What books will i be into? (1 Viewer)

ricometa

HSC
i dont read much, i hate all that harry potter stuff (i dont say crap, but dont want to start a flaming thread, with the hardcore harry potter fans)

the only book i am interested in is "the divided self"

In The Divided Self Laing explains how we all exist in the world as beings, defined by others who carry a model of us in their heads, just as we carry models of them in our heads. In later writings he often takes this to deeper levels, laboriously spelling out how 'A knows that B knows that A knows that B knows ....'! Our feelings and motivations derive very much from this condition of 'being in the world' in the sense of existing for others, who exist for us. Without this we suffer "ontological insecurity", a condition often expressed in terms of 'being dead' by people who are clearly still physically alive.

does anyone know where i can buy books like this about psychology?
i havnt read this book, since i havnt had time to go get myself a copy but yes its a old book being 1960

any books u can recommend?

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
I don't read Harry Potter either. My interest waned halfway through the second book, though everone assures me it gets much better afterwards.

And my God. That book sounds so full-on, you certainly picked a very high-end book for someone who doesn't read much, which is quite awesome. Just wondering, what sparked your interest in this book?

My dad bought me a book a while ago on psychology, though I probably won't be reading it for a long while, it's called "Kinds of Minds: Towards an Understanding of Consciousness" by Daniel C. Dennett. It's written by a philosopher who ponders what it means to have a mind, if starfish, ants or dogs have minds and what it is that makes human minds different.

These are two lists from Amazon.com that cite your novel and plenty of other suggested readings. Existential Theory and The Compassion of R.D Laing.

Season

HSC
You might like to get a subscription to "Psychology Today", its pretty interesting.

Also I'd recommend going down to your local library and grabbing a few books, I'm hesitant to recommend any because my taste is pretty much influenced by my Mum's university text books and generally her area...

ricometa

HSC
m0ofin said:
And my God. That book sounds so full-on, you certainly picked a very high-end book for someone who doesn't read much, which is quite awesome. Just wondering, what sparked your interest in this book?
actually i dony know, ive always been into the mind and such great things it can acomplish. i was watching a youtube video on thi guy blogging about minds and all that, and i really enjoyed at and commented him what book he was referring to and he told me. Thats how it started

yepppp. true stroy actually :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)