what is the best public school out there? (1 Viewer)

best public school...?

• James Ruse Agricultural High School

Votes: 32 25.4%
  • North Sydney Boys/Girls High School

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • Baulkham Hills High School

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • Killara High School

• Cheltenham Girls High School

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • Sydney Boys/Girls High School

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • Hurlstone Agricultural High School

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Northern Beaches Secondary College (any campus)

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • Fort Street High School

• Caringbah High School

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by MinAi

I have many yr10 and yr11 (well, yr11 and yr12 now) friends there, known as the asians that do "chatswood" for sport
:confused:
oh ... pc at chatswood ... isnt that the new-age sport of hand and/or finger movements ...

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
Since my school is a senior school ie. Yr11 and 12 only, we don't get time to hate/like the bottom/top grade beacuse we focus on the HSC and all an also beacuse there are like 450+ in each year!!!

alys

Originally posted by zannaz
Since my school is a senior school ie. Yr11 and 12 only, we don't get time to hate/like the bottom/top grade beacuse we focus on the HSC and all an also beacuse there are like 450+ in each year!!!
i went to a senior school too, but the year 12s every year always hatee the year 11s.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by zannaz
450+ in each year ... that has surely got to be one of the largest (if not the largest) school in the state ...

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
incomplete poll... duly noted coz u missed out Blacktown Girls HS, we aint the best, we aint the rest... but apparently we offer value for money...

so sez our skool... we are a value adding school... now beat that :D

sif it isnt bad enuff we are a wesite public school.. ppl seem to forget that there are other schools out there that do perform well but dont get a mention... mitchell, evans, wyndam, doonside...

dont judge a school by the marks it gets, judge it by its teachers and how it can benefit u... tis worthless to say so and so high school is the best public school out there when that may not be the best public school for u.. or for many others..

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
Originally posted by eviltama
incomplete poll... duly noted coz u missed out Blacktown Girls HS, we aint the best, we aint the rest... but apparently we offer value for money...

so sez our skool... we are a value adding school... now beat that :D

sif it isnt bad enuff we are a wesite public school.. ppl seem to forget that there are other schools out there that do perform well but dont get a mention... mitchell, evans, wyndam, doonside...

dont judge a school by the marks it gets, judge it by its teachers and how it can benefit u... tis worthless to say so and so high school is the best public school out there when that may not be the best public school for u.. or for many others..
Your're spot on.
I went to a westie school (St Mary's Senior High School), which performs REALLY well....

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Personally I believe the best public school out there is...

Sydney Boys/Girls High Schools.

Both schools have about 1000 people, so the combined forces should outnumber (or outbrain?) other schools.

Furthermore, the Sydney High Schools began in 1883, making it THE oldest public high school in Australia (hmph! beat that!).

Sydney Boys' High School is the only PUBLIC member of the AAGPS (the Athletic Association of Greater Public Schools), the prestigious association of the elite boys public schools.

The ethos of the school strives for all-rounding excellence, whether it be the HSC, playing rugby against the other private school-boys or standing up for themselves in forums. Not only is it a selective school, it provides the opportunities of a private school at a fraction of the cost.

Dare I say more?

bex

HSC
The ethos of the school strives for all-rounding excellence, whether it be the HSC, playing rugby against the other private school-boys
High hasnt won the Rugby for years.. they struggle to put teams together.. I feel sorry for them that they had to pull out from playing Kings because they were intimidated by Kings' bought players...

bobo123

HSC
Not only do they fail to field teams for rugby, just last week, their rugby coaches gave consent for older boys to play down 1 year just to even up the scorelines a bit. Disgraceful.

Not only will they lose now, they will lose as cheaters.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
To reply to High's critics, bex and bobo123...

bex: I noticed you say "...Kings' bought players...", which implies Kings' is nothing but a school with lots of cash and cannot really played rugby if they chose players who entered a school (such as High) based on academic merit. Secondly, we were under professional advice to pull out, considering that half our team were injured. The boys still wanted to play, but the order from our principal was to pull out. We fear Kings' not.

bobo123: Well, if the private schools did not hand out sporting scholarships to grab the biggest guys, then maybe the High boys, who were selected purely on academic merit, might stand a chance age for age. Anyway, it might be cheating to play down a grade, but is it not even more to buy your team?

If you look at High's results across the board (ie. sporting, academic and extra-curricular), I doubt you can find a better boys' high school with a school fee of less than one thousand dollars per annum.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Originally posted by Frigid

bex: I noticed you say "...Kings' bought players...", which implies Kings' is nothing but a school with lots of cash and cannot really played rugby if they chose players who entered a school (such as High) based on academic merit. Secondly, we were under professional advice to pull out, considering that half our team were injured. The boys still wanted to play, but the order from our principal was to pull out. We fear Kings' not.

bobo123: Well, if the private schools did not hand out sporting scholarships to grab the biggest guys, then maybe the High boys, who were selected purely on academic merit, might stand a chance age for age. Anyway, it might be cheating to play down a grade, but is it not even more to buy your team?

If you look at High's results across the board (ie. sporting, academic and extra-curricular), I doubt you can find a better boys' high school with a school fee of less than one thousand dollars per annum.
right.. u go fight for that skool

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
*matter-o'-factly*
why t-i-m-m-y, I WILL!

One should have pride in his/her school, and I am proud of mine. You, or bex, or bobo123 for that matter, go to High. I'm not advertising for my school (it can get enrolments without stooping to publicity), but these are my feelings, and ought to be told.

Sure, Jay-Arians may rule the HSC, but I still believe High is the best.

t-i-m-m-y, where's your school pride?

bobo123

HSC

Your statement ignores the fact that Kings is not a academically selective public school. As well as that, the official version of events was that High was able to field a team that week, under strength maybe, but your principal pulled out due to fear of another triple digit scoreline following the previous game against Joeys.

Your statement on the selection of High students based purely on academic merit is also incorrect. Each year, part of your school's intake involves a portion of those with lower selective exam scores but some sports reference. Therefore you have no right to criticize Kings scholarship programs. Another point i like to make is High's regular recruitment of students that excel themselves in a particular academic field but at the same time not able to speak english. I really cannot understand how you can consider importing students with a particular strength cheating when High does the same. Practice what you preach.

The diversity of High's activities leaves them in the middle of nowhere. Bottom of the GPS and bottom of the top 10 in HSC. High should be a school geared for academic success only, since afterall that is the main drawing card for prospective students. The false pride High that has when it boasts its academic/sporting/extracurricular achievements is an insult to the top 50 or so students whe save their school each year from falling completely off the HSC rankings.

other than that...yeah its a good school :)

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
bobo123:

From what you say "the official version of events", do you mean the journalistic frontpage bullsh!t of Sydney Morning Herald or the official statement from our school?

Should go to our school one day, and look inside the folder of congratulatory correspondence outside the principal's office, and find there a letter from the principal of Joeys. In it you'll find that he (the principal of Joeys) congratulating our boys who were injured (in that Joeys game) but chose to play on, even though they were getting thrashed. Does this determination not evoke any sense of admiration from you?

Our school has accepted a portion with lower selective scores, but I believe such a scheme only started this year (ie. year 7 2003). Other than that, I believe High accepts based on academic results and boys with brothers in the school.

Still, our pride is drilled into us and, I believe, necessary. We do not want to be thought of as and ARE not only a "HSC-factory". The presence of our school pride is better than its absence.

Finally, as you said, "...yeah its a good school".
I'd like to extend your sweet compliment... its an excellent public school!

I rest my case, veritate et virtute .

Long live High!

Last edited:

kaboomable

*this is purely objective*

i notice some members of the private school community are rather pessimistic.. or maybe sadistic.

yes they do tell the truth ..
nothing but the truth? not likely
the whole truth? as if

they choose to comment on other people's failures, without realising their own.
i notice certain individuals say school is not all about academic work, but their arguments are based entirely upon sporting achievements, does that mean school is merely sport?

furthermore, i notice another individual from KINGs commenting on the fact that SBHS is: "Bottom of the GPS and bottom of the top 10 in HSC"

so is 'bottom of the TOP 10 really a disgrace'? what's Kings then..bottom of the TOp 50? .. does that make it better?

my friends, from a truly objective point of view, Kings may be better in rugby.. which is only one sport, but SBHS is better , academically, in much more than one subject than Kings.

i rest my case

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
kaboomable, nice kickass points there bro! ;)

btw, did anyone notice the heading of this thread is "What is the best PUBLIC school out there?"

This automatically negates private schools such as Kings (or Joeys, for that matter).

phenol

Argonaute
HSC
Your statement ignores the fact that Kings is not a academically selective public school. As well as that, the official version of events was that High was able to field a team that week, under strength maybe, but your principal pulled out due to fear of another triple digit scoreline following the previous game against Joeys.
Bobo, have you ever tried playing CS? What fun is it playing with someone who OGCs or cheats. Sure they get a lotta kills, a lotta points, a lotta pride, sure we are not the best school at rugby - what does that show? You think High hates losing? Of course we do! But we are both good losers and good winners, we can lose to a quality team but we hate cheaters. Also from the tone of your response, it seems that you are both afraid of losing AND a bad loser (so what if we lose by triple digits? When High falls, we stand right up again)...
respect the High spirit and learn my young one.

Your statement on the selection of High students based purely on academic merit is also incorrect. Each year, part of your school's intake involves a portion of those with lower selective exam scores but some sports reference. Therefore you have no right to criticize Kings scholarship programs. Another point i like to make is High's regular recruitment of students that excel themselves in a particular academic field but at the same time not able to speak english. I really cannot understand how you can consider importing students with a particular strength cheating when High does the same. Practice what you preach.
Bobo, in life there are two paths - the lawful path (playing on the edge of the law) or the moral path (playing by what you think is right). Not trying to be sanctimonious but High follows both paths. The yr 7 boys at High are complete nerds yet the teachers at High changes this by the end of yr 12 - they become ALL rounders. Surely Kings beats us in rugby and Ruse beats us in academics - so what? - our 180 high boys, 180 all rounders, 180 people who love their school are taking on the best in every field. No other selective school has yet to match that. So before you talk rubbish, come to High and see for yourself... your ignorance will turn into respect. And also, i do not want to discuss your statement about "not able to speak english" - you dont live long in this world by discriminating against others. reflect upon your attitude and repent.

The diversity of High's activities leaves them in the middle of nowhere. Bottom of the GPS and bottom of the top 10 in HSC. High should be a school geared for academic success only, since afterall that is the main drawing card for prospective students. The false pride High that has when it boasts its academic/sporting/extracurricular achievements is an insult to the top 50 or so students whe save their school each year from falling completely off the HSC rankings.
False pride? Please base this claim with evidence. We take pride in our scholars and our sportsman just as any other school take pride in their top students. Why is it false pride for High and "pride" for other schools?
I mean i can understand your jealousy as High run on an absolutely minimum amount of capital and yet so efficient but please, when you point the gun, give a reason before you shoot or else just shut your trap.

For everyone out there who isn't biased, High is a great school. It is a school which produces quality all rounders and not just nerds or top class sportsmen. If you disagree, please contact our principal Dr K Jaggar and organise a visit - we accept everyone out there with open arms.
www.sbhs.nsw.edu.au

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
if u hadnt noticed... the topic is best PUBLIC school... which eliminates private and selective schools from nomination... and since when has footy been given status as to how good a school is? no one cares abt ur footy or ur school's position in the paper... its worthless. All it shows us is that u had some smart ppl in '02... nothing more...

wake up and smell the coffee, judge the schools on their merits not urs!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)