What happens if u didn't do maths? (1 Viewer)

Stargal

Can anyone tell me what its like doing a bridging course at Uni if you haven't done 2U maths? Becoz I was thinking of moving down to general but most courses require you to have 2 unit. So I'm not sure whether to stay or not.

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
well depends on what ur doing..
i think most engineering and science degrees require u to have assumed maths e1 knowledge, but must have 2u knowledge at least..

depends on what ur planning to do.. what do u want to do?

Stargal

I want to do business or commerce. But i started thinkin that if my maths is reli bad then I won't get the Uai to get into the course. But if i do general and i get in i'll have to do a bridgin course.

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
yeah theres always bridging courses and maths workshops at uni where they sit with u for a 2 hr period or something
(usyd)

im not sure bout the other uni's

and dont worry about the general maths scaling thing
i know someone who did no science and did gerneral maths, and got 90-91 uai.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
If you are confident of doing better with general maths, and that you cant get the UAI with 2U maths then I would do it your way, but if you dont learn the stuff at the bridging course quickly you may suffer a bit in the degree trying to understand it.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Bridging courses are really rushed, and Mathematics requires understanding which may take time (for some more than others).

Stargal

I'm doing 10 units. So Maths counts a lot. I'm like borderline in passing. I'm doing reli crap =(

Rahul

Dead Member
cant you try to pick up your game in maths? with enough work, you CAN get good marks in maths. it is all in the amount you put in.

overwhelming

Maths isn't necessary for anything basically, with a few exceptions. Actuarial studies/accounting/mathematical courses will only require mathematics 2unit as prereq. and ext1 maths as recommended knowledge (assumed knowledge).

So yea, it depends on what course you are looking at doing. Obviously if you are not talented or interested in maths, then you shouldn't even bother doing maths then.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by flyin'
Bridging courses are really rushed, and Mathematics requires understanding which may take time (for some more than others).
thats what i got told about picking my sciences too. my tecahers reccomended phys/chem because the bio bridgin course in uni was easy compared to the physics and chem ones

i agree with rahul, try to pick up your game in maths. it really doesnt take much of an effort to at least to try and understand. make sure you're practising questions as well- over and over

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Note also that General is not necessarily "easier" than Mathematics - it is a completely different course with different aims. My tutor (who teaches both) was constantly reminding me that General students have a more difficult Probability unit that us 2 unit kids.

victorling

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Stargal
Can anyone tell me what its like doing a bridging course at Uni if you haven't done 2U maths? Becoz I was thinking of moving down to general but most courses require you to have 2 unit. So I'm not sure whether to stay or not.

well..maths is an essential subject for many uni subjects and even our everyday lives...anyway, maths if full of fun...u will feel greatly satisfied after u conquered a question...trust me

btw...general maths scale u down horribly.umm

overwhelming

i have seen people who have achieved extraordinary results w/out doing any unit of mathematics.

victorling

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by overwhelming
i have seen people who have achieved extraordinary results w/out doing any unit of mathematics.
yes
u r right
but it seems a bit weird if u lack some maths knowledge...
umm..anyway..my opinion

^___^
HSC
Originally posted by victorling
yes
u r right
but it seems a bit weird if u lack some maths knowledge...
umm..anyway..my opinion
my friend's sister..she did no maths at all and got like 98 for her uai..or somewhere around that...

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
why would maths be a prerequisite for getting a good UAI? :S

but don't drop to general, imho. Just do your homework (or some maths work everyday), and sharpen your algebra. That should be enough to get a band 6.

in my opinion anyway

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Stargal
I want to do business or commerce. But i started thinkin that if my maths is reli bad then I won't get the Uai to get into the course. But if i do general and i get in i'll have to do a bridgin course.
Mathematics 2unit is recommended for Commerce. A friend was telling that bridging courses don't help much, or may be it depends from person to person.

I agree with Grey Council.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)