What is the hardest - easiest engineering course , (petroleum- - civil ?) (1 Viewer)

munitz

HSC
haha you're dreaming. Once chinas demand runs, car fuel sources are replaced and coal fire plants die, petrol is finished. i wouldnt say 80-100 yrs, more like 20 to 30 max

Last edited:

traiwit

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey one more question ! will the environmental engineering have a highly demand in the future ?

Last edited:

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
Petroleum engineers work in oil and gas extraction.
ITT: Kients ain't got no idea what they're talking about when they say petrol is going to run out and there won't be jobs for petroleum engineers.
Have a quick look at the stats, and you'll see that supply and demand for oil and gas aren't going to run out anytime soon.

Last edited:

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
i agree that supply will not run out. What im saying is that by the time he has finished his degree (with the way society is heading) there will no longer be any demand for petroleum as renewable energy sources are almost guaranteed to outstrip the petroleum sector within the next 10 to 15 years. Hence no more petroleum engineers
Do you have any idea what you're on about...?

Source: http://www.eia.gov/forecasts/ieo/more_highlights.cfm#world

Last edited:

nazfiz

HSC
To OP: You'd have to work overseas if you do petroleum engineering, as Australia has limited petroleum resources as far as I know. So that should be a factor you should keep in mind.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I disagree with a lot of what is being said in this thread.

As it stands, Australia is going to be one of the largest exporters of gas in the world, and a degree in petroleum engineering covers that realm. People need to remember that petroleum engineering is not just oil extraction, but also the extraction of other resources which work under similar means.

KidDang

HSC
Uni Grad
If you truly like applying physics/chemistry more than the other elements of engineering I recommend a bachelor of forensic science in applied chemistry or just a straight medical science/chemistry degree. Your future maybe in engineering and I'm not forcing you to not do it,

However if this is more of a I think engineering is my course or everyone expects me to do this thing perhaps its time you follow your heart.

traiwit

HSC
Uni Grad
thank everyone , anyway i will make petroleum be my first aim and environmental be second aim. and let discuss about damand of job or amount of petrol in the future later then : )

I'm also reckon about traditional type of engineering (civil, chem, etc) coz i think i will be easier to get a job, i don't really care about high salary.
and i may just feel bad about material stuff from HSC engineering study, in uni it maybe better,, anyway thank you everyone :)

TutorIndia

HSC
If you are not so good in mathematics then you should do petroleum engineering as it is more concern with chemistry and physics. Environmental engineering is also a good option for you.

traiwit

HSC
Uni Grad
yeah it's pretty interesting, start with PTRL1010 i've been in lecture like 3 times so far (once a week)
It gives me a pretty clear image of the petroleum industry, where does the oil&gas come from, cool stuff like 'carbon capture&storage project' (ENGG1000) and etc.
(But if you are math&science person you will find this pretty boring, it's like econ+geology somehow for me)

i will tell u guys more later on then ;)

Capt Rifle

HSC
Well relating to the topic, apparently electrical and chemical are one of the hardest. What I heard from some of my uni mates.

knxd

HSC
how is the workload and how much time do you spend at uni?

HSC
Uni Grad
Speaking of which, for those who took PTRL1010, what would you rate the course? And is there a lot of physics/chemistry in the course? coz i havent done PHYS or chem in high school before

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)