what happen if your ATAR is high, but you are not competitive enough? (1 Viewer)

JJ_Lin

HSC
I read it from some 'UAC guide' it says that universities has the ultimate power to determine whether or not they are going to take a student. And even if you got the ATAR required, it doesn't mean you will definately be chosen.

Is this true? Even if I have ATAR of 85, it doesn't mean I will be definately chosen for B of science in USYD? (which requires 84.40)

arrrrrrrrrh, if it is like that, I will be very disstress, even that it is 2 years from me.

And by the way, how many student does USYD taking every year?

Thanks!:)

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
De + infinite + ly.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Just remember that the ATAR was last year's cut-off and it can, and many courses often do, change this year.

The ATAR is based on supply and demand so last year the cut-off was set at the figure of the bottom student who was accepted (without additional reasons). However, this year more students might apply with higher ATARs thus raising it or it could drop due to fewer students applying and thus lowering the cut-off.

I do know of one course where the UAI dropped 20 points in a two year span (85 in 2004 and 65 in 2006 - my godson got the 85 in 2004 and was upset when he realised in 2006 that he only needed 65 to get into the same course as he had worked so hard to get the 85 and only just scrapped in whereas two years later friends got in who had stuffed around).

HSC
While the university does not have to accept you purely on the basis of your ATAR. in the vast, vast majority of cases if you get a ATAR above the course cut-off, you will be accepted. Although keep in mind what cem said, that the course-cut offs can and do change from year to year.

HSC
N/A
don't delete my posts please silver persian

because if you do, i will find you, and hunt you down

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)