what exactly is a thesis ? (1 Viewer)

s-tressed

HSC
Hi,
So I know a thesis is your argument but how exactly does this differ from your topic sentence in your intro? Usually my topic sentence for my intro involves a statement showing that I agree/disagree with the question... Would that be my thesis?

Sorry if this is a really stupid question ahaha :/

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
so thesis in its entirety is YOUR answer to a question

the difference between a topic sentence and your thesis is that a TS explores ideas supporting your thesis.

for example, if a question was like: "are dogs better than cats?" and my answer was "yes, dogs are better than cats because of x,y,z", my topic sentences would explore the "x", "y", "z", components that support my thesis and elaborate upon my argument.

i hope that makes sense.
sorry for the bad example

s-tressed

HSC
so thesis in its entirety is YOUR answer to a question

the difference between a topic sentence and your thesis is that a TS explores ideas supporting your thesis.

for example, if a question was like: "are dogs better than cats?" and my answer was "yes, dogs are better than cats because of x,y,z", my topic sentences would explore the "x", "y", "z", components that support my thesis and elaborate upon my argument.

i hope that makes sense.
sorry for the bad example
Oh yeah I think I underderstand now! You're the best :)

Axio

=o
HSC
Also note that there are plenty of other names for a thesis such as argument or contention (VCE).

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
A thesis is usually incorporated into your topic sentences and supported/extended by quotes and techniques and effects within the body paragraph. For example, a thesis about belonging may be-The formation of strong interpersonal connections is critical to ensure an individual attain a genuine sense of personal affinity. Beyond simply disagreeing/agreeing with the question-your thesis should indicate to WHAT EXTENT you agree with the proposed statement (particularly in an assess/evaluate) question and WHY you have made such an assessment. Hope this helps a bit:)

Mdyeow

HSC
Uni Grad
Your thesis is your answer to the question.

Your topic sentences are the reasons why you made such an answer.

And your evidence/analysis is the body of reasoning for those reasons.

#inception

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)