What is B Science like? Should I do B Science? (1 Viewer)

kayven

HSC
Hi guys,

I really love maths and actually, the only reason why I am considering on choosing B Science is so that I can major in Mathematics. Is this a good idea? What alternatives would you recommend?

In first year Science, I hear that you do a bit of everything like chemistry and other sciences. Does that involve a lot of essay writing and reporting like writing up experiments and all that? After first year does everyone go off and do their majors for the rest of their course?

Also, I really want to do B Advanced Mathematics at Sydney University, but currently the ATAR is like 98. If I do B Science, when will I be able to transfer? Would i further need requirements to get into it?

Sorry about the flooding questions.
Please answer with as much detail as possible.

Thank you so much!

pokka

d'ohnuts
HSC
hi there:)
Doing B Science and majoring in mathematics is a good idea if you don't think you can reach the ATAR required for B Science (Advanced Mathematics). So basically do the same subjects as the people in B. Science(Advanced Mathematics) if you want to major in mathematics, the only difference is that in B Advanced Mathematics you HAVE to major in mathematics while in B. Science you have the option of majoring in something else. There are plenty of other alternatives/degrees which offer the mathematics major http://sydney.edu.au/courses/progra...cience-Advanced-Mathematics/mathematics-major so pick one which is the most suitable for you.
In first year, you can choose which science subjects you want to do and it all has to add up to 24 credit points (it's basically like number of units in HSC). Just look at the course structure in http://sydney.edu.au/science/fstudent/undergrad/course/bsc.shtml#course_structure The amount of work and what is required depends on the subjects you choose. In subjects containing labwork, it usually involves writing up results and answering questions all in the logbook.
In terms of transferring...not so sure about that.

Last edited:

kayven

HSC
wow thats cool. Thanks for that. I just thought that Advanced Mathematics learn more maths that harder?

After finishing the degree, will it even (Advanced Mathematics) on the certificate?

pokka

d'ohnuts
HSC
In B.Science, you can either choose fundamental or regular or advanced mathematics subjects. So if you want to choose advanced mathematics just like students in B.Science(Advanced Mathematics) then go for it! You're just required to have done 4 U Maths for your HSC. If you plan to stay in B.Science until you finish then "B.Science" is just printed on your certificate. If you did B.Science (Advanced Mathematics) then "B.Science (Advanced Mathematics)" is printed on your certificate. They're basically the same thing, it's just looks different on your certificate so up to you;)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
wow thats cool. Thanks for that. I just thought that Advanced Mathematics learn more maths that harder?

After finishing the degree, will it even (Advanced Mathematics) on the certificate?
Nah, I do the same maths as the advanced maths kids (well, some of them do like crazy people maths, but I'm doing their standard maths) and I'm like maths-retarded.

I think it might say it.
You can just enrol into B Science and then ask to swap after picking your advanced maths units, since it's just a stream of B Science the swap shouldn't be that hard.
The only difference is that BSC(Adv Maths) has a compulsory honours year (I think) and you can't major in something non-maths (I think).

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
In B.Science, you can either choose fundamental or regular or advanced mathematics subjects. So if you want to choose advanced mathematics just like students in B.Science(Advanced Mathematics) then go for it! You're just required to have done 4 U Maths for your HSC. If you plan to stay in B.Science until you finish then "B.Science" is just printed on your certificate. If you did B.Science (Advanced Mathematics) then "B.Science (Advanced Mathematics)" is printed on your certificate. They're basically the same thing, it's just looks different on your certificate so up to you;)
or SSP. :p

Also, to do the advanced mathematics units you don't have to have done 4U. You can do 3U and score a band E4 and have a genuine interest in maths, and they may swap you in if you ask nicely. :p

Last edited:

kayven

HSC
Wow thank you guys so much. Is it also true that at Sydney Uni, you can choose between Applied Maths and Pure Maths? Only at Sydney Uni?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Only at Sydney uni? UNSW has an Adv Maths program too.

Also you'll find Applied and Pure maths are very different, and you have to pick between them.

math man

HSC
N/A
dont forget about stats...but the 3 areas are Pure/Applied/Statistics and in first year there is not much choice, only 5 subjs for usyd for whole first yr, then in 2nd yr onwards you
have a variety of options to pick from for Pure/Applied and only one stat option per sem, 3rd yr has the msot variety.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Hi guys,

I really love maths and actually, the only reason why I am considering on choosing B Science is so that I can major in Mathematics. Is this a good idea? What alternatives would you recommend?

In first year Science, I hear that you do a bit of everything like chemistry and other sciences. Does that involve a lot of essay writing and reporting like writing up experiments and all that? After first year does everyone go off and do their majors for the rest of their course?

Also, I really want to do B Advanced Mathematics at Sydney University, but currently the ATAR is like 98. If I do B Science, when will I be able to transfer? Would i further need requirements to get into it?

Sorry about the flooding questions.
Please answer with as much detail as possible.

Thank you so much!
Glad to see you love Maths! We need more students like yourself. If you enjoy Mathematics, then the Bachelor of Science is perfect for you. You could always do a Mathematics-related course like Finance or Engineering, but you wouldn't get a proper taste of real Mathematics (yes, I did just dis the engineering courses :p)

In First Year, regardless of BSc. (Any major) or BSc. (Advanced Mathematics), you are required to take some Science (Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Psychology, Environmental Sciences etc etc) units, and of course Mathematics, is compulsory. In Second Year, you can choose to take ALL Mathematics subjects if you wish (that's what I did).

Now, your question is regarding the BSc.(Mathematics) versus the BSc.(Advanced Mathematics). Indeed, the ATAR requirement is quite high. If you initially don't get into the Adv. Mathematics stream, you can do the normal BSc and if you show some promise (ie: D average minimum, maybe more), they can transfer you to the Advanced Mathematics stream.

Yep, it will have that on the certificate, provided you have a CREDIT AVERAGE. Otherwise, you just go back down to the normal BSc, even if you initially got the necessary ATAR for the BSc. (Adv. Maths). And the Advanced units go much more in-depth and is more proof-based (so naturally the questions are like that too), whereas the normal stream tends to have more computations and whatnot. Personally, I don't like mindless computations, so the Adv. stream was more suitable for me.

Nah, I do the same maths as the advanced maths kids (well, some of them do like crazy people maths, but I'm doing their standard maths) and I'm like maths-retarded.

I think it might say it.
You can just enrol into B Science and then ask to swap after picking your advanced maths units, since it's just a stream of B Science the swap shouldn't be that hard.
The only difference is that BSC(Adv Maths) has a compulsory honours year (I think) and you can't major in something non-maths (I think).
You can't exactly 'major' in non-maths, but you can essentially have the equivalent of a 'secondary major' or sometimes called a 'minor' in a Non-Maths subject. Otherwise, you could just have a major and a minor, both in Mathematics.

or SSP. :p

Also, you don't have to have done 4U. You can do 3U and score a band E4 and have a genuine interest in maths, and they may swap you in.
Yep, SSP is for especially talented students who have either 95+ in Extension 2 Mathematics, or show serious dedication + extra-curricular activities (ie: Maths Competitions etc). It is very rare to have a person accepted into SSP without having done the highest level of Mathematics available (whether it be IB, or the HSC).

Furthermore, the usual minimum ATAR for SSP is 98.5 or around there. You have to apply with a form, and the SSP coordinator (Daniel Daners) selects the top 20 or so students.

If you get it, take the opportunity. You won't regret it. I took it and it was absolutely fascinating. You can get bonus points for your other Maths subjects by doing it (only 2 or 3 marks at most), but trust me when you're at that level, 2-3 marks means the world of difference.

Wow thank you guys so much. Is it also true that at Sydney Uni, you can choose between Applied Maths and Pure Maths? Only at Sydney Uni?
Every other University offering Mathematics would offer the many branches that come from it, including Statistics, Finance, Applied and Pure Mathematics. Not necessarily just USYD.

And FYI: UNSW has the SSP program too, but I can't comment too much about it, since I go to USYD.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Dunno where you got that from, but honours is OPTIONAL for BSc(Adv Maths). Also, only ONE of your possible two majors must be mathematics in BSc(Adv Maths), the other can be whatever your choose. Whereas for BSc and BSc(Adv), your two majors can be whatever you like - hence it has more freedom of choice than BSc(Adv Maths).

See http://sydney.edu.au/courses/Bachelor-of-Science-Advanced-Mathematics

jet

Banned
HSC
Also you aren't forced to choose between pure and applied until honours if I recall correctly. You can do a mix of pure and applied subjects before then and currently the entry requirements for honours are general in that you don't have to do four applied subjects to do applied honours.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Glad to see you love Maths! We need more students like yourself. If you enjoy Mathematics, then the Bachelor of Science is perfect for you. You could always do a Mathematics-related course like Finance or Engineering, but you wouldn't get a proper taste of real Mathematics (yes, I did just dis the engineering courses :p)
I do engineering and I completely agree. Unless you do aerospace engineering you're slightly disadvantaged if you do the advanced maths units because some of the easier concepts we skip over quickly are used more and stuff in some engg units.

In First Year, regardless of BSc. (Any major) or BSc. (Advanced Mathematics), you are required to take some Science (Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Psychology, Environmental Sciences etc etc) units, and of course Mathematics, is compulsory. In Second Year, you can choose to take ALL Mathematics subjects if you wish (that's what I did).

Now, your question is regarding the BSc.(Mathematics) versus the BSc.(Advanced Mathematics). Indeed, the ATAR requirement is quite high. If you initially don't get into the Adv. Mathematics stream, you can do the normal BSc and if you show some promise (ie: D average minimum, maybe more), they can transfer you to the Advanced Mathematics stream.
Can you transfer if you get a HD/D average in Advanced Maths units, but don't do so well in your other stuff? (Not going too (lol, me and maths, I was just wondering)

You can't exactly 'major' in non-maths, but you can essentially have the equivalent of a 'secondary major' or sometimes called a 'minor' in a Non-Maths subject. Otherwise, you could just have a major and a minor, both in Mathematics.
So you can. ~whoops~ sorry about that.

Yep, SSP is for especially talented students who have either 95+ in Extension 2 Mathematics, or show serious dedication + extra-curricular activities (ie: Maths Competitions etc). It is very rare to have a person accepted into SSP without having done the highest level of Mathematics available (whether it be IB, or the HSC).

Furthermore, the usual minimum ATAR for SSP is 98.5 or around there. You have to apply with a form, and the SSP coordinator (Daniel Daners) selects the top 20 or so students.

If you get it, take the opportunity. You won't regret it. I took it and it was absolutely fascinating. You can get bonus points for your other Maths subjects by doing it (only 2 or 3 marks at most), but trust me when you're at that level, 2-3 marks means the world of difference.
Oh yeppers, I meant for the advanced units it says on the web you can have only done 3U with a band E4(most likely 95+) and genuine interest in maths (e.g. You could've wanted to do 4U but your school didn't run it, or something). I've fixed my post now to be more clear. (This is what I get for waking up from a nap and posting straight to BoS. :p )

And FYI: UNSW has the SSP program too, but I can't comment too much about it, since I go to USYD.
My friend did the TSP programme at UNSW for the first semester and he said it was good (I think), but I think you need 90+ in maths to stay in it. And their classes are separate from Advanced (but they cover the same stuff, but more in-depth), whereas, USyd SSP you go to the advanced classes, BUT you have an extra "seminar" (I think an extra lecture), and you either go to the SSP tutorial instead of 1901/1903 tutorials, or you go to an extra one as well as those ones.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Also, if you're good enough to swap into advanced maths you should at least be good enough to get the credit average needed for the degree (in first year at least), because I'm on a C average for advanced maths in first year and like, I am pretty bad at maths.

BUT keep in mind that some people do fail advanced maths units, so don't assume scaling will save you. :p

Nick_K

HSC
Uni Grad
OP if you are interested you should apply for SSP as well. Not alot of people apply and almost everybody who does gets in. Plus the assignments are easier than 1901/1902.

Wentworth

HSC
B Science is like...30 contact hrs per week or something crazy like that
and scientists don't even get paid a lot for their labour... be prepared to live in an apartment with your shorter/taller friend, and to have an engineer of some sort + his foreigner scientist friend at your place. Wednesday night should be halo night! :p

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
B Science is like...30 contact hrs per week or something crazy like that
and scientists don't even get paid a lot for their labour... be prepared to live in an apartment with your shorter/taller friend, and to have an engineer of some sort + his foreigner scientist friend at your place. Wednesday night should be halo night! :p
20-28 depending on your subjects.
And they get paid well if they're good at their job.

An engineer would probably have their own place.

If this is some big bang theory reference I don't find it amusing. That show is pretty shit.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Can you transfer if you get a HD/D average in Advanced Maths units, but don't do so well in your other stuff? (Not going too (lol, me and maths, I was just wondering)

My friend did the TSP programme at UNSW for the first semester and he said it was good (I think), but I think you need 90+ in maths to stay in it. And their classes are separate from Advanced (but they cover the same stuff, but more in-depth), whereas, USyd SSP you go to the advanced classes, BUT you have an extra "seminar" (I think an extra lecture), and you either go to the SSP tutorial instead of 1901/1903 tutorials, or you go to an extra one as well as those ones.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yep, you can still transfer but of course it would be more difficult than if you were more well-rounded.

And yeah you're kinda right. When you do SSP, you are in a tutorial with other SSP people instead of the normal 1901 or 1903 ones. Will be labelled 1906 or 1907 instead. However if you have a clash (I did), then you can still attend the normal one. However, it would be advantageous to attend the tutorial with other SSP people so you can discuss the Assignment questions and whatnot.

You have you own separate seminar on TOP of your current lectures and stuff, but it's to cover extra material for the assignments that are given in SSP.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Yep, you can still transfer but of course it would be more difficult than if you were more well-rounded.
K, coolies.

And yeah you're kinda right. When you do SSP, you are in a tutorial with other SSP people instead of the normal 1901 or 1903 ones. Will be labelled 1906 or 1907 instead. However if you have a clash (I did), then you can still attend the normal one. However, it would be advantageous to attend the tutorial with other SSP people so you can discuss the Assignment questions and whatnot.

You have you own separate seminar on TOP of your current lectures and stuff, but it's to cover extra material for the assignments that are given in SSP.
Yay, that's what I meant but in better wording (and also now I know the difference between a lecture and a seminar, and why no 1906 people were in my 1901 tute)

shibalnom

HSC
N/A
i know this is kinda late but i was wondering if choosing Bsc majoring in math at UNSW and then choosing all math courses in second year, e.g. higher variable calc, higher linear algebra, higher complex analysis, etc (adv equiv for USYD) can allow you to graduate with a Bsc (ADv math) degree at unsw. I've seen how USYD has this kind of thing but i wondered if UNSW offers the same. Also will a combined degree of B computer science/ B science at UNSW still work for this process of choosing the adv math stream, meaning majoring in math for science in the combined degree and still graduate with a Adv math (like described in this forum) combined with computer science.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)