• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What Are You Reading? (1 Viewer)

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
So I'm not reading anything deep or intellectual like all you people... I'm reading a good old fashioned fantasy novel, The High Lord by Trudi Canavan.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by amoz_lilo
leviathan by a human whos name i cant recall
Thomas Hobbes. Leviathan is a very interesting work.

In the last two days, I've read;
David Shenk-The Forgetting; Understanding Alzheimer's:A Biography Of A Disease.
Sarah Pomeroy-Goddesses, Whores, Wives and Slaves.

Now reading;
Andrew Milner-Literature, Culture & Society. (Might read Things Fall Apart following that.)

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
I got the newest Harry Potter book for Christmas, read the earlier books years ago and have forgotton the story so I've gone back to re-read them again! I'm up to the 3rd one.

Chris462

im reading stephen kings dark tower series, im up to the wizard and glass, thats 4 books in two weeks...

excellent series so far, cant wait till the last two books are released later on this year...

babygoose!

>>rraahhh<<
HSC
the only books i ever read are school novels..so at the moment its george orwell - 1984 and hamlet..yay..not

Chris462

1984 is an excellent book, one of my all time favorites, dont be turned off by the fact that the school issued it to you ;)

Mojoman

Interstellar Overdrive
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Chris462
im reading stephen kings dark tower series, im up to the wizard and glass, thats 4 books in two weeks...

excellent series so far, cant wait till the last two books are released later on this year...
hmm i couldnt get into the dark tower series, i tried, but failed

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
On The Road by Jack Kerouac

It's my secong time, but the last time was 4 years ago!!!

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Things Fall Apart was very good, an even-handed portrayal of the effects of missionaries and white colonisation of the Lower Niger. What made this so was that life prior to 'invasion' is not depicted as idyllic, as such adding to the realism. Great title too.

Now reading;
Florian Coulmas-The Writing Systems Of The World.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Gregor Samsa, do you read a novel a day? Which is absolutely fantastic might I add! I used to as well, but HSC has just completely taken over my life.
I'm doing Sophocles and the Oedipus Trilogy for 4 unit english, did you like the Theban plays???

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by grk_styl
Gregor Samsa, do you read a novel a day? Which is absolutely fantastic might I add! I used to as well, but HSC has just completely taken over my life.
I'm doing Sophocles and the Oedipus Trilogy for 4 unit english, did you like the Theban plays???
The time taken to read a book/novel for me generally depends on the length of the text, although I do like reading a book a day when they're (relatively) short and compelling. Understandable about the HSC.. Took me a week to read 'The Great Gatsby' (which is only 170 pages..) in the midst of the HSC due to having so little time.

Sophocles? Cool.. What aspect are you intending to write about?

I found The Theban Plays to be generally excellent, with plots, characters and dialogue that still resonate 2500 years later. The way in which Sophocles adds elements to archaic myths such as that of Oedipus is very inventive, like Oedipus striving to solve the 'mystery' of his birth, ultimately bringing about his own catharsis in a non-linear fashion. (As in, the audience already knows the plot, thus generating irony, and fragments of the truth are gradually revealed.)

Another element I liked is the Chorus being frequently integrated into the plot, and interacting with the characters. A good example of this is in Antigone, with her criticising the members of the Chorus;

Antigone-These citizens here would all agree,
they would praise me too
if their lips weren't locked in fear.
-Antigone, Lines363-365

Incidentally, I think Shakespeare borrowed directly from Oedipus At Colonus at least once;

Chorus-True, true, a terrible sea of troubles overwhelms you both.-Oedipus At Colonus, lines 1966-67.

Hamlet-To be or not to be, that is the question, whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune or to take arms against a sea of troubles and by opposing end them.-Act III, Scene I.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Shakespeare (and many modern playwrights) do take a lot from Sophocles (and other ancient Greek playwrights). I am writing about the aspects of his Theban Trilogy -- Plot, characterisation, Sophoclean Hero, Sophoclean tragedy, style, structure, etc.

It's mainly what we look at in the other english courses, but this is a lot more in depth.

Antigone is a fantastic play -- one of his finest I'd have to say.

HSC
N/A
The Dave Pelzer books. And some Tom Clancy's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)