what do i say? (1 Viewer)

bernz

Hungry. Feed me.
HSC
I've been going out with my current boyfriend for about 7.5 months and I'm starting to think about telling my mum about him. As far as I can remember, she has been anti-boys because of the HSC, but I'd like to tell her not too long after it. She has said she's open to the idea, but I haven't told her yet because a) I'm in the middle of the HSC and b) I'm not sure how to approach the subject. Anyone got any suggestions? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Just a few more days, Bernz. :p

You can choose whether to bring it up casually or to lay out the red carpet for him and introduce him to them.

The problem is, you'd better make sure you do well in your exams - otherwise your parents are going to blame it on him. If you think you might have stuffed up a little, don't tell them you've been with him for 7.5 months.

fantasy8

HSC
N/A
well, ask your dad, probably be easier to ask about the topic becuase he is a guy instead or bring ur boyfriend over and show him to ur mum, to show that his alright unless his a drop kick, then ur mum has a reason to be pissed. also, do it after teh hsc, because there less stress because u can concentrate on the hsc. well that all i got to say, hope its useful

HSC
bernz said:
I've been going out with my current boyfriend for about 7.5 months and I'm starting to think about telling my mum about him.
after 7 and a half months, i think its a fricken miracle she doesn't know already!

....you must be fricken stealthy girl!

niteshade1312

HSC
I would definately wait till after the HSC and then bring it up casually and see what happens from there..

Alimoe_KG

HSC
You could easily just elope. That way, they would have to accept him :) ...or not.

Or, you could deliberately let htem catch you two engaged in some lascivious action, and than let your bf play the brave good guy as he goes to humbly win over your parents.

Or, you could stage something, eg. you're out wiht your parents, you step in front of traffic "accidentallY" and your bf comes rushing over out of nowhere and saves you like superman without the daggy underwear. And as you lie on the pavement with a traffic jam building up beside you, you could pretend to be falling in love with this stranger who rescued you and your parents surely wouldn't object being the hopeless romantics that they are. Of course, the whole saving you before a car hits you thing will need careful planning. Or things could happen.

bernz

Hungry. Feed me.
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
The problem is, you'd better make sure you do well in your exams - otherwise your parents are going to blame it on him. If you think you might have stuffed up a little, don't tell them you've been with him for 7.5 months.
That's also the other problem... And they really shouldn't blame it on him... But I'll worry about falling off that bridge when I get to it.

Original question was some ways I could bring it up, likem, how I could start the conversation or even just the subject. I mean, it isn't something I talk about with my parents every day.

SweetSeasons

HSC
Mum, I really like this guy. *insert name*, infact I love him, and we've been going out for 7.5 months and mum, I love you.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
bernz said:
That's also the other problem... And they really shouldn't blame it on him... But I'll worry about falling off that bridge when I get to it.

Original question was some ways I could bring it up, likem, how I could start the conversation or even just the subject. I mean, it isn't something I talk about with my parents every day.
Maybe you can wait and let them find out themselves?

Don't be as sneaky and they'll eventually find out and ask you about it. :p

elefdee

How do they not know?? I think you have to give your parents more credit than you have..they cannot be that clueless!!

I think you should just pretend to have met the guy a little while ago...say mum i met this guy a little while ago and i really like him. Seeing as i have finished the hsc i thought that perhaps we would see more of each other and i would like you to meet him.

but i agree if you really dont want to do it just dont tell them...not saying that this will happen but a friend of my parents didnt tell her parents about her boyfriend untill they were going to get married...it is possible!

iamsickofyear12

HSC
If I had a girlfriend I'd try and keep it from my parents for as long as possible. If my dad knew he would tell my mum and if my mum knew she would constantly be asking about her in a very annoying way.

bernz

Hungry. Feed me.
HSC
I'm sure they have their suspicions but they have no proof... Unless you count his number showing up on the phone bill almost every day as proof... =/

Anyway, I really would like to tell them because I think they'd like him and I do think that post-HSC will be the best time to do it.

I think I'll take elefdee's suggestion of what to say. Thanks, elefdee.

To everyone else, thanks for your help!!

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Skillo said:
Lol. It's Passions!

Tell her at the end of the HSC, but say you've only been going out for 7.5days.
omg its the skilllllllo!!!
hi skillo. :eek:

umm anyway, OT i think you should just out with it. i mean if your mums seems ok with the idea then what do you really have to worry about. i wouldnt get him to meet them for a little while yet tho, that doesnt seem like a good idea.

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
bernz said:
You don't know my parents.
point being that you cant live life to please your parents all the time. my parents used to be stict as hell, and even now they're a bit on the "dont go partying, stay at home" side of things.
but after i told them that i had started dating, and when I started not always trying to do what they wanted, I was a lot happier. and i still am. Sure you can be scared of your parents all you like but in the big wide real world, you're going to have to face tougher issues. just man up and live life for yourself, not for them. if you keep doing what they want, in the end you'll see you're living their "ideal" life and not your own. you should be old enough and brave enough to be your own person.

chelzmalee

death by pastry
HSC
Just blurt it out. "Mum, I have a boyfriend, get over it"... well, maybe without the get over it part :)

Or, alternatively, "Mum, this is my boyfriend Fred.. Fred, this is my mum".. She shouldn't be too cranky if you introduce him.. My parents didn't like the idea of me dating anyone they hadn't met, but the were pretty cool once they met him.. Your mum needs to realise that you're a teenager and you need to be able to experience these things... Though how you hid it from her for 7.5 months is beyond me... :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)