What is Law? (1 Viewer)

rafall

HSC
N/A
Hello,

So I am a year 12 student, and I am thinking to do Law in Macquarie uni, but i dont know much about it. I am not doing any law subjects, mostly science and maths.

I like law, not because of money, i always love the justice topics, debate and solving problems. I heard and read many depressing topics about law is so hard that the one can't do it and many people drop it. But can a law student tell me how it is? I am ready to study each day by day, just like how i am doing now in year 12.

For example, how many pages reading per day? (is it real that you must read by day up to 40-5- pages?

If the person study each day is it hard to pass the exam?

What do you like about law?

What you dont like about law?

Please help me, even if you are not a law student.

And lastly, is it real that if you do law in Macquarie you cant find a good job?

Thank you :)

Last edited:

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
Possession is nine tenths of the law... The rest of it is just filler...

ps: it's spelt Macquarie... I won't dissect the rest...

How many pages of reading? Too many, you would have to learn to pick out the relevant things and work off them, which isn't hard... You will never finish all your readings... (Readings normally lead you to more readings :lol:)
Is it easy to pass if you constructively (work smart, not hard) study everyday? It's a walk down the to the park...
What do you like about law: Nothing...
What don't you like about law: Everything...

Last edited:

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
I think its something you need to try yourself before you develop an opinion of studying law at an Australian university.

I initially got into law purely because it is the traditional and most common path towards Banking/Consulting grad programs (i.e. I wasn't going to practice law - had my mind set on it). As a third year student, I can definitely say my views have changed and I have genuinely enjoyed the subject matter. I can also confirm that there are way, way too much 'prescribed/required' readings. It's up to you to be smart enough (you'll get it through experience) of judging what is relevant and what isn't relevant. I know some of my seniors who usually read half the cases, used summary books and used other books that focused on principles rather than cases (hornbooks) and received very high marks while those who meticulously read each case like a 'perfect' law student often fell way short. It's a long and challenging learning curve, but its something you have to stick it out with and usually turns out fine in the end (that's the fun part!).

Regarding what you read in the news. Ignore them. Way too many negatives published online and on forums. You'll see people saying how law degrees are completely useless now. They aren't if you take your degree seriously. There are plenty of jobs and clerkships out there, you just have to be good enough to get it.

Law at Macquarie: Of course you can get jobs! Not just any, you can get absolutely top tier jobs (Firms like Freehills etc). There are no restrictions. But of course, going to Macquarie, you will have to be exceptional within your cohort (i.e. score near top of class) to land those roles compared to people from usyd/unsw.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)