• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What area to pursue? (1 Viewer)

dimzi

OMGWTFBBQ
HSC
Well im leaning towards trying to get into some sort of business course, but I have no idea what I would even like and what future opportunities would await me.

Im going to see my careers advisor to see if he can help me out on looking at prospective courses to study, but for the meantime I thought I could get some advice from some of you people who've 'been there, dont that', so to speak :)

Well im interested in broad business activities, possibly even financial aspects of business (and even banking, investment banking etc) but as ive been wading through some of the things on here, it gets a little confusing when I basically have no idea WTF everyone is on about.

So, any help? :)
And also, I was looking at the UAC guide, would UWS courses be less 'respected' than other uni's? As the Campbelltown campus has a few business courses going.

santaslayer

HSC
dimzi said:
Well im leaning towards trying to get into some sort of business course, but I have no idea what I would even like and what future opportunities would await me.

Im going to see my careers advisor to see if he can help me out on looking at prospective courses to study, but for the meantime I thought I could get some advice from some of you people who've 'been there, dont that', so to speak :)

Well im interested in broad business activities, possibly even financial aspects of business (and even banking, investment banking etc) but as ive been wading through some of the things on here, it gets a little confusing when I basically have no idea WTF everyone is on about.

So, any help? :)
And also, I was looking at the UAC guide, would UWS courses be less 'respected' than other uni's? As the Campbelltown campus has a few business courses going.
Yes, UWS is generally less respected. That is a fact at the moment. It may change in future.
Accounting is an easier industry to get into and is broad enough for you to take up on new areas in the business world. Finance is actually pretty hard IMO. Actuarial...lol...thats a screwy industry and extremely difficult to enter.

Then there is stuff like marketing, hrm, logistics, management, business law that i have no idea about.

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
i dont know much, but HRM is pretty interesting. its harder to find jobs then say accounting, but i love it (although i think i failed my HR assessment!)

so if you want to do HR, come MQ uni

dimzi

OMGWTFBBQ
HSC
On accounting, im not very strong in maths, although I always have been a lot better in financial maths, would this make a difference? Or is it generally guided more towards the regulations and processes?

Is HRM human resource management or something?

Is there a lot of demand for this kind of work? I was under the impression that HR managers were sourced internally from within a business.

Also, whats logistics about in the context of business?

And on UWS, thanks for the info, but what would happen if someone went there, but then transferred? Sorry if its a dumb question, but I just have nooo idea :)

Last edited:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Surprisingly, there is very little "maths" in accounting beyond first year. Accounting subjects at uni tend to be more "qualitative" and focus on accounting standards and current corporate issues (in financial accounting), and business strategy, value chain analysis' etc in management accounting.

dimzi

OMGWTFBBQ
HSC
natstar said:
UWS is only "not respected" a lot becuase its in the west- deemed crappy by a lot of people. But make ur own assumptions, and visit the uni and research the uni yourself to make ur own judgements. Most people who criticse it are snobs who have never been there so cant make any real comment. I do business there, i love it, and you can transfer externally if you want.

Anyway, are you more mathy or more communicaty (sorry i just made that word up) and like writing.
If you like maths- accounting, finance, economics etc etc etc
If you like writing/communicating- marketing, HR, management etc etc etc
Oh ok, I should have thought thats why its not respected, but I dont care it being in the west, me being a (inner) westie afterall heh.

I would say, out of those two, im more communicaty (cool word!), marketing sort of interests me so I might have to bring that up with the careers advisor.

Thanks!

Minai said:
Surprisingly, there is very little "maths" in accounting beyond first year. Accounting subjects at uni tend to be more "qualitative" and focus on accounting standards and current corporate issues (in financial accounting), and business strategy, value chain analysis' etc in management accounting.
Not a lot of maths in accounting? I didnt see that one coming!
Oh I see, doesnt seem as boring as it did now...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)