What is the better degree to go alongside commerce (BSCI vs BIS) (1 Viewer)

meatbunz

HSC
To be clear I have already read many of the Information Systems vs Computer Science threads out there, but none have really talked about it in terms of a double degree with commerce
I am definitely picking up commerce, and am aiming for a job in one of the big 4 banks or any other major companies as a finance officer or data analyst etc. (flexible)
So I was just wondering would I be better off doing Bachelor of Commerce/Information Systems or Bachelor of Commerce/Computer Science
(In terms of background knowledge, I have very little programming skills but at the same time I am very good and at maths nd physics so the I can manage a computer science degree just fine.)
Just wondering which of the two degrees will be more desirable combo with commerce.

meatbunz

HSC
but you learn some programming in Info Systems too don't you? It's less but how much is really necessary in the business field?

turntaker

HSC
but you learn some programming in Info Systems too don't you? It's less but how much is really necessary in the business field?
If you are more business oriented I'd recommend combining with Info Sys.
I think it compliments commerce better just comp sci.:)

meatbunz

HSC
Hmm that's what I've been leaning towards
But the whole point of info systems is implementing IT with business
But as im doing a commerce degree I would already have business knowledge from that
So would Comp Sci be more beneficial as it delves more into the technical side?
Or will I be missing out on crucial business implementation techniques which only come from information systems?

meatbunz

HSC
oh and if I wanted say a management position in commonwealth or financial institute (or rather any IT department) would an information systems be better? You would have more management skills but you will know less about technology than everyone around you?

turntaker

HSC
Comp sci doesn't involve any business implementations. You will just be taught about solving algorithms and software engineering practices. Nothing to do with commerce tbh.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
if ur in a hard coding job, ur commerce degree will practically be useless

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
also you can't automatically assume that doing a commerce degree will give u a business skill set. everything more so concerns the commerce major you choose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)