What is the most godawfully bad book you have ever read? (1 Viewer)

CHRISSY89

HSC
DAVID MALOUF - THE GREAT WORLD
The most boring thing I have ever attempted to read in my life.

*Lozzie*

HSC
the curious incident of the dog in the night time

i got it for a christmas present and only finished reading it cos i felt i should but it was wacked out and really a bad book

daledugahole

HSC
Trying to read Great Expectations by Charles Dickens was like banging my head against a brick wall. I only ever made it half way through before giving up totally. LOL even my teacher admited to having never read it when we were forced to study it in extension in year 11.

*Minka*

HSC
I had to read My Brilliant Career in grade 9 and HATED it. Also second nominations for Jane Austen - I tried to like her books knowing they are classics, but I am bored to tears by them everytime before I even finish one chapter and English not being my first language makes the style impossible to understand.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
^
Without the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, I don't think I could've understood Jane Austen's"lanaguage"! I tried reading it and I felt like I could understand Shakespeare better!

But after watching the series again and again, you get used to the language and syntax.

As for Shakespeare? I've never understood a word. I rely on the Cambridge version for the little translation on the top left page.

vj88

HSC
the mill on the floss by george eliot
and anything by cornelia funke

once i start a book i'll make myself finish it even if its boring but these books i could not finish .....they were so boring

time-manifold

HSC
Tomorrow when the War Began- John Marsden
Winter- John Marsden
The Professor- Charlotte Bronte

yosemite sam

HSC
Sarah168 said:
i know it's a classic and i don't often bag out a classic but Gulliver's Travels was a horrible read. Booooooring.

I don't think the story itself is particularly boring but the writing made me so sleepy.
I agree entirely! we read it for extension english last year and i couldnt read two pages without falling asleep...so i dropped extension :)

And catcher in the rye was incredibly boring...i kept waiting for the plot to start, but it never did. just him wandering round yabbering about shit for the whole goddamn book. so annoying

SituationNoir

HSC
The classics, or atleast some of them are an aqquired taste.

Personally and I know there'll be people who'll think I'm insane etc, but I detest anything Jodi Picoult has written. And yes, I've read them. The tenth circle was...a little better than the others. But yes, I just don't like them. But thats just me.

Also, I like SOME of Anne Rice's novels, but not all. I think the best vampire novelist ever, was Bram Stoker.

I like Pride and Prejudice, but I must agree, Emma is...just horrid. Majority of our class is planning a ceremonial burning of our copies at the end of the HSC. It's flight and...Emma is just..well..she annoys me. Sometimes characters do that and its a good thing, it keeps one interested..but..Emma..she's just a pain in ass.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Yeah, Jodi Picoult gets so tedious since all her stuff sounds the same. "Vanishing Act" was so cliche, it wasn't funny..

Having said that, My Sister's Keeper is one of my absolute fav books and one of the books I re-read the most. I think it's a singular stand out though cos her other books suck (I've read about 4-5 so far).

daledugahole

HSC
I finished reading Jane Eyre a while ago and I really didn't like it. I ended up hating Jane Eyre because she was always trying to be perfect and do the right thing. After she left Thornfield Hall it just drags on and on. I only really liked the novel between her arriving in Thornfield Hall and Mr Rochester falling in love with her. When they're in love it's just a sap-fest.

HSC
A S Byatt -Possesion

Historian interested in dead poet reads said poet's work. Reflects on his boring life. Finds some new information about singularily uninteresting poet, takes random chick with peripheral relevance to visit some descendants of dead poet- who are strange assholes, naturally. Author tries desperately to make connection between dead poet& her long ago mysterious lover- and the historian and his random girlfriend- as well as the title. Byatt is supposed to be talented but her books are 500+ pages of nothing.

Also...Jodi Piccoult's My Sisters Keeper. I liked everything exept the ending. What a cop out. Brings up an ethical dilemma, explores it for many chapters, then kills off the problem. Wow-ee, good writing.

Last edited:

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
'The Devils Wears Prada'

I love the movie, but I hated the books. Not to mention the really really bad mistakes I found. Just really weird lines and things that really didn't make much sense.
I guess I love the movie for all the clothes. Hehehe.

kate_is_me

so hot right now...
HSC
I'm probably alone here since everyone I know who's the read the book has loved it, but The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold just didn't do anything for me. I couldn't get past chapter 7. I thought it was a tedious read.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
You're meant to hate most HSC books :p
My most hated HSC text was The Bone People. oh god was it bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)