what is "the wild" in BR and BNW (1 Viewer)

Ataturk

hey guys. preparing for my BR/BNW assessment which is coming up.
i've made notes on everything except what is specifically the wild in BR and BNW and am having a lil bit of trouble trying to figure out exactly what it is.

i have a vague idea for both texts, im not sure if its right or not. these are just a couple of ideas, i need to know whether or not im on the right track...

'the wild' in BNW:
The way of life in the savage reservation
John's natural emotional responses to the brave new world
Bernard and Helmholtz urge to know more than what they are told

"the wild" in BR:
the love affair between deckard and rachael
the fact that replicants' quest for longevity, companionship etc.
roy's reaction to his companion's deaths
the way roy saves dekcards life

feel free to correct me. I am an immigrant and even thought im at a selective school my inglish isnt very good :p

Cab31

HSC
The worst thing about this unit is how it is named. Honestly, the most stupid way to name this unit is 'in the wild' because (as i was last year) most students freak out that 'in the wild' is not completely defined.

Think about it like this, in BNW we are presented with a society that is scientifically conditioned to be 'afraid' of nature. They are afraid of the 'natural wilderness'. You must then consider what the 'wilderness' itself actually is. A winderness can mean something 'unfamiliar' and, as a result, you can say that the reader is viewing the society in the book as being an unfamiliar wilderness. These people lack natural morals and emotions, and i guess that you could call these people 'Wild'.

Then you have Bladerunner. This place lacks anything 'natural', it is devoid of anything 'wild', if you are thinking about 'wild' as something untamed and natural. But then you could say that this city is completely wild in the same sense as BNW - it lacks natural rhythms.

"or will they be living 'in the wild' - unable to express any of the qualities that makes humans recognisable? "

What makes humans human? Think about it. How do u define what it is to be human. If something walks and talks like a human, are they human? That's the question you are asked in both texts. In BNW, the 'humans' look like humans on the outside, but inwardly they lack emotions, experience and empathy. Are they human? Or has humanity been hypnotised out of them along with individuality, and social freedom. In Bladerunner, you have replicants who resemble humans in every way, except they arent meant to feel emotions. Then you have humans whose humanity seems to have been destroyed along with nature. The irony is that the replicants do feel empathy for each other - Roy batty howls when he discovers that his fellow 'replicant' has died. Is that not wild? Is the fact that he feel and empathises human? Who is more human - the humans or the scientifically generated replicants. Are they a replication of the humans of the past? 'Nexus' means Link - nexus 6 could perhaps mean link to the humanity of the past (i just thought of that then and i wish i had have used that in the HSC!)

I hope that helps. I am trying not to go to deep into it. If you need anymore help, PM and i will try to type something up for you.

I just pasted that from a previous reply.... U should check other posts before asking the same question!

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
the wild is the BNW society....i know it is too late, erdem, but if u see me at school i have wicked notes on this question....a whole page that ms elliot made us write (this is robbie btw)

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
demosthenes said:
the wild is the BNW society....i know it is too late, erdem, but if u see me at school i have wicked notes on this question....a whole page that ms elliot made us write (this is robbie btw)
i was gunna say robbie, bit late mate, anyway, i call ur 'kick arse notes'

and also, this wouldnt hav helped, as question was completeley contect :S

smiley100

HSC
in the wild

okay...i though in the wild is nature itself...and man is absent to it in both textx basically..not in the wild being the urbanisation in both texts. someone help! btw my public profile graduation thing won't let me say 2005...how do i get it to 2005?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)