what language do you think in? (1 Viewer)

ZJ NingNing

HSC
just wondering because my first language is Mandarin and I have been to Australia for 7 years. and already I am thinking in English most of the time.

dont know if it is a bad thing. I mean, true, I need all the practice I can get with English, but I dont want to forget my native language either.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
I'm almost on the same boat as you. I've been in Aust for 10 years... Mand is my first language. I think in English most of the time. Although been not a language person, I'm not good in either English or Mand....

Btw, I like SHE's super star as well.... and your DP, it's steph sun right?

ZJ NingNing

HSC
xiao1985 said:
I'm almost on the same boat as you. I've been in Aust for 10 years... Mand is my first language. I think in English most of the time. Although been not a language person, I'm not good in either English or Mand....

OMG I have just found a new good friend, is it okay to add you as a friend? I love SHE's superstar, and Stef Sun is one of my favourite singers. have you heard SHE's song 'Electrified' ('Chu Dian') or 'I dont wanna grow up'? or 'Bo Si Mao'?

do you like Jay Chou?

love your siggy, only I think the second one might have been 'Don't cry because it's over now; smile because it happened' but then, it could just be a different version. =)

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Been here for 11 years, everything is in English except speaking at home.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
been here for 16 years, but think in both english and canto.

Collin

HSC
N/A
I've been here 16 years and I think in English, except for when I'm counting from one to ten.

Collin

HSC
N/A
xiao1985 said:

Hi Xiao baby!

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
hi hi colin, how've you been? <3

@ZJ Ningning: Yes, I heard all of the songs you mentioned =)
But SHE is not my favourite singers though. My fav is JJ Lin. SHE's songs are nice from time to time, too.

And one of my best friends got me into steph, and she's nice too =D

p4e81

Domesticated Daydreamer
HSC
in aus for 8 years now. thinking in english most of the time.

HSC
N/A
回复: Re: what language do you think in?

more than 4 yrs less than 5 yrs...

well...... it seems pretty weird that i'm lossing all my linguistic skills...... orz......
i think in both chinese and english, but mostly in chinese, and i might use english to replace the word i don't know how to express in chinese while communicating......

kennychan222

HSC
Re: 回复: Re: what language do you think in?

Cantonese is only my language spoken at home other than English...but I still only write and Reading in English only.

GreenLeaf

consultant
HSC
N/A
Re: 回复: Re: what language do you think in?

ilovecommunism said:
i might use english to replace the word i don't know how to express in chinese while communicating......
Oh god, I hate how they do that in movies.. especially with simple words like 'bag' at the end of every sentence..that they pronounce in their fobby accent so it distorts to 'baaaaag'. Makes me cringe.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Been here for 3 years. Think in English. Hardly speak my native language except at home. But I sometimes try to search for opportunities where I can read & speak my own native language. I am very much Australian-ised and Amercanised, the fact that I am quite ashamed of.

I act as a translator for my school since my school has many Korean people who cannot speak English properly. And love learning other languages such as Japanese and Mandarin and appreciate other languages.

P.S. I initially didn't know who Jay Chou was but got myself to know who he is when my Chinese friends in year 11 and 12 started calling me Jay Chou because my hairstyle was similar to his. You should have seen how surprised I was when they came up calling me 'Jay!' when I didn't even know who that guy was.

EDIT: Just in case someone asks me: my avatar is NOT my photo

Last edited:

Jay Chou

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
P.S. I initially didn't know who Jay Chou was but got myself to know who he is when my Chinese friends in year 11 and 12 started calling me Jay Chou because my hairstyle was similar to his. You should have seen how surprised I was when they came up calling me 'Jay!' when I didn't even know who that guy was.

EDIT: Just in case someone asks me: my avatar is NOT my photo
You'll never be me.

itadakimus

procrastinator
HSC
Lol I think in both English and Chinese [Canto, Mando or Shangho lol]
But usually English and then Shanghainese/Canto next

Jessicaz2910

HSC
yer i mix up chinese and english... when i find a word i can't express in english i use chinese and vice versa

samthebear

HSC
i always think in english - considering its my first languge lol. i tried thinking in chinese once. it failed =P

crystal3286

HSC
i think in canto most of the time but sometimes eng too
i even dream in eng sometimes :haha:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)