What does a Bachelor of Commerce entail? (1 Viewer)

acemusic415

HSC
Hey guys, like the question states what does it actually encompass?

The other day, I was watching a new television series called Suits and it was essentially, the world of corporate law and top tier law firms. I have never been actually interested in corporate law and the economics/business/commerce field. However, I was pondering other career paths and I felt that doing something in the business world wouldn't be too bad, despite the fact I have no knowledge regarding this field evidenced by my subject selection. I originally had in mind an International Studies degree combined with Law but at this point, it is subject to change.

Having said that, what is a Commerce degree? What is the actual distinction betwen Commerce, Business and an Economics degree? Can anybody explain? That said, I really do enjoy my art subjects such as English and languages. Would it be possible to chose that as an elective, if I ended up doing a combined degree of Commerce/Law?

My other concern I needed clarifying is the level of Mathematics needed. The UAC 2012 guide states that it is assumed to know 2U Maths but I don't do any maths at all - I despise Maths. If I happen to choose this degree, will not having done Maths severely disadvantage my understanding and approach to the course. That said, I read that for a Commerce degree, you can have two majors to select. Obviously, I would choose Commercial Law and what would another appropriate major I should choose?

Cheers, sorry for this long ass post.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Hey guys, like the question states what does it actually encompass?

Having said that, what is a Commerce degree?
A Commerce degree basically covers the wide range of fields involve in business practice.

What is the actual distinction betwen Commerce, Business and an Economics degree? Can anybody explain?

Not completely sure about business degree. However, a commerce degree includes everything to do with businesses, including market analysis, accounting, management, financial planning. Economics is more specifically to do with monetary trends, fiscal equations, econometrics etc.

That said, I really do enjoy my art subjects such as English and languages. Would it be possible to chose that as an elective, if I ended up doing a combined degree of Commerce/Law?
No, not if you're doing a double degree. With a normal degree you need to do electives. However, with a double, your other degree takes up the elective slots.

My other concern I needed clarifying is the level of Mathematics needed. The UAC 2012 guide states that it is assumed to know 2U Maths but I don't do any maths at all - I despise Maths. If I happen to choose this degree, will not having done Maths severely disadvantage my understanding and approach to the course.
Not for Commerce. They usually walk you through the basics in first year. Basic skills with algebra are good to have though.

That said, I read that for a Commerce degree, you can have two majors to select. Obviously, I would choose Commercial Law and what would another appropriate major I should choose?
While you can do two, normally you'd do one major if your doing a double degree. Don't worry about your major yet though, you've still got plenty of time to change your mind on it.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
The main difference between a commerce, business and economics degree are the units/subjects that you can do in each of them, other than core subjects that are common to all three degrees, there are some subjects and majors that are only available to each degree. I would recommend that you look through a list of subjects for each degree before deciding which one, e.g. here's a B Commerce (note the list of majors available), B Business Administration, and B Economics. Also, you may also want to consider the double degrees that are offered.

The entry requirements are different for each, so some may have a higher or lower ATAR.

Mathematics - depends on the types of subjects that you pick, e.g. if you pick statistics or econometrics - 2 unit math or above would probably be an advantage, but say human resources or marketing, there isn't much math, if any in those.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
you can get away with not knowing maths in accounting and finance

if you pick the wordy finance courses

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)