what is an Inner Journey? (1 Viewer)

BrotherJim

HSC
When i ask this im not completely clueless but i dont think i understand it enough to start writing essays.
Could anyone please fill me in?

nwatts

HSC
It's the process of gaining insight and understanding of oneself through experience. There's a lot more to it, but that's the basic definition.

Which set-text do you do? It's easier to talk about the journey if you've got an example. :p

BrotherJim

HSC
i do empire of the sun though i havnt really started reading yet. Im now thinking fightclub would be great for inner journeys. His imaginary friend Tyler is symbolic of everything he is not, but longs to understand and learn from. Ultimately from living and interacting with Tyler he begins to understand the problems of his old life, associated with consumerism and a boring occupation and through the learning process he becomes everything he was not (if you look at it from a perspective that Tyler and the main character are the same single person) which completes his journey of discovery.

HSC
N/A
Just in case you didn't get it via pm:

Let's start with the concept of "the journey". In layman's terms, you start somewhere, then something happens, then you end up somewhere else (whether physically or metaphorically). :D

Now let's look at the different types of journeys outlined in the syllabus. We've got Physical, Imaginary, and Inner. Bearing in mind that "something has to happen", let's play around with what sort of thing that might be. A Physical journey obviously involves physical activity of some kind. You might start an imaginary journey off by hallucinating, or daydreaming. And an inner journey (going by the words, anyway) tends to look at emotional or psychological journeys - anything that changes things on the "inside" (ie internal --> Inner).

You've got the concept of the journey right, you just need to look at it from an "Inner" angle Remember that the different "categories" can have some crossover points, but you need to focus mainly on your specified journey. Suggested stimulus texts include Journey to the Interior and The Road Not Taken (or whatever).

In regards to languages - I'm not an uber-fancy language-user myself, as I tend to choke (either physically or mentally) when I try to pronounce multi-syllable words. I'll use the proper technical terms when required, but otherwise it's more or less like what you see here in regards to language. And I did fine

HOWEVER: A key point in regards to the HSC English syllabus is level of language, otherwise known as degree of formality. Students are expected to use a formal tone in their responses, as demonstrated in this excerpt.

^ You see, you don't have to go overboard with language, but speaking formally can actually make quite a difference. That being said, I've never seen any of your essays - you do have to construct your sentences properly, use language appropriate for your audience and level of formality (all of which could come under the umbrella term of "language", if your teacher is feeling lazy).

One last thing - you've got about a year to work on your language Good on you for looking at fixing it now, but don't bash yourself over the head with it just yet

Best wishes!

nwatts

HSC
Yeah, Fight Club sounds like a good text to use. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, I haven't seen it in a while. I must dust it off and give it a go, it's a great film. :) The Town Where Time Stands Still would probably be a good stimulus text to use with Fight Club too. Good balance between how the world affects the journey (with your consumerism and his job as a re-call assessor) and how his "internal psychology" shapes the path of where he's headed (with the whole schizophrenic, subliminal manifestation of perfect self bit), which is essentially the "genii loci", where he and Marla hold hands as the credit-card companies' buildings fall. :)

It sounds like you have a decent grasp of what the inner journey is. You've just got to read Empire of the Sun and start to look for things the two texts have in common, or look for aspects of the journey they both comment on.

Simmie

HSC
Thanks for helping me out a lot, especially Glitterfairy... I'm writing a speech on Inner Journeys and reading your posts has helped me a lot... thanks :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)