• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What happens in the first few weeks/months at uni? (1 Viewer)

manifestation

What?!
HSC
okay I was pondering about something else...do uni's have lectures for subjects more than once? Like is it only one lecture per subject and if you miss out on the one lecture do they have anymore?

HSC
N/A
Um, some subjects have two or three streams of lectures.

So it may run at 11am and 2pm on that day

But after that, it's gone. Sorry.

= Jennifer =

HSC
manifestation said:
okay I was pondering about something else...do uni's have lectures for subjects more than once? Like is it only one lecture per subject and if you miss out on the one lecture do they have anymore?
depends on the uni and the unit.

for example at uws they only have one day lecture and one night lecture per week, per unit, per campus

but don't worry if u miss a lecture because usually the notes/powerpoint presentations are provided on webCT and you could always borrow someone's notes if you were really concerned

hYperTrOphY

HSC
What are some worthwhile investments to make before uni starts? For eg, laptop, voice recorder, usb drive etc..?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
manifestation said:
I get one lecture a week. I can't change the time, its up the to school when they want the times. Usually they are pains and schedule four subject lectures on four different days :rolleyes:

hYperTrOphY said:
What are some worthwhile investments to make before uni starts? For eg, laptop, voice recorder, usb drive etc..?
Ive never seen anyone use laptops or voice recorders in lectures, but you may want a laptop to do work if the IT labs are full or your rushing to finish an assignment at the last minute :p Remember, most lectures are shown on powerpoint presentations and all you really need to do is jot down the main points. You'll find that some lecturers put their lectures up on webct. However, it may be different for you, after the first week, you'll see what works and what doesn't. Also, if your voice recording, don't forget to ask the lecturers permission to record their lecture, usually they are pretty cool with it, and they'll let you.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
miss_gtr said:
Christ, how do the mark the roll in lectures when there is like 200+ people, they don't scroll down a list, call out your name and make you say "present" do they?
They don't. That's why no one cares if you don't turn up, it's your own loss since you miss out on the info.

manifestation

What?!
HSC
miss_gtr said:
Christ, how do the mark the roll in lectures when there is like 200+ people, they don't scroll down a list, call out your name and make you say "present" do they?
go back a few pages in the thread and you might find your answer lol. I was wondering about attendance etc etc before too.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
miss_gtr said:
Our tourism lecturers do, but thats because they are mean. Within a few weeks, they remember your name. Damn, thats what I get for having the same lecturer for subjects in every semester :( But then again, like I said before, its very uncommon to have any more than 100 people in our lectures, we just usually sign our name.

hYperTrOphY

HSC
me said:
...or what about a filing cabinet? Do we get a shitload of paper work that we will need organised?

= Jennifer =

HSC
hYperTrOphY said:
to answer your question about a laptop refer to this thread it's really good in helping determine whether or not you need one http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=56521

i would definately get a usb drive it comes in handy when you need to transfer stuff from home to uni or vice versa also you can store more than floppy's and they are not as big as cd's

with a voice recorder you do not really need one, i have one but rarely use it. this is something you can buy later if u feel the need when the time comes

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
yup a usb drive is essential. at cumberland there is no more floppy disk drives from this year so you have to use them

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)