What language to use for Major Project? (1 Viewer)

zvyx

HSC
Hi,
I have approximately half a year to be proficient enough in a language to create my major project (for 2008). My question is: What programming language should I use for my project?

Is C++ too tough to be able to start using? I've been dabbling with the basics of C++ (some basic classes, some functions) and object-oriented programming using two seriously outdated books printed before Y2K :p
I say "dabble" meaning roughly a few tens of hours looking at it; programming a few, etc.

I've also been using VB6 for Year 11 Software, and I'm not exactly proficient in it either; so I'm sort of in a bit of a position :p

Also, what do teachers in general look for? Should I attempt to do something that stands out (i have four classmates for Software next year lol) or something that I can comfortably complete but it won't be impressive in any way?

Thanks in advance for any help :D

Edit: I forgot to mention what my project was supposed to be :p
My teacher is looking for a game; he was suggesting something along the lines of Battleships (a past project) and Chess (a suggestion for me).

Winston

HSC
That's dependant on your own preference, some people are naturally intimidated by syntax, and becomes thrown off with learning X language.

You mentioned you've done VB6, you can continue you on in using VB6, or you can switch to VB.NET.

Personal recommendation would be a managed language.

Something like VB.NET, C#, or Java.

Either one would be ideal.

You also mentioned you're going to be making a game, once again depending on if you want to further pursue in software development after your high school studies, you might want to pick the easy way out and stick with VB6, and download sample code and work off that, it's really common for past students to make games like the aforementioned ones using VB6.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
HSC
I used PHP for major in yr12 and PHP as well in year 11. Because PHP just rocks.

As for C++ being too hard, the teach won't be looking for quantity or quality, but the development process itself.

If you genuanly learn a lot of stuff making the project, you can and will get full marks.

As for what you should make, try to think of something different to what everyone else is making.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
At least you get a major project =/ I'm doing it DE and my DEC is crap.

I would recommend a decent modern language like Python or PHP.

If you're good at making webpages one good way to do a project is to write it as a web application using PHP or one of the many Python web frameworks. It's easier to program, but you may have trouble getting hosting for it, unless you want to run the server yourself.

VB6 is easy, but it's not a real language ;)

HSC
ajdlinux said:
VB6 is easy, but it's not a real language ;)
That.

Ruby on Rails would also be a good choice.

Also, in regards to hosting, you don't need it hosted, just test it on a local webserver environment and hand it in in the same fashion as online scripts like phpbb, drupal, etc are distributed.

ajdlinux

HSC
Yes, RoR is also a choice.

Just remember that not all SDD teachers are smart enough to set up a web app. You could of course use one of those 'server-on-a-CD' apps or mod XAMPP or something, but that's probably overkill.

zvyx

HSC
First off, thank you all very much for your thoughts =)

Re: Winston,
I'm not really intimidated by learning anything hard, I was thinking of whether C++ would be too complex to learn and semi-master in a year; VB.NET and Java sounds good since I have the kits for both - I'll think about them since I have the materials required to learn the languages.

Re: Starcraftmazter and ajdlinux,
Web programming isn't really my kind of thing, but thanks for the suggestion anyways. I've looked at Ruby on Rails (never even heard of it, or Ruby lol) and it does sound interesting but I'm not sure I would use it.
Python's another one that my teacher had thrown up in his little talks - I'll look into Python a bit more and think about that as well.

I've downloaded the DirectX SDK so I'm looking into using that with C++ if I can master it in time (since I have some demanding subjects in terms of amount of time at home spent studying for), do Python and Java support the DirectX SDK? (DirectX 9 or 8 SDKs)

ajdlinux

HSC
Web programming does add a layer of complexity when making a game, but depending on the type of game you want it can be much easier and higher mark scoring.

There is a DirectX extension for Python called DirectPython, however I would highly recommend (no matter which language you use) that you learn OpenGL rather than DirectX. OpenGL is an open standard and is cross-platform, and it is much better supported in some languages like Python and exists on Linux and Mac too.

Java has various extensions, Java3D, JOGL, etc. that exist at various levels and support either Direct3D or OpenGL.

dumarab

HSC
Look to me all programming languages are the same, it's the logic thats hard.

If you make an algorithim thats really efficient but you use Visual Basic the teacher would like it more than a crappy algorithim using C++.

However if your confident with OOP, OOP can be very powerful.
And use C++ and implement OOP principles.
If you making a game or something OOP should be good.
I made a poker and black jack game so the whole OOP principle was good

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)