What is so special about James Ruse or any other selective? (1 Viewer)

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Which school topped the state before ruse?
North Sydney Boys... North Sydney Girls... Hornsby Girls... James Ruse... Long ago, the four schools studied together in harmony. Then everything changed when James Ruse topped Extension Maths 2. Only the Avatar, master of all four faculties, could stop them. But when the world needed him the most, he went to schoolies. A hundred years passed and my brother and I discovered the new Avatar, a 3 Unit Maths student named Aang. And although his calculations skills are great, he still has a lot to learn before he's ready to calculate complex numbers. But I believe, Aang can state rank.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
North Sydney Boys... North Sydney Girls... Hornsby Girls... James Ruse... Long ago, the four schools studied together in harmony. Then everything changed when James Ruse topped Extension Maths 2. Only the Avatar, master of all four faculties, could stop them. But when the world needed him the most, he went to schoolies. A hundred years passed and my brother and I discovered the new Avatar, a 3 Unit Maths student named Aang. And although his calculations skills are great, he still has a lot to learn before he's ready to calculate complex numbers. But I believe, Aang can state rank.
You forgot St george girls, Sydney Tech, Fort street, Sydney Boys and Sydney girls. Which school is "Aang" from?

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
You forgot St george girls, Sydney Tech, Fort street, Sydney Boys and Sydney girls. Which school is "Aang" from?
But I can't add more than 4 schools - and Aang is asian so he fits into any of the top 10 schools

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
It should be baulkam hills not Hornsby girls

etxpy

HSC
N/A
James Ruse has literally nothing on The Highschool Affiliated to Renmin University of China (RDFZ). Nothing.

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
James Ruse has literally nothing on The Highschool Affiliated to Renmin University of China (RDFZ). Nothing.
Maybe if we violated our human right commitments we could.

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
How does this relate to human rights?
Anyone subjected to harsh regimes and commitments would of course excel - however that comes at a cost. There has been plenty of criticism with global academic performance and more than most of the time this links with suicide. China, Korea and Japan have one of the highest adolescent suicide rates in the world - most arising due to continuous pressure on academic performance.

What I'm trying to say is that if we adopted that culture in Australian schools the community would appeal against its breach of our liberty and rights. We do not share the same value and ethics as these countries - I'm not saying its either is good or bad, just staying that our emphasis is different, although not inherently impossible if we gear our system to reflect theirs.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Anyone subjected to harsh regimes and commitments would of course excel - however that comes at a cost. There has been plenty of criticism with global academic performance and more than most of the time this links with suicide. China, Korea and Japan have one of the highest adolescent suicide rates in the world - most arising due to continuous pressure on academic performance.

What I'm trying to say is that if we adopted that culture in Australian schools the community would appeal against its breach of our liberty and rights. We do not share the same value and ethics as these countries - I'm not saying its either is good or bad, just staying that our emphasis is different, although not inherently impossible if we gear our system to reflect theirs.
We kind of are. People are pressured into doing well in the HSC

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Instead of the 4 schools being north sydney boys/girls, hornsby girls and James Ruse, shouldn't it be Sydney Grammar instead of James Ruse because Sydney Grammar's got the Cambridge author as a maths teacher there and Grammar writes harder maths exams than ruse (apparently)

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
We kind of are. People are pressured into doing well in the HSC
The 'well' is very superficial. We're moulded to believe in an 'be all end all' system that forces us to commit our minds, body and soul into one year. This 'mould' makes us unable to view the other opportunities that are given to us. It's kind of like XFactor - you always hear about the person who came 2nd or even 3rd, but never about the person who came first - they just dissapeared. It's the same with the HSC, although getting a good ATAR is always nice, its about what you make of your life that makes it ever nicer.

Sure we are pressued in a way, but the actual examination is not as rigorous and stressful as what those countries aforementioned experience. I think there's a fine line between being guided and being pressured. But it's all up to perspective and opinion I guess :)

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Instead of the 4 schools being north sydney boys/girls, hornsby girls and James Ruse, shouldn't it be Sydney Grammar instead of James Ruse because Sydney Grammar's got the Cambridge author as a maths teacher there and Grammar writes harder maths exams than ruse (apparently)
But James Ruse has to be in the 4 factions because the school was the antagonist in the story, I can't just replace it :p Does Grammar have a higher scoring percentage in math albeit Ruse being ranked higher in HSC examination? (Actually genuine question).

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
But James Ruse has to be in the 4 factions because the school was the antagonist in the story, I can't just replace it :p Does Grammar have a higher scoring percentage in math albeit Ruse being ranked higher in HSC examination? (Actually genuine question).
I am quite sure Grammar's maths faculty is stronger than ruse's however, ruse usually outdoes Grammar though in mathematics but grammar outdoes ruse in languages. I heard that Latin was the highest scaling subject (higher than maths extension 2). Most likely bullshit though

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
I am quite sure Grammar's maths faculty is stronger than ruse's however, ruse usually outdoes Grammar though in mathematics but grammar outdoes ruse in languages. I heard that Latin was the highest scaling subject (higher than maths extension 2). Most likely bullshit though
I've heard the same thing - and I'm pretty sure Latin does scale higher than 4u maths :)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Ruse has over 90% of their cohort get band 6 in all levels of Maths they offer (ie 2U, Ext1 and Ext2). Much beast.

Also, pretty sure Ruse doesn't really offer much in the way of languages.

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Thanks for clarifying, then. I certainly do agree with much of what you have to say.

I do, however think it must be noted that the Gaokao in China (and I would imagine the respective systems in Korea and Japan, although I may very well be wrong) is a far, far more important exam that the HSC is in NSW with regards to the student's future, so the result is not "simply a number", as many some people refer to ATARs. People can perform very poorly in the HSC, yet still end up taking a good course at an excellent university eventually, through a variety of different pathways, and subsequently live out a very respectable life. This is not the case with the Gaokao in China, where your result will determine the tier and prestige of the University you go to, and thus essentially determine the type of job, and the type of life you will live out. For many people, especially rural and lower-class people, performing well in the Gaokao is considered some kind of "salvation" to a better life, not just for yourself, but your entire lineage. So there certainly is a kind of rationale in subjecting students to "harsh regimes and commitments" that wouldn't apply in the case of Australia.
And that's where you contest the validity of such a system. The conditions of the students are a substantial reflection of they are required to do. And in this case, it's to score well in the Gaokao. And even more so, it allows the opportunity for less privileged children to have a chance at competing with more fortunate people in the hopes of receiving the same prospects.

However, upon reading what you have said I have to ultimately condemn the examination process of the "Gaokao" and say this is the reason why we cannot compare our schools with theirs. I did a bit of research and was pleased to find out that there would be some sort of inquest into the restructuring of this system to avoid all weight falling on this one exam. However in the end, education is based on the desires of ones country and the values and ethics attributed to their people. If we introduced that system into the Australian education process we would in time slowly adapt to those ways and it would, as the HSC is, be an accepted norm. However, I'd like to see this system get restructured or even dropped and see how the quality of life of adolescent students improve and hopefully see the statistics on mental health related issues and suicide decrease. I agree with you, its due to the rationale established the China's education committee that subjects these kids to "harsh regimes and commitments", and that is exactly what I condemn - the forceful destruction of a child's psyche.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
This is why you always see news of Chinese high school students cheating (i.e either someone sitting for you, bribing or getting answers beforehand , or hacking to change the marks), the other reality is a lot of these Chinese Students try to apply for USA university and they even try to cheat on THOSE applications and it's been found out last year in addition to Chinese international students decreasing in performance at American universities each year to the difference of style of teaching that they cannot comprehend or learn in time as supposedly their HSC is craaammmm and memorise every subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)