What is Marketing about and what does it involve? (1 Viewer)

Cellie

HSC
Hello.

Well, when i went to the open day of the coffs harbour southern cross uni with my school, i went to one of the talks they had for business studies. the thing that most appealed to me was the Marketing Degree because the guy mentioned about visual art elements involved with it and plus its a businees thing...so that was kinda of a bonus.

i dont know much about marketing though, like the kinda of things it involves on what you have to do and things like that. do you need a high uai for it?

right now, i want to have a direction to what kind of thing i want to study in uni...

Thnkz

sarevok

HSC
Marketing is basically about forming a link between the product and the consumer and enticing the most amount of consumers to buy the product you're selling.
The term you'll hear a lot of in marketing is the '4 P's' - product (designing your product so your 'target market' will want to buy it), price (pricing your product so target market will want to buy it), promotion (advertising and such) and place (deciding in which stores to sell your product).

If you want to do visual arts in marketing you might be designing logos, or perhaps working on designing television advertisements, which sound like cool jobs.

If you want to do a marketing degree, you can either do a straight course in marketing, or you can do a Bachelor of Commerce and major in marketing. For a B Commerce (what I would recommed because you have another major apart from marketing which makes you more employable), UNSW and USYD have cut-offs in the mid 90's, MAQ and UTS in the high 80's/low 90's and UWS in the 80's. If you want to do just a marketing degree, the MAQ cut-off this year was 89.10, whilst the UWS cut-off was somewhere in the 70's. I'm not aware of any other Uni's that offer a straight marketing degree.

Cellie

HSC
Yeah, I've been researchin about the concept of Marketing - it sounds hard yet not - its scarying me a lil. As you guys have all said about the 4 P's and other elements, we did parts of it yr 11 and yeah it was allright. Doing advertisement sounds fun as you have mentioned :D

I've been looking through my UAC 2005 Guide book and so far its - B Commerce, B Business, B Management - these are courses which involves Marketing that i have found offered at the university of newcastle, i havent searched throught the other uni's yet.
I have to talk to my year advisor and see if she can give me some information - i have spoken to her before but i wasnt too sure whether i wanted more visual art or business. also my business studies teacher and our next topic is Marketing :)

Well, i was thinking today that if i dont end up doing marketing or i dont make there, i might go in the direction of doing real estate - and again, i know little of the profession itself.

Tahnks again for all your help and feel free to add more :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)