What did you do, and why was it good? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alaranth

Ok, I've made the decision, I'm going to take the plunge. Before the 04's leave though, I was hopping you guys could tell me what you think is good/bad about the different projects. I'm especially curious about radio drama, but everything else as well. What would you reccomend?

:) One guy I know is doing a film for ee2, drama and art!

J

jhakka

The thread title makes me think of Arnie. "Who is your Daddy and what does he do?"

I did a short story, and it was awesome. It rocked because formality wasn't absolutely necessary, its not an essay and it was something I've wanted to do for years.

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
I did a film script, basically because I've always wanted to write one, and it's very flexible in terms of getting what you want down on paper. Although you have to be fairly literal in terms of the style of your script (ie, what's happening and how it looks)

Fire Sprite

I did poetry which was challenging but very rewarding, it was good because while upon first impression people assume poetry is confined to a form and structure its not! You can experiment and make incredibly creative pieces.

HSC
N/A
Leave? Who said anything about leaving? I'm staying! :D

But honestly though, you guys will be DYING for critique, so I'll stick around for that purpose :)

As for me, I did a short story. I've always loved to write, and doing a subject that just required me to do something I loved (and little more) was just a dream come true... it also allowed me to take a subject close to my heart and have a damn good excuse to publicly write about it :) I'm another essay-writing-hater, so the creative writing was a good outlet for me. In a lot of my original drafts, there is a LOT of venting... it all had to be edited out though :( lol.

I think all the mediums are good - I have friends that between us, we've done them all and there isn't a single person whose regretted what they've done. One or two switched from poetry to Critical Responses, but it all works out in the end.

J

jhakka

The critical response obviously being for those who like essay writing, or at least something formal and structured.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
i've always wanted to write a film script and this gave me the perfect oppurtunity to do it. I investigated and wrote about the experiences of Chinese/Australian 2nd generation kids and it was great -- firstly cos i got to talk to heaps of people about their experiences then i got to imagine what it would look like as a film then put it down on paper. It was heaps of fun, and I'll tell you that the best bit is not when you get marks back and they are good (although that is a bonus) the BEST bit is when someone reads you major work and says to you: "I LOVED it. It made me laugh, it made me smile and it made me cry."

It is then that you really feel as if you have accomplished something. This feeling is rivalled only by holding the completed manuscript in your hands or perhaps finishing the HSC. I'll get back to you when i know about that one :)

J

jhakka

ujuphleg said:
i've always wanted to write a film script and this gave me the perfect oppurtunity to do it. I investigated and wrote about the experiences of Chinese/Australian 2nd generation kids and it was great -- firstly cos i got to talk to heaps of people about their experiences then i got to imagine what it would look like as a film then put it down on paper. It was heaps of fun, and I'll tell you that the best bit is not when you get marks back and they are good (although that is a bonus) the BEST bit is when someone reads you major work and says to you: "I LOVED it. It made me laugh, it made me smile and it made me cry."

It is then that you really feel as if you have accomplished something. This feeling is rivalled only by holding the completed manuscript in your hands or perhaps finishing the HSC. I'll get back to you when i know about that one :)
I love the "I loved it part."

Even better when people say "Don't change anything." Especially when they say it about the Reflection Statement too.

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
See, Jhakka, when you say things like that it makes us want to read yours even more - you're just teasing us :D

J

jhakka

Haha, I don't do it on purpose. I actually don't want to put it up because I'm paranoid as hell that someone will steal it (not necessarily a member, but a passer by). And a stolen idea isn't good when I wanna make it into a book eventually, is it? :p

Looking back over it, I think I was a bit cocky about it. But hey, gotta have ambition, innit?

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
I agree. I want people to read my major work, but I don't want to post it up on this site, because I don't want just any Tom, Dick or Harry to read it. I don't mind giving it to 04ers for a read but yeah... once you post it up here, its fair game.

If people want to read mine, they'll have to ask for it and I'll e-mail or PM it to them.

HSC
N/A
You know, I felt like that, but upon realising that it was flawed and that if I never let anyone read it...

And even if I ever do publish it, it will be edited and reworked extensively, not to mention LENGTHENED!!!!

J

jhakka

Yah. Length is important. I barely kept it under the 8000 words.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
definatley. 30 minutes for my screenplay was way too short.

aaaah! the safe sanctuary of the 4U room.... as opposed to the madhouse in the AoS forum with 268 people in there.... 268!!!! i can't believe it.

veridis

droog
HSC
after writing a script would you ever consider doin video instead or is script realy good?
cause i cant decide which one to do

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
A script allows you a lot more scope visually, because there are things you won't realistically be able to do in the time limits of the course, and unless you're confident (and you have the money) that you can get a good cast, get good performances out of them, make a visually interesting film, on top of writing it and cutting it all together, I'd just stick with a script. I would've loved to have been able to film my script (every shot was in my head as I wrote) but it just wasn't practical.

So unless you've got experience with film, and you're confident that you'll be able to do it without betraying your vision for it (which is pretty important - there's no point in going to all that trouble when your final product is only half as good as you expected), then just write it and maybe come back to it in a couple of years time if you go to film school.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
veridis said:
after writing a script would you ever consider doin video instead or is script realy good?
cause i cant decide which one to do

I wouldn't do a video if I had the chance to do it again, because a video was only what 7 minutes long? With a script, I was able to write something which would have a performance time of 30 minutes.... It allowed for a broader scope IMO even if you didn't get to visually realise it?

I would only recommend you do a script if you really have a love and appreciation for Film though and of the techniques and subtleties which come with writing a film script. An engaging story always helps too, because, as will all of these, there is a real danger of doing something which is very cliched.

If you want more info about scripts visit the mini forum or PM me and we can have a chat :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)