Toshiba Satlite maybe a Acer with a good battery (When I like Barack Obama)
I have a Toshiba Mini NB505 and i like it and its only 300 dollars just dont do to much gaming :p

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Picking out a computer can be difficult especially with a salesman on commision breathing down your neck. Simply put, it depends on how you plan to use the laptop. If you plan to use it for things like word processing, excel spreadsheets, internet & e-mail then I would recommend the following:

Core 2 Duo Processor
Windows Vista/7
1-2 Gigabytes of RAM (Memory)
80+ GB Hard Drive space
Can you even get Core 2 Duos any more?

karablack037

HSC
While the Macs have cool looks, they are only overpriced kids toys and are also incompatible for most things you will need to do. Plus you can hardly do any gaming on a Mac...

Get a PC Laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium. Here's what to look for when buying one:

The brand (HP, Toshiba, Dell, Sony, etc) does not matter all that much, it's what's inside that matters most. They are all Made in China anyways...

Get an Intel Core i5 or Core i7 CPU (Processor). DO NOT GET AMD OR PENTIUM processors.

Get at least 4GB of RAM Memory (DDR3 preferred, DDR2 is also OK). 8GB RAM is best but will cost extra.

Make sure it has dedicated graphics (a Graphics Card or GPU) of at least 512MB. GPU of 1GB or more is better, but more expensive. It should say either nVidia or Radeon (ATI) on the graphics.

DO NOT GET Integrated Graphics (on board or from processor) - if it says Intel Graphics or Intel HD Graphics is Integrated.

While SSD hard drives are best and fastest, they are way too expensive and small in size (64GB to 256GB), thus not recommended for a laptop, where you only have a single hard drive installed.

Get a normal, spin hard drive of at least 500GB (1TB or more is better, but will cost more). Seagate hard drives are the best, the WD Caviar are also OK.

It should have incorporated Webcam and Microphone on top of the screen (most laptops have them nowadays).

Make sure you have at least 4 USB ports (if one or more are USB 3.0 all the best, but USB 2.0 are OK).

The Firewire (IEEE 1394) and the e-Sata ports are good to have, but not mandatory.

At least a DVD/CD writer drive. A BD (Blue Ray drive) is more expensive and not necessary.

Of course you want WiFi (wireless) and ethernet connection.

Make sure it has at least an 8 cell battery (10 cell is better but cost more). This will ensure better battery life, both between charges use and overall battery life.

Get the Windows 7 Home Premium operating system. Do not get Windows 7 Starter or Home Basic.

You might wanna print this and give to the store tech guy when you go shopping for a laptop.

Good luck.

HSC
Uni Grad
While the Macs have cool looks, they are only overpriced kids toys and are also incompatible for most things you will need to do. Plus you can hardly do any gaming on a Mac...
macbook air is the best value laptop in its class, please find me another 10"-12" ultraportable with comparable specs and in the same price range

kid's toys? mac osx is the industry standard in creative arts fields e.g. graphic design, video editing, music etc.

incompatible? what can you do on a windows pc that you can't on osx? pretty much all popular professional programs are available on osx (ms office, sony vegas, adobe creative suite etc.)

gaming on osx is developing, steam has recently launched on osx so that's a good start

----

on top of that, bootcamp allows windoze to be installed on a mac making your arguments invalid

Get a PC Laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium. Here's what to look for when buying one:

The brand (HP, Toshiba, Dell, Sony, etc) does not matter all that much, it's what's inside that matters most. They are all Made in China anyways...

Get an Intel Core i5 or Core i7 CPU (Processor). DO NOT GET AMD OR PENTIUM processors.
no, upcoming amd mobile cpus are better than intel's offerings

amd llano is faster, draws less power and has MUCH better integrated graphics

^^ amd a8 vs i7 sandy bridge

amd is already ahead in the subnotebook market (netbooks etc.), with last year's amd c50 destroying the intel atom n550 in all those aspects listed above

there have also been rumours about apple switching to amd platforms

Get at least 4GB of RAM Memory (DDR3 preferred, DDR2 is also OK). 8GB RAM is best but will cost extra.
no ddr2 is not okay, buying outdated tech is a stupid idea, what happens when in 6 months time you want to upgrade? looking for old parts at a reasonable price is a nightmare

ddr3 ONLY if you're buying a new computer

lol 8gb ram is not much more, adding an extra 4gb stick will only cost ~$25

Make sure it has dedicated graphics (a Graphics Card or GPU) of at least 512MB. GPU of 1GB or more is better, but more expensive. It should say either nVidia or Radeon (ATI) on the graphics.

DO NOT GET Integrated Graphics (on board or from processor) - if it says Intel Graphics or Intel HD Graphics is Integrated.
you buy dedicated graphics if you need it (gaming, hardware accelerated processing etc.), otherwise it's stupid and unneccessary, it will only drain your battery quicker (there is nvidia optimus but that doesn't work with linux) and make your wallet lighter

just because it says "nvidia" or "ati" doesn't mean it has discrete graphics you tard, both of them make integrated graphics too (majority of their sales probably)

While SSD hard drives are best and fastest, they are way too expensive and small in size (64GB to 256GB), thus not recommended for a laptop, where you only have a single hard drive installed.

Get a normal, spin hard drive of at least 500GB (1TB or more is better, but will cost more). Seagate hard drives are the best, the WD Caviar are also OK.
no ssds are fine because laptops aren't meant to be your primary computer, they are to supplement a desktop computer at home

laptops are meant to be portable, ssd makes them more durable and uses less power so makes for longer battery life

plus you can get an external hdd

regular laptop 2.5" drives are too slow, they only spin at 5400rpm

no seagate isn't the best, i'm not sure about laptops but in the 3.5" market samsung offers the best drives (price vs. performance)

It should have incorporated Webcam and Microphone on top of the screen (most laptops have them nowadays).
this is standard, even the cheapest netbook will have them

Make sure you have at least 4 USB ports (if one or more are USB 3.0 all the best, but USB 2.0 are OK).
at least 4? lol m8 most laptops have only 3

you don't even need 3

i've hardly used the usb ports on my macbook at all, everything is done wirelessly

also, thunderbolt > usb 3

The Firewire (IEEE 1394) and the e-Sata ports are good to have, but not mandatory.
lol even the inventors of firewire (apple) have ditched it, it's dead technology

e-sata is good but a waste, it is a port which serves only one purpose (storage), usb3 and thunderbolt can both serve this role effectively while also being useful for many other things

At least a DVD/CD writer drive. A BD (Blue Ray drive) is more expensive and not necessary.
fucking lol, it's 2011, if you are still using optical media then you are doing it wrong

Of course you want WiFi (wireless) and ethernet connection.
as above, it's 2011 why are you still using wired internet?

Make sure it has at least an 8 cell battery (10 cell is better but cost more). This will ensure better battery life, both between charges use and overall battery life.
more cells is not for everyone, more cells = more weight

and it depends on the laptop, netbooks can get away with a 6 cell and still last 10 hours etc.

Get the Windows 7 Home Premium operating system. Do not get Windows 7 Starter or Home Basic.
this isn't for everyone, some (most) people will only ever require the features already present in the lesser versions

You might wanna print this and give to the store tech guy when you go shopping for a laptop.
i'd recommend against this, your advice was pretty shit, you don't seem to know much about computers, your experience seems to be fabricated from hearsay

Good luck.
lol

Last edited:

Blastus

Liberty Matrix
HSC
N/A
You haven't heard of defraging, have you?

Also, you don't have to reformat on Linux either, EXT is an awesome file system.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH YOU FUCKING IDIOT JOURNALLING DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY HAHAHAHAHAHAH fuck

Blastus

Liberty Matrix
HSC
N/A
ext4 is a fucking terrible filesystem but it is better than ext3

zfs for life

marygoss

HSC
N/A
Before buying check these things:TN, PVA/MVA, and IPS

TN = considered the hardcore gaming monitor, lowest color accuracy, fastest response time/input lag due to low need of processing. Worst viewing angles.

PVA/MVA = Highest contrast ratio, decent input lag/response time. Ghosting is an issue, blacks crush as well. If you Don't know what black crushing is, it's basically details in darker areas merging together into a giant block, aka, black crush.

IPS= Best in terms of color accuracy, faster response time than PVA/MVA, but not as fast as tn. Most expensive.

cheezcake

Callipygian Member
HSC
Lol fuck me so many fanboys, macs are fine (but they are not jesus reincarnate)
They have a fair few gimmicky features not really worth it, but they do have a very nice construction and anyone who denies osx is insanely user friendly is retarded

OE's got the gist of it, I think a macbook air is right up your alley

a pro might be overkill though

(in general windows laptops tend to suck balls, macbooks are much better, iMacs however I don't really think are worth it)

cha737may

Banned
HSC
but I think you should buy a HP or any kinds of Dell because this type of laptop are so interesting and so fast working. so it does not matter how long you watch movie. But for games this are not perfect. Even from this site http://e-learningzoo.blogspot.com/ i have found some technique that why i need to buy HP and Dell. BUt yes mac is good but as one user already told about some useless parts

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)