• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What is a debenture (1 Viewer)

Jyoti!!!!!!!

HSC
I do not know what a debenture exactly is. There are so many defenitions but i don't understand it. Can any one please explain it to me?
:confused: :confused: :jedi:

exa_boi87

aka biomic
HSC
As I understand a debenture is an offer to the general public from a business as a means of finance. They issue debentures to a number of individuals (can be up to thousands) which is basically terms of a 'loan', where an individual offers an amount of money to invest into the business. The debenture thats offered has a "return" on this investment (eg: 6%) that the indiviudal who loaned the money will recieve based on the terms outlined in the prospectus (eg: per annum, quarterly, or even a lump payout with interest on maturity in a few years).

Once you get the idea, its pretty basic .. but yes, initially I had problems discerning between a debenture and bond >< If youre still having problems grasping it, ill copy and paste the textbook definition and walk through it :)

barnsey88

HSC
its often a form of gearing used by a business for purposes of gaining a higher return than the interest paid

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)