what course would you do if you wanted to become... (1 Viewer)

frenchy

What course would you do if you wanted to become a General medical practioner (GP)?

Kittycat

HSC
Which Uni is best for Medicine anyway?
I mean, some say USyd but others say UNSW.... Which one is it?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Well, USyd only has graduate med, not undergraduate....

I've heard that Newcastle is best for med.... but I have never looked in to it or anything, it's just something that I've heard.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
newcaste is hard to get into since they don't offer many places.

UNSW is pretty easy to get into if you do well in UMAT

Monash also offers med

UOW will offer med in a few years, but i reckon it is pretty dodgy.

cheesegrater

Overlord of the universe
apparently newcastle is good because its 4 years not 5.
also ANU started medicine this year, and i dont think you have to do UMAT because it just says if you get a uai of 98+ contact the uni as soon as possible to be concidered.

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Yep so far, ive seen most sydneysiders preferring unsw....i have family friends going to unsw...and one to usyd as a graduate!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yeah i'd go to one of the prestigeous unis for med, if you get the uai. depending where you live i suppose, usyd or unsw. i have heard many people prefer unsw as well, i don't know why.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Well starting next year (or the year after) USYD will have a small (around 10) spots for undergrad med.

Ribbon

Did ANU start medicine this year? I know they have started a faculty of medicine (not sure if thats its name though) but I thought at this stage it was just teaching units for parts of other degrees and less full on degrees than medicine... planning to start thje medicine degree in a few years...

I could be wrong, thats just what i've heard, if I could find my 2004 UAC book I would look it up and see if it was offered but I can't so I wont :p

cheesegrater

Overlord of the universe
Originally posted by Ribbon
Did ANU start medicine this year? I know they have started a faculty of medicine (not sure if thats its name though) but I thought at this stage it was just teaching units for parts of other degrees and less full on degrees than medicine... planning to start thje medicine degree in a few years...
na in the past they just did medical science not actual medicine.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by cheesegrater
apparently newcastle is good because its 4 years not 5.
also ANU started medicine this year, and i dont think you have to do UMAT because it just says if you get a uai of 98+ contact the uni as soon as possible to be concidered.
Post-grad medicine only. They look at how you went in the undergrad course and then decide however, if you get a UAI 98+ then they put you on a list and consider you more favourably if you want to choose post-grad medicine...

Something like that anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)