What do you consider to be 'good' fantasy? (1 Viewer)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
I had a discussion with my friend the other day and he was basically saying that all fantasy is trashy and I disagreed because I thought there was a fair bit of intelligent and classy stuff out there.

So I was wondering, what do you consider to be good fantasy? And if you don't think there can be any; why?

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
kami said:
I had a discussion with my friend the other day and he was basically saying that all fantasy is trashy and I disagreed because I thought there was a fair bit of intelligent and classy stuff out there.

So I was wondering, what do you consider to be good fantasy? And if you don't think there can be any; why?
The form, flow and structure of the text are always important, but they are in any text.

Fantasy words need rules. Coherent rules. I hate fantasy where magic has no effect other than being a limitless source of energy. If you compare Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time with Raymond E. Feist's Magician series, you'll see what I mean. Magic users in Randland run the risk of killing themselves or burning away their ability to use magic if they take in too much of the One Power, but in contrast there's no price in Midkemia/Kelewan (at least, as far as I remember; I always found those series to be the Poor Man's Wheel of Time).

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Most modern fantasy is fairly rubbish. There's a lot less cohesion and I think most of the writers are getting sloppy as they try to make more money out of the bandwagon.

The only fantasy I've ever enjoyed that was written within the past twenty or so years is Phillip Pullman's Dark Materials series. There was something incredibly potent and adult lying beneath the surface of that children's series.

I much prefer magical realism, a la Isabelle Allende and Gabriel Garcia Marquez and even then I don't read much of that. It has to be done meticulously, otherwise it falls flat on it's face.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
white lady said:
i just too lazy so ill sum it up in 1 title................LOTR. :D
I'm not too sure I agree with that one, Tolkien's work can be a bit clumsy and overbearing at times. He was very skilled at world building though, something in which I think few non-fantasy authors display alot of talent in.

I have to concede also, that much commentary on genetics and religion can be discovered in LOTR ... I just don't like him so I'm leary of praising it too much.:p

ObjectsInSpace said:
If you compare Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time with Raymond E. Feist's Magician series, you'll see what I mean. Magic users in Randland run the risk of killing themselves or burning away their ability to use magic if they take in too much of the One Power, but in contrast there's no price in Midkemia/Kelewan (at least, as far as I remember; I always found those series to be the Poor Man's Wheel of Time).
Oddly enough, I find Feist's series (well, some of it - the Tsurani trilogy - later stuff like conclave of shadows is eh) to be superior to Jordan's works - it deals with politics, dysphoria, immigration and imperialism. Jordan however, has produced a rather generic story which uses and re-uses elements from other narratives in a very obvious manner (Dune for e.g) and addresses few social or ideological points. What is all Jordan is the physics of his 'magic system', which in of itself is quite complex and intelligent.

While I quite enjoy the above two given examples, I'm not sure I'd give they're exactly the best representation of what fiction could or should be. Then again that lies dangerously close to the high culture vs. low culture argument.
<3 fantasy...so most things.:eek:

BUT FUCK OFFFFF anyone who says fantasy isn't valid in the way described above.

It can make AMAZING social commentary.

Would anyone consider Gulliver's Travels to be Fantasy?

Think of the satirical beauty and social commentary contained within it, and it was achieved primarily though using elements of the fantastic.

Fucking shitcunts who don't appreciate the power of the supergenre of the fantastic.:(
I'd definitely consider Gulliver's to be fantasy (at the very least it is fantastical) - you've got lilliputs, giants, intelligent horsies and flying islands etc. There's so much in it too - it works as a parody of human nature as well as the literature we used to depict it. I don't think it would have been nearly as effective without the expansive imaginary world it constructed.

Another interesting example, at least I think it is, is the Alice in Wonderland books by Lewis Carroll. Alot of serious stuff is interwoven with the weird and zany world Lewis made.

Which is perhaps the downfall of alot of fantasy (in the critical) - it can be easy to fashion a world simply with the aim to distract and entertain but not include the useful commentary like Gulliver did.

Tulipa said:
Most modern fantasy is fairly rubbish. There's a lot less cohesion and I think most of the writers are getting sloppy as they try to make more money out of the bandwagon.

The only fantasy I've ever enjoyed that was written within the past twenty or so years is Phillip Pullman's Dark Materials series. There was something incredibly potent and adult lying beneath the surface of that children's series.

I much prefer magical realism, a la Isabelle Allende and Gabriel Garcia Marquez and even then I don't read much of that. It has to be done meticulously, otherwise it falls flat on it's face.
Isn't that the curse of alot of contemporary fiction though? (Dan Brown *cough*) So much of it is made simply for the gimmicky aspect in order to sell. Much of the niche or slightly underground work seems a tad better in that respect. I think you could apply similar principles as you do with music - alot of the mainstream music lacks artistic integrity or variety as it gives into the pressure to conform. i.e the issue isn't so much whether something is fantasy but whether it's simply popular mainstream fiction.

lengy

HSC
Sword Of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. Only fantasy I've actually read. Tried to get into the more popular other fantasy books but I got bored with them.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
kami said:
Oddly enough, I find Feist's series (well, some of it - the Tsurani trilogy - later stuff like conclave of shadows is eh) to be superior to Jordan's works - it deals with politics, dysphoria, immigration and imperialism. Jordan however, has produced a rather generic story which uses and re-uses elements from other narratives in a very obvious manner (Dune for e.g) and addresses few social or ideological points. What is all Jordan is the physics of his 'magic system', which in of itself is quite complex and intelligent.
I never liked Fesit's works though. Sure, they have their themes, but if you look at the Game of the Council for example, it's nearly identical to D'aes Daemar (I think that's how you spell it), the Game of Houses. The only difference is that Jordan's is muh more subtle than Feist's. I suppose you could group the authros into two distinct sub-genres, 'soft' fantasy and 'hard' fantasy (I will strangle anyone who makes wisecracks about that). 'Soft' fantasy, like 'soft' science fiction, concentrates more on the characters and their relationships while 'hard' fantasy (again, like 'hard' science fiction) has its focus grounded in the workings of the world.

But personally, I've hated Feist since Silverthorn. Magician was excellent, and then he made the bizzare more to focus the next two books on Jimmy the Hand, who had been such a minor character in the first book that he had maybe two lines.

white lady

No Motivation Whatsoever
HSC
kami said:
I'm not too sure I agree with that one, Tolkien's work can be a bit clumsy and overbearing at times. He was very skilled at world building though, something in which I think few non-fantasy authors display alot of talent in.

I have to concede also, that much commentary on genetics and religion can be discovered in LOTR ... I just don't like him so I'm leary of praising it too much.:p
lol, that's understandable. yeah it can be a bit overbearing at times. i think Magician is probably another "good" fantasy one.....i dont know.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
brogan77 said:
If I ever had a problem with any of the people in this thread they have all redeemed themselves in my eyes. :eek:
I'm fairly certain I'll have fucked that up by tomorrow.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
ObjectsInSpace said:
I never liked Fesit's works though. Sure, they have their themes, but if you look at the Game of the Council for example, it's nearly identical to D'aes Daemar (I think that's how you spell it), the Game of Houses. The only difference is that Jordan's is muh more subtle than Feist's. I suppose you could group the authros into two distinct sub-genres, 'soft' fantasy and 'hard' fantasy (I will strangle anyone who makes wisecracks about that). 'Soft' fantasy, like 'soft' science fiction, concentrates more on the characters and their relationships while 'hard' fantasy (again, like 'hard' science fiction) has its focus grounded in the workings of the world.

But personally, I've hated Feist since Silverthorn. Magician was excellent, and then he made the bizzare more to focus the next two books on Jimmy the Hand, who had been such a minor character in the first book that he had maybe two lines.
Yeah ... I didn't like the ones after Magician anywhere near as much - except for the Empire trilogy which was co-written by Feist and Janny Wurts. I also don't think the Game of Houses is at all subtle in its writing, only in its rules. I do think Jordan is a better world builder than Feist though, even if it isn't completely original (Ogier and Trollocs > Elves and Dark Elves).
brogan77 said:
If I ever had a problem with any of the people in this thread they have all redeemed themselves in my eyes. :eek:
<3

white lady said:
lol, that's understandable. yeah it can be a bit overbearing at times.
Definitely. Out of interest, have you read the other books by Tolkien? What were your thoughts on those compared to LOTR?

white lady

No Motivation Whatsoever
HSC
kami said:
Definitely. Out of interest, have you read the other books by Tolkien? What were your thoughts on those compared to LOTR?
I've read The Hobbit.
id like to read The Children of Hurin and that other one, Simarilion.
liked the Hobbit coz it was the first one and introduced how the ring came into bilbo's hands and some of the others characters like Gandalf and Gollum involvement, but i read it second.
i think it still had the same elements like LOTR but i still prefer LOTR.
also, i like the whole good vs evil thing and the forces of good being the underdogs, thats probably why.

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
ObjectsInSpace said:
If you compare Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time with Raymond E. Feist's Magician series, you'll see what I mean. Magic users in Randland run the risk of killing themselves or burning away their ability to use magic if they take in too much of the One Power, but in contrast there's no price in Midkemia/Kelewan (at least, as far as I remember; I always found those series to be the Poor Man's Wheel of Time).
You're one of a very small number of people I've found who share my opinion on that one...
Basically though, I tend not to read trashy novels. I admit, Dan Brown was a mistake that I intend never to repeat.
Pretty much everything I read and buy is fantasy, so meh. Robert Jordan, Raymond Feist, Robin Hobb, Ian Irvine, Tolkein, Mervyn Peake... Just as a few examples of non-trashy fantasy literature.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
I admit I tired the first of Irvine's works, but quickly grew tired of it. A lot of the characters were intorduced to us with long passages of descriptions and then sent on pointless search-and-retreive quests where they'd spend three chapters on the road and half a chapter doning what they were trying to do once they reached their destination. Multiply that by about twenty; once for each character, and you could see why I grew bored with it.

Also, the world was poorly constructed. It would take characters three weeks to cross a land mass the size of say, Tasmania, whereas it would take them three days to cross a continent the size of Australia by comparison.

Lionella

HSC
One of my favourite fantasy writers is Traci Harding, i love her books! Her first book, The Ancient Future is absolutely brilliant! i recommend it to everyone, i think its definately worth reading. however, a lot of her series are the types that girls would prefer over guys.

Ennaybur

HSC
N/A
The Silmarillion was out of control. I couldn't read it the first time, but I get myself to again and it was seriously dense. Nevertheless I was about 13 at the time so I'd like to read it again.

J

jhakka

JFK said:
ancient future trilogy

i'll lend
Very good series. Trashy, I'll admit, but there's nothing wrong with trashy fantasy.

Will have a more in depth response to the thread question later.

J

jhakka

Ok, not particularly in depth, but here's a bit of something.

I've gone off the "traditional" fantasy style of late (Eddings, etc.) and although I was into the personal/political fantasy (Hobb, etc.) for a bit, I'm having trouble retaining interest in these styles for very long. I'm getting bored with the middle ages/Celtic setting with the same old storylines and either going into something more "artistic" (Dart-Thornton) or, for lack of a better term, speculative fictionish (Sean Williams).

For me, reading has always been done for relaxation and tuning out, and with an increased workload at uni and in my job, I'm enjoying things that are either less dense or so well written that I'm thoroughly engaged. I like books that either create characters well enough that you love them without knowing every little thing about them, or who keep characters at enough of a distance in order to preserve the style.

I currently enjoy new worlds. Dart-Thornton's books have worlds from a dark fairytale, while Williams has a setting so post apocalyptic that civilisation has completely recreated itself and has no idea of what came before.

At the moment, my two favourite fantasy authors are Cecilia Dart-Thornton and Sean Williams. And I am not going to type more right because it's late and I can't be bothered.

ekirii

iota
HSC
fantasy rocks my world but some of the stuff that comes out nowadays is a lot of, i think, is commercial trash.

not that it's bad but some of it just ... irks me. but i'll read it anyway just coz i'm a whre for fantasy.

i'm not sure what i would consider 'good' fantasy tho because fantasy, as a genre that relies so much on imagination, has become a bit cliched in its creativity. but i suppose i enjoy it just because of the cliche.

some favourites: david eddings (not his newest series), juliet marillier (sevenwaters and bridei although they border on historical fantasy), isobelle carmody (am desperate for the fifth book... finally!), sara douglass' troy game, patricia kenneally (keltiad), cecilia d-t (bitterbynde... crowthistle is at this time still to disjointed for me) and more and more and more...

i really enjoy jennifer fallon's stuff. robert jordan i think has gone on a bit too long now (his last book was dragging... the only thing i can really remember from it was that shopping trip in the middle...). oh, and mustn't forget marion zimmer bradley! although i think she drifts into history and sci-fi a bit. fiona mcintosh isn't bad but she has a fascination with death.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)