What do they mean by.... (1 Viewer)

HSC
i was looking at the nsw hsc online thingy and is said....
If you develop your own script ensure that the script is “a complete theatrical statement”. The exam report from 1999 said :

Individual performances need to be a self-contained piece of theatre. There has been an increase in candidates presenting monologues, audition pieces or work sourced from the Internet. When approaching such material, candidates should keep dramatic context and theatricality in mind. Although there was evidence of outstanding self-devised work, candidates not proficient in dramatic writing tended to lack theatricality in their performances. Candidates who choose to write original pieces should be aware of the need to achieve a high standard of theatricality in their work.

what do they mean by this if u know could u also give me an example
PLEASE WRITE BACK CAUSE I NEED TO WRITE MY MONOLOGUE!
thanks xxx

niteshade1312

HSC
I'll just question you first, do you really want to write your monologue? As my teacher always said, "There are so many fantastic writers and plays out there, that have already amde a statement, why do you want to write your own?!"

HSC
niteshade1312 said:
I'll just question you first, do you really want to write your monologue? As my teacher always said, "There are so many fantastic writers and plays out there, that have already amde a statement, why do you want to write your own?!"
its cause there isnt any scripts out there for idea that i have for my monolgue. I have looked everywhere and its cause my idea is really original so thats why , i know it is risky but i think im going to just take that risk and write it, i ahve written scripts and monologues before though..do you know wat they mean by theatrical statement???

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
it basically means that the script must make linear sense as a performance, out of context with the rest of the play.

if there is a play out of which you have taken a character, that character is complete, with a narrative that holds meaning.

if you write a piece for yourself, you have to be sure that the character and story that you are telling hold up without surrounding narrative.

it is hard to explain, but if you like, PM me with your idea and outline of your idea and i can tell you whether or not it is a complete theatrical statement.

(and dont worry, i finished this year, so there's no chance of a rip-off. )

niteshade1312

HSC
SuNrIsE_oVa_sEa said:
its cause there isnt any scripts out there for idea that i have for my monolgue. I have looked everywhere and its cause my idea is really original so thats why , i know it is risky but i think im going to just take that risk and write it, i ahve written scripts and monologues before though..do you know wat they mean by theatrical statement???
Sounds like you have something interesting! I'd say go for it, in that case!

stalk_if_u_dare

cheese hater
HSC
I wanted to write my own monologue..but it turned into a script with more than one character..it was easier..so i changed to scriptwriting..it was SO much fun!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)