What does polarization mean? (1 Viewer)

toprun91

HSC
Does anyone know what polarization means. I read this sentence " Hertz was able to show that, like light, the new electromagnetic waves could be polarised."

k02033

HSC
when an EMR is linearly polarized the oscillation of the electric fields only occurs in one plane. This is the maximum degree of polarization.

so generally polarization is restriction of the electric field of the EMR to oscillate in certain planes only.

Last edited:

toprun91

HSC
Thx for your answer can you explain it a little more simply

Nuendo

HSC
so generally polarization is restriction of the electric field of the EMR to oscillate in certain planes only.
In relation to Hertz, he only achieved a spark in the secondary loop when the discharge gaps were in a parallel plane with each other. From this, he observed that EMR travelled in straight lines and were in fact transverse waves, since only these can be polarised.

So basically, I remember the concept of polarisation as a restricting path for EMR (ie, Hertz had to align his loops in a specific way, with the help of parabolic mirrors, in order to transmit the waves)

toprun91

HSC
In relation to Hertz, he only achieved a spark in the secondary loop when the discharge gaps were in a parallel plane with each other. From this, he observed that EMR travelled in straight lines and were in fact transverse waves, since only these can be polarised.

So basically, I remember the concept of polarisation as a restricting path for EMR (ie, Hertz had to align his loops in a specific way, with the help of parabolic mirrors, in order to transmit the waves)
Thankyou

k02033

HSC
So basically, I remember the concept of polarization as a restricting path for EMR
polarization is not about limiting which path the EMR can travel.. you can have a source sending out polarized light in all directions.

polarization is when you look at any particular EMR wave, and its electric fields are oscillating in certain planes only. Maybe this is hard to see without diagrams, just wiki it, and you will see.

Last edited:

toprun91

HSC
polarization is not about limiting which path the EMR can travel.. you can have a source sending out polarized light in all directions.

polarization is when you look at any particular EMR wave, and its electric fields are oscillating in certain planes only. Maybe this is hard to see without diagrams, just wiki it, and you will see.
Good answer easy to understand

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)