What happens if you run out of time for your second text? (1 Viewer)

NobodyKnows

HSC
In all the practice essays I've written I get about 650ish words on Brave New World, then I run out of time for Blade Runner and only get about 300.

I know the Module is a comparative study, but what happens if you detail one text and not the other??

HSC
N/A
Sounds like you're going text by text. Even if you're planning to stick with this essay format, time management is a must. Either learn to be more concise or cull some of the less critical points in order to give more time to your other text.

NobodyKnows

HSC
Thanks.

Going to aim for around 500 words for each text and see how I go.

Is it wise to go text by text? God, Modules scare me.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
NobodyKnows said:
Thanks.

I generally don't think it is a good idea to go text by text, especially in this module, as it wastes time repeating some things and to an extent makes it harder to compare the two texts. My preference was by dealing with themes e.g THEME 1; identify, define and then contrast specific points in the texts in order to expand upon the theme. If however you find this method difficult (or you've never tried it before), then its probably too late to switch modes.

It does make me wonder if your problem is simply not just because you're less comfortable with using material from Blade Runner - perhaps you just need to gather some more information to support your analysis or spend some more time going over it between now and the HSC.

HSC
N/A
NobodyKnows said:
Thanks.

Text by text is wise if it's the only thing you know how to do and it's only a week or so off the HSC :p Otherwise, by concept is much better (and the norm once you hit uni).

And yes. Eng Adv modules can be extremely stupid. :)

NobodyKnows

HSC
Thanks for the input everyone,

I'm going to leave it alone for now and move on to FRONTLINE. Bleh.

HSC
N/A
move onto frontline for a bit if you're frustrated, otherwise knuckle down and learn how to effectively juggle the two texts now rather than later. You'll feel a lot better when you do :)

NobodyKnows

HSC
More than frustrated -- just about ready to throw things across the room. :) Damn comparisons.... I'll look at it again later.

HSC
N/A
Maybe it's not too late to look at going by concepts rather than by text (you do 3U english, so I'm assuming you know how to go by concepts).

*intro

* topic 1
As explored in BNW blahblahblah
Alternatively in BR blahblahblah

* topic 2
In BNW it is seen that blahblahblah
Similarly in BR blahblahblah

and so on :) You'll be using a lot of stuff you already have, it's just a different way of shaping it, and it's MUCH easier to make sure you're writing equally on the two texts :)

HSC
N/A
^ Not all, but definately most do.

lol. I remember my english teacher (senior HSC marker) basically bashing us over the heads with the importance of synthesising texts. I still have the image of him standing in the doorway, emphatically stating "girls, you MUST synthesise!" *does the accompanying hand gestures*

Last edited:

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
LottoX said:
My teacher calls it integration of texts, which prompts the (mainly nerdy) class to mutter + c.

Okay, it was just me muttering the + c bit.
hehe... that's something i would do.

groovychacha

HSC
My teacher is a HSC senior marker and he said do it intro where u talk about both, couple of paragraphs on emma then a couple on clueless then conclusion with reference to both texts.
Personally, i think either way is fine but i will now do my essays by themes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)