What does UAC base the projected ATAR cut-offs on? (1 Viewer)

Anamagus

HSC
For example at macquarie all these combined law courses have a projected 2015 cut-off which is more than 5 ATAR points lower than it was in 2014. I'm just wondering, what does UAC based these projected cut-offs on? For any past hsc students have they been accurate in the past?

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
Popularity, and quality of the students . They use these two, and determine what ATAR cut-off is suitable for each course. EG. UNSW commerce EXTREMELY POPULAR, thus UAC offers only the brightest students therefore the ATAR required is higher. Contrast this with UWS commerce which is very unpopular, attracts the not so bright students thus the ATAR is lower at 65. I don't think UAC sets the ATAR cut-off, rather the insitution does. I hope I answered your question!

astroman

HSC
Popularity, and quality of the students . They use these two, and determine what ATAR cut-off is suitable for each course. EG. UNSW commerce EXTREMELY POPULAR, thus UAC offers only the brightest students therefore the ATAR required is higher. Contrast this with UWS commerce which is very unpopular, attracts the not so bright students thus the ATAR is lower at 65. I don't think UAC sets the ATAR cut-off, rather the insitution does. I hope I answered your question!
and whether or not they meet the atar cut off

Anamagus

HSC
Popularity, and quality of the students
Yeah I understand that's how the cut off works. But I mean if you click the link provided, UAC's predicts the ATAR for 2015 for all these courses will be a full 5 ATAR points lower than what it was in 2014. Why is UAC assuming that this year these combined law courses will be less popular and the quality of students will be a LOT lower than they were in 2014?

Last edited:

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I understand that's how the cut off works. But I mean if you click the link provided, UAC's projected ATAR for 2015 for all these courses is a full 5 ATAR points lower than what it was in 2014. Why is UAC assuming that these combined law courses will be less popular and the quality of students will be a LOT lower than they were in 2014?
Ah I see. They lowered the ATAR because the course was not popular last year. They're assuming this based on trend really. They think what happened last year, will happen this year and so forth. To verify this, take a look at the ATAR's for 2012-13 for the degrees your outlined above, and see if the ATAR cut off decreased then.

Another reason would be other insitutions may have introudced a new combined law degree that appealed to the students more, or the other "prestigous" uni's lowered theres, and thus attracted the students that would have applied to MQ. There are many reasons, but popularity is definitely the main one!

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
For example at macquarie all these combined law courses have a projected 2015 cut-off which is more than 5 ATAR points lower than it was in 2014. I'm just wondering, what does UAC based these projected cut-offs on? For any past hsc students have they been accurate in the past?
These are the cut-offs for international students

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Dun do law at macq, it's a trap. Unless you intend to transfer to USYD or UNSW

All-ergy

HSC
Wait, are these the ATAR cutoff's they'll be using for our main offers for the class who finished HSC in 2014?

Silly Sausage

HSC
Wait, are these the ATAR cutoff's they'll be using for our main offers for the class who finished HSC in 2014?
No. They're the predicted atar cut-offs for international students (which in most cases are ~5 points lower than domestic students) unless you're willing to pay the full fee.

JAKZILLASAURUS

HSC
As someone who works in Student Administration at UTS, I'd like to clarify a few things that a lot of people seem to misunderstand about ATAR cut-offs. First of all I'd like to say that I have no idea how UAC come up with these 'projected' cut-offs, my guess is that they survey student's to see which courses are more popular this year and compare that to previous years.

Now on to things that I do know. In order to qualify for admission into most undergraduate degrees as a current school leaver there is only one admission requirement, and that is to receive an ATAR of 65 or above. When your application is assessed they're not going to compare it against some magical cut-off and let in everyone who is above it and reject everyone who is below. There is no such thing as an ATAR cut-off at the end of the day. If you look through the list of courses on the UAC website they will all list the 2014 cut-off. This is basically the lowest ATAR that was admitted to that course for 2014, the cut-off could end up being higher or lower depending on the number of applicants this year and the competitiveness of the applications.

I wouldn't pay too much heed to these projected cut-offs. They're just speculation and the end result could be completely different. Just try and do your best in the HSC and apply for the degrees that you really want regardless of your ATAR. At the end of the day there are plenty of other ways to get into uni without an amazing ATAR. Good luck in your exams :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)