• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What do you think is a reasonable price for a CD? (1 Viewer)

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
I am paying about $55 to order a cd from some polish store, and i already have a burnt copy anyway. Still I could easily sell it on ebay for more.
But JB Hifi is great, heaps cheap and a good selection ive bought cds there for $18 that are $30 elsewhere.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Soma said:
But JB Hifi is great, heaps cheap and a good selection ive bought cds there for $18 that are $30 elsewhere.
JB Hi-Fi is really good, that is where I buy just about all of my CD's from:).

Pharrell

$10 is reasonable, i think $30 is way too much... like the difference between a store like sanity n big w is like $10 for new realease stuff... so i end up paying $20, but yeah to answer the Q, $10

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
in the near future cds r going to become a thing of the past- like a collecotrs thing

i mean look at iTunes- that is the start of digital music industry that will take over buying cds.
they might even have stores where they have all the mp3s stored at different birates, versions whatever and u purchase the mp3s individually.

but in the end before this can happen the music industry will have to crush music piracy on the internet

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
wanton-wonton said:
If you want the classic albums (whether it'd be metal, rock, pop, or shit like that), then you'd get it for free on the net.

I use WinMX for filesharing

I download an album as one mp3 file and i extract it using a program
very easy to use, it's where i get all my 100+ metal/hard rock/classic rock albums from.

I have never bought a single album in all my life, my first album will either be marilyn mansons greatest hits or judas priests new album releasing early next year.

I don't think theres much of the new stuff though, worth a try.
Congratulations for not supporting your bands.

I download off IRC, but I buy a lot of albums as well, most of what I download in fact so it balances out.

I usually buy music off either ebay or distros online, since most of the stuff I like is pretty hard to get in most stores anyway. I usually pay about 20 for CDs, more if they are out of circulation.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
artfag said:
you're a tool

why don't you support the artists if you like music so much? oh that's right, you don't like music.

i'm so broke. i have to get most of my cds and vinyl through import on the net. i refuse to let myself spend more than 50 dollars on one cd. fuck the exchange rate
Ebay, ebay, EBAY! :p

There's alot of good stuff on Australian ebay, but if you have a paypal account...well, there's alot of good stuff on international sellers.

wanton-wonton

HSC
Merethrond said:
Firstly, when I used to use WinMX it was pretty bad, you had to wait so long for a song to download. Anyway, that is besides the point, firstly, a lot of the bands I listen to are Indie bands and I want to support them so that they can continue to make music. Secondly, I also prefer the real thing:).
what makes you think i dont support the band? why buy the real thing when the downloaded is just as good?

wanton-wonton

HSC
neo_o said:
Congratulations for not supporting your bands.

I download off IRC, but I buy a lot of albums as well, most of what I download in fact so it balances out.

I usually buy music off either ebay or distros online, since most of the stuff I like is pretty hard to get in most stores anyway. I usually pay about 20 for CDs, more if they are out of circulation.
mate, you dun know how much i support my bands. buying albums now only goes to the labels, the bands already made the money.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
wanton-wonton said:
what makes you think i dont support the band? why buy the real thing when the downloaded is just as good?
The fact that you don't buy their albums:rolleyes:.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
thejosiekiller said:
but in the end before this can happen the music industry will have to crush music piracy on the internet
I won't be very happy the day that that happens, if in fact it ever does happen. I won't have a way of finding new bands:(.

wanton-wonton

HSC
Merethrond said:
The fact that you don't buy their albums:rolleyes:.
as i said, the money goes to the labels not the band, surely you know that?

if i buy a pink floyd album now, do you really think the money goes to the band? of course not

i would only buy an album if i can't find it on the net and its really good , i dont wanna waste my money on shit

and plus, why would i give my money to elecktra who gave metallica a hard time??

on the other hand, i am planning to get metallica / iron maiden shirts in Utopia, and yes i know the money dont go to the band either, the money goes to the store, but at least this way i actually show my support for the band, instead of buying an album where no ones gives a shit about.

Last edited:

wanton-wonton

HSC
thejosiekiller said:
lars ulrich already did that on napster

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
You obviously have no idea. What happens is when a band gets signed the record label lets them record and then the sales from the CD's go straight to the record label until that debt is paid off and then the bands gets some money. So the more albums they sell, the more money the band makes:).

wanton-wonton

HSC
Merethrond said:
You obviously have no idea. What happens is when a band gets signed the record label lets them record and then the sales from the CD's go straight to the record label until that debt is paid off and then the bands gets some money. So the more albums they sell, the more money the band makes:).
no crap? metallica's black album already made shitloads of money, if i buy one now would it make a difference? honestly, they're fucking millionaries, do you think if i buy an album from Utopia would actually 'support' the band??

on the other hand as i said before, if i wear a metallica shirt and wear it outside where people can see, then i'll be supporting the band.

Last edited:

wanton-wonton

HSC
Merethrond said:
It seems to still be alive and kicking to me;).
yeh but you gotta pay now

theres still programs like winmx to help cheapcunts like me to download more...

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
wanton-wonton said:
no crap? metallica's black album already made shitloads of money, if i buy one now would it make a difference? honestly, they're fucking millionaries, do you think if i buy an album from Utopia would actually 'support' the band??
I'm not talking about "Metallica" here, I am talking about all the Independent bands out there who just want to play music but struggle to get enough money to live:).

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
wanton-wonton said:
yeh but you gotta pay now

theres still programs like winmx to help cheapcunts like me to download more...
I was referring to file sharing programs in general:).

wanton-wonton

HSC
Merethrond said:
I'm not talking about "Metallica" here, I am talking about all the Independent bands out there who just want to play music but struggle to get enough money to live:).
i dont listen to the new crap like guy sebastian
and i know, im just using metallica as an example to the type of music i listen to, that is, the classics, not the new shit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)