• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What is the best place in NSW to do nursing? (1 Viewer)

Alex499

HSC
I'm particularly interested in UTS Kuring-gai in comparison to UOW and UWS

Che08

HSC
I guess it depends on a lot of factors.. im at UWS, and while UWS has the largest intake of nursing students every year, i have found the limited placement time in first year (just 2 weeks) dissapointing. The teaching staff and facilities are excellent (with the odd exception in teaching but what can you do.) Having finished the first year i will say its not easy (a lot of HSC leavers tend to do it for the low UAI) and you really do need to do your work.

I think i read earlier this year that UTS students get more placement time, but there are soo many UTS Nursing Students on here that im sure they will fill you in. As for UOW, well i havnt seen many UOW nursing students on here, but they were in the news this year for students having to do placements during holidays, and generally being stuffed around..
But im sure as UOW is a very well regarded university their program is top notch too.

HSC
Wow u guys only do 2 weeks in first yr at UWS :O

Yea at UTS in first yr we did 4 weeks of placement and in 2nd yr it was 5 weeks, all during the semester so it allows you to combine your theory with practical skills and doesnt eat up your holiday time such as other uni placements.

Ummm i think theres another post in this section of the board in which ive posted like an essay about nursing at UTS and the benefits etc so you might want to read that to save me from re-writing it all :p

Basically im going into my 3rd yr of nursing at UTS and have loved it Yes there is def alot of tough times like with everything esp with lots of assessments etc Like Che08 said you def have to work hard. Thats one of the BIGGEST misconceptions about nursing that having a low UAI (however UTS has one of the highest for nursing with the city intake students) means itll be a breeze. Dont be mistaken! Its def gruelling at times with numerous research essays, case studies, practical exams and clinical placements having to be done. You also have to learn about drugs, interactions and disease processes, which i think UTS does very well through the subject "fundamentals of pathophysiology".

As im at the city campus i cant provide you with a great amount of info about the KG campus but both learn the same content etc Ive been to the KG campus before and have to go there for 3rd yr and personally i dont like it very much its quite secluded unlike the city campus where in between classes you have the option of a variety of places to spend your time. However thats just my opinion lol

Goodluck choosing!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)