What is your all time favourite book? (1 Viewer)

HSC
my sisters keeper- jodi picoult
the lovely bones- alice sebold
Harry Potter -JK Rowling
Ruby/Petals on the wind- VC Andrews
Innocent Fire- Brenda Joyce

black_raven777

HSC
Just read across the nightingale floor, was a little bit disappointed, but anyhoo:

The City of Joy: Dominique Lapierre
Calcutta, 1960's, story of a missionary and a refugee - very moving

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
.. SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELLING PANTS ! ..

to kill a mockingbird & girl meets boy were good too .. ^^

war of the world sucked ! .. although the movie was good !! =]

VirtualCircuit

HSC
'The End of Eternity - Issac Asamov', short but good =p

Also just finished reading 'Tobruk - Peter Fitzsimons', love reading books that tell history as a story, and he did a great job of it.

imaginarylife

HSC
Ahh, so many ...
Harry Potter, Hobbit & LOTR
Obernewtyn - Isobelle Carmody
Mimus - Lilli Thal
The Outsider - Albert Camus
High Valley - Charmian Clift and George Johnston
Catcher in The Rye - JD Salinger
Johnno - David Malouf
Pagan's Crusade - C Jinks
ah there are so many more

white lady

No Motivation Whatsoever
HSC
Hmm.............what's my all time favourite book (at the moment). Let me think. Soo many books, soo hard to choose. it's got 2 b either LOTR or Persuasion.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
"Patrick" by Stephen Lawhead. Still read parts of it from time to time...

BlackDragon

HSC
Spot's First Walk of course

And the canonical, Where's Spot?

lol no seriously, these books have a great place in my childhood. :)

Last edited:

Faytle

open fire.
HSC
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden.

Didn't really like the movie though :(.

Artemis.

HSC
Mine is most probably The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, by Agatha Christie.

furansugo

HSC
As an avid reader, there is a large number of publications which I find reputable/astonishing. The list includes:

'Crime and Punishment' (Fyodor Dostoyevsky) - although the title may seem slightly offputting, the story encapulates themes which not only jolt the reader's morals, but pose as philosophical arguments that challenge our percepetion of the world. Among other things. It's also testament to the exceptional literary craftsmanship prevalent in Russia during the 19th century.
'A Brief History of Time' (Stephen Hawking) - while the ideas a presented in an elementary format, it's a fine introduction to physics and the startling concepts proposed by certain theories. It certainly kindled my interest in science when I was in primary school, but I think that it's an entertaining read for students of all ages.
'A Beautiful Mind' (Sylvie Nasar - I think!) - this is the poignant biography of superstar mathematician John Forbes Nash Jr., and eloquently tells the tale of his battle with schizophrenia. A very worthwhile read.
'Anna Karenina' (Leo Tolstoy) - Tolstoy paints a vivid portrait of the tension, passion and care behind relationships. It's a very light read, but definitely one which weaves the arts of delicacy, depth and description into a wonderfully detailed tapestry.
However, when it comes to eloquent literature, nothing surpasses Shakespeare. I find the use of metaphors, similes, analogies, dialogue, and melodrama creates a rich potion which sings of the beauty of our English language.
:D I love to read.

Lockhart

Fugitive/assasin
HSC
I always thought it would be impossible to ever find a best book ever written; I had a few favourites, that is till I read Cervantes "Don Quixote". It is my favourite and the best book I have ever read. One of the first novels ever written, he has a way of building into the text and has given me the most ever to think about. I sat for hour thinking about it when I finished it for an hour.

Let me say I have read hitchhikers, Lord of the Rings Hobbit and others, To kill a mocking Bird, Leo Tolstoy’s War and Peace, The tomorrow series, Phillip Pullman, all the works of CS Lewis including the Screwtape letters Narnia series, Dumas "Count of Monte Christo", Thomas Moore's Utopia, Machiavelli’s the Prince and about 80 % of the books mentioned on this thread. Never in my life have I enjoyed a book more and never have I seen a more stand alone work as "Don Quixote".

Having said that the other ones I have mentioned are certainly worth reading on one level or another and they rank as some of my favourites. But I’m afraid that cevant5ies must be and probably will remain my favourite author of all time!

ccc123

HSC
Admittedly, I 'm not exactly what you'd call an avid reader, but a few of my favourites are:

* The Power Of One- Bryce Courtenay- eloquently written and is an inspiring tale about rising in the face of adversity...read it like 10 times.
* Down Under- Bill Bryson- witty and original.
* Looking For Alibrandi- Melina Machetta- Those with Italian backgrounds will easily relate to it.
* What she wants- Cathy Kelly- Quite girly and quasi-corny but nevertheless an easy read.

*Minka*

HSC
BlackDragon said:
Spot's First Walk of course

Thats my favourite too!

Why?

Because that was the first book I was given when I moved here and started to learn English. And a couple of months later, I read and understood it and I was very pleased with myself!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)