What is The Highest WAM you've ever heard? (1 Viewer)

santaslayer

HSC
Coolies :)

Then what if you are in a double degree and you come firast in both degrees?..Do you get two medals? If so, has anyone done that before?

jay2000

Highest Member
HSC
what happens if no one in a course gets a WAM over 90? does that mean no medal to whoever came first????

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
in my eco tutorial the tutor was talking about this crazy guy who got the actuarial medal...

he got a wam of 97 (if i remembered correctly)

he was saying how every company was literally chucking money at him, bidding for him to work in their company

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Thats crazy, I guess the hard work paid off though.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by redslert
in my eco tutorial the tutor was talking about this crazy guy who got the actuarial medal...

he got a wam of 97 (if i remembered correctly)

he was saying how every company was literally chucking money at him, bidding for him to work in their company
WAM of 97 in actuarial of all things!

also, if you do your Honours year, and your thesis scores 90 or over, you get the University Medal as well as First Class Honours
but dont quote me there, I'm not sure if your total WAM has to be 90+ as well

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by anti

To get the University Medal you need to come FIRST in your year AND have a WAM of over 90. Only one person per course per year can win the University Medal. I found this out the other day. :)
hmmm, wouldn't there be A LOT of medal being given out every year since there are hundreds of courses in UNSW?? And there must be person coming first, and very likely they are going to have a WAM of 90 anyway....
Or do you mean first in Year 1 courses, so there is only ONE medal being given out to ONE first year person, and one to second year person...etc.

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by Survivor39
hmmm, wouldn't there be A LOT of medal being given out every year since there are hundreds of courses in UNSW?? And there must be person coming first, and very likely they are going to have a WAM of 90 anyway....
The award of the University Medal only applies to Honours students - who received 90+ for their thesis. As Minai said. And only if they're outstanding in some way.

There have been some years where medals simply haven't been awarded. I'm sure the UNSW website would have more accurate information, if you're really interested (though I think your pondering is somewhat premature :)).

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
The award of the University Medal only applies to Honours students - who received 90+ for their thesis. As Minai said. And only if they're outstanding in some way.
oh...I thought anti was talking about people getting medals for coming first in a subject.....

ernoop

HSC
N/A
My first year WAM was 93. I'm in third year Sci/Eng at UNSW and my overall WAM is 91. I've scored all HD's plus one D with two 100's. I have heard of an Asian student in the USA with a GPA of 9.9, which is equivalent to a UNSW WAM of 100(I've checked out the course and done the calculations).

There was a guy in 1953 who graduated from Harvard at 16 with an average mark of A- who reputedly had an IQ of 230. His name was Sidis and he died destitute, friendless and penniless. The person with the highest IQ today is Marilyn Vos Savant with a possible 220 and she lives in New York. She doesn't talk to anyone who asks about her intelligence and has promised never to take another IQ test. It seems the world has a history of treating the highest IQ's very badly. Don't be so keen to race to the top - it's not how big your marks are, it's what you do with them that counts. Remember, Bill Gates was an undergrad dropout.

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
way to revive a 3 year old topic :rofl: well done on your wam though!

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
i think its safe to say that commerce has the highest wam over the duration of the course.
getting 90+ in a subject requires hard work but not impossible, but getting a WAM of 90+ throughout your course is just insane.
id be content if i get just one subject over 90.

lala2

Banned
HSC
^^lol, yeah. that's just insane! wow! And ernoop, well done on such a fantastic WAM. I can see you getting the uni medal (if at UNSW they allocate medals to each degree)

elfm

HSC
there's probably at least 5 people in each year in each course (probably a lot more for the higher uai subjects like comm) that have a wam of over 90... highest wam i've heard of is like 98... someone doing engineering

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
faaaarrrrk 98 in engineering?
*speechless*

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
jemsta said:
i think its safe to say that commerce has the highest wam over the duration of the course.
getting 90+ in a subject requires hard work but not impossible, but getting a WAM of 90+ throughout your course is just insane.
id be content if i get just one subject over 90.
I was content with getting DN's personally...I only ever got one subject 90+ and that was in my final semester.

P's get degrees!

ks21

HSC
Just wondering what WAM would be considered as the average? What WAM puts you in top 5% of your class?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)