B

Bambul

Well *clearly* UNSW is a better uni. And no, I'm not biased! :rolleyes:

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by Bambul
Well *clearly* UNSW is a better uni. And no, I'm not biased! :rolleyes:
I'm just curious to know the reasons why people go to UNSW. Is it because the cut-offs for some of their courses are higher than Usyd, hence ppl perceive it to be a better course?

I spent countless hours tossing up between the two, and I chose UNSW initially, but changed my mind upon visiting the open days. I'll just say that both UNSW are Usyd are good, I'm not going to say which is better overall.

Who knows I might end up at UNSW in a years time ;)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by Ultimate
Is there any particular reason you wanted to go to UNSW all along?
I do actually prefer the modern, technological feel it has - atmosphere seems a lot better, plus they look after their students. :)

Of course, I could never actually admit to that whilst within the realm of USyd. :p

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
I do actually prefer the modern, technological feel it has - atmosphere seems a lot better, plus they look after their students. :)

Of course, I could never actually admit to that whilst within the realm of USyd. :p
lol, but were u happy with the course you were doing whilst at Usyd?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Well, no, that's why I transferred. :p But that was more due to the degree itself than anything to do with USyd. I would probably have happily stayed at USyd had I received an offer there.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
Well, no, that's why I transferred. :p But that was more due to the degree itself than anything to do with USyd. I would probably have happily stayed at USyd had I received an offer there.
hmmm upon enrolling at Usyd for the science(adv maths)/commerce degree program I found that you don't really get to choose specifically what you want to do and instead are required to do compulsory units.

e.g. since in first year I'm mainly doing the science degree, you can only choose 12 credit points worth of adv maths (which is what I want to major in), and must choose atleast 24 credit points worth of any other science area apart from mathematics and statistics. e.g. physics and chem.

I'm just pondering about whether I made the right choice or not, cause I just found out that UNSW allows you to be more specific in what you major in,i.e. you decide immediately wheareas at sydney that isn't an option in first year.

Oh well, i'll see how it goes anyway.

hgpstar

barts/bcom at usyd - i am absolutely stoked about it, and about living in newtown...did you know newtown has 25 pubs? plus im living with my best friend at SUV.....oh my god im soooo excited. anyone else doing arts/com? i know zannaz said so...did you find yourself waiting in a useless line for 45 minutes during enrolment? i have the feeling they screwed us up somewhere along the line!

Last edited:

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
did you find yourself waiting in a useless line for 45 minutes during enrolment? i have the feeling they screwed us up somewhere along the line!
Yes, they made us wait for sooo long, then they tell us it's only for those who want advice for commerce. . .The whole enrolment took me 2hours!:mad:

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by zannaz

Yes, they made us wait for sooo long, then they tell us it's only for those who want advice for commerce. . .The whole enrolment took me 2hours!:mad:
I was done in 30 mins :D. Ahh the rewards of being at the front of the queue ;)

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
Originally posted by kini mini

I was done in 30 mins :D. Ahh the rewards of being at the front of the queue ;)
I could've have been in the front of the line but i just couldn't find the place!

HSC
Originally posted by chanfky
Digital Media at UNSW's COFA (College of Fine Arts)
Anyone going there?
That was my first choice.

but unfortunately I only got 88.70, so I missed it by 1.35 :(

I'm doing Arts (Media and Communications) @ UNSW, which was my fourth choice :(, I'll see if I enjoy the course, if I don't I'll consider a transfer to Digital Media...

Tell me what its like when you start :)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad

hmmm upon enrolling at Usyd for the science(adv maths)/commerce degree program I found that you don't really get to choose specifically what you want to do and instead are required to do compulsory units.

e.g. since in first year I'm mainly doing the science degree, you can only choose 12 credit points worth of adv maths (which is what I want to major in), and must choose atleast 24 credit points worth of any other science area apart from mathematics and statistics. e.g. physics and chem.

I'm just pondering about whether I made the right choice or not, cause I just found out that UNSW allows you to be more specific in what you major in,i.e. you decide immediately wheareas at sydney that isn't an option in first year.

Oh well, i'll see how it goes anyway.
I could've got into Commerce/Arts at USyd, but I instead I chose Economics/Arts @ UNSW because of the majors available (sydney doesnt have international business)
I guess a bit of research into similar degrees goes a long way?
But im sure u'll be fine, because wats the difference between choosing ur major now and nxt yr? coz u start the major in yr2 anyway (if u do a combined degree)

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
Originally posted by Ezmay
I'm doing Animal Science at USYD, and am also staying at Wesley!!! So Hi to Ultimate - I can't wait to move in, it is going to be soo much fun!
I'm doing Animal Science too! woohoo! R U going to that Barbeque thing at Camden? My real names megan, if you couldnt guess, so I'll probably see you there.
Any idea how many people are doing animal science?

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
Sorry, for everyone else, I got into Animal Science at Sydney. I cried all day when I found out, I missed Vet science by 1.05, but I went to all the trouble of getting Access, exposing my personal life to a bunch of strangers, and for what? they couldnt even give me one measly point!
For all next years year 12 - DONT BOTHER WITH ACCESS< ITS A WASTE OF TIME!!!!!!

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by MinAi

I could've got into Commerce/Arts at USyd, but I instead I chose Economics/Arts @ UNSW because of the majors available (sydney doesnt have international business)
But im sure u'll be fine, because wats the difference between choosing ur major now and nxt yr? coz u start the major in yr2 anyway (if u do a combined degree)
yeah I noticed that sydney doesn't offer international business not that I'm intending to major in it, for me it would be more like finance or accounting, maybe actuarial studies at UNSW later.

does commerce at UNSW have compulsory subjects such as accounting, business information systems, and econometrics?

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
Originally posted by MinAi

I was going to put UNSW as my preference mainly because ot offered more majors to choose from, one of them being International business which i wanted to do but Usyd did not offer. But i didn't and i wouldn't have made it anyway (the cutoff was 95.50 and got 95.45). But i am still happy with my commerce/arts offer at usyd, after all, 'IMO' the atmosphere of usyd is much to my liking than the UNSW!!!

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by zannaz

I was going to put UNSW as my preference mainly because ot offered more majors to choose from, one of them being International business which i wanted to do but Usyd did not offer. But i didn't and i wouldn't have made it anyway (the cutoff was 95.50 and got 95.45). But i am still happy with my commerce/arts offer at usyd, after all, 'IMO' the atmosphere of usyd is much to my liking than the UNSW!!!
yeah that was my thinking originally, the fact that UNSW offered more commerce majors such as actuarial studies and international business. I would have put UNSW as my first preference, but I think it was more the atmosphere that turned me off there, didn't get a good vibe.

Do u study arts mainly for your first three years then commerce in your last two years?

kini mini

HSC

does commerce at UNSW have compulsory subjects such as accounting, business information systems, and econometrics?
I have to do accounting and econometrics in first year, after that it mainly depends on the major :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)