What are you currently Reading? (1 Viewer)

kfnmpah

HSC
i bought the trial and death of socrates this morning at uni

anyone read it am i going to become a philosophical, foetal mess or what

ladiesman217_

(V)(°,,°)(V)
HSC
i bought the trial and death of socrates this morning at uni

anyone read it am i going to become a philosophical, foetal mess or what
well either your critical thinking skills are well developed in which case you'll come to view the whole book as a backward, nonsensical farce
or you'll become infected with platonism.

seriously, of all the philosophers you could read, you picked plato. next you'll be telling me how diseases are really caused by evil spirits that exist in a realm accessible only to philosophers

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
"The Aspern Papers", Henry James.

Quite interesting. Tough to get into but... it's going pretty well.

kfnmpah

HSC
well either your critical thinking skills are well developed in which case you'll come to view the whole book as a backward, nonsensical farce
or you'll become infected with platonism.

seriously, of all the philosophers you could read, you picked plato. next you'll be telling me how diseases are really caused by evil spirits that exist in a realm accessible only to philosophers
that is not going to happen

make some recommendations then please, sir.

ladiesman217_

(V)(°,,°)(V)
HSC
that is not going to happen

make some recommendations then please, sir.
nah just read it and form you own opinions

but if you're looking for a quick, short introduction to modern Western philosophy i'd sugguest An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding by Hume

Last edited:

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Empire: How Britain Shaped the Modern World

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Only read the intro and first 3 pages so far. He seem reasonably balanced. Has already stated from the outset that he is not going to brush over the bad parts (slavery, subjugation, oppression etc), but is still of the belief that classifying all of colonialism as "evil" is just as fundamentally wrong as classifying the British Empire as a benevolent overlord with the indigenous population's best interest at heart. He is of course British.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Only read the intro and first 3 pages so far. He seem reasonably balanced. Has already stated from the outset that he is not going to brush over the bad parts (slavery, subjugation, oppression etc), but is still of the belief that classifying all of colonialism as "evil" is just as fundamentally wrong as classifying the British Empire as a benevolent overlord with the indigenous population's best interest at heart. He is of course British.
That's good to see.

Nothing worse than reading something where the author has clearly got an agenda.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
That's good to see.

Nothing worse than reading something where the author has clearly got an agenda.
Yeah. Unless it's so over the top that it's just funny. Mein Kampf was hilarious. Some of the links he tried to make between Jews and the problems of the world were ridiculously tedious.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Paper Money Collapse: The Folly of Elastic Money and the Coming Monetary Breakdown by Detlev Schlichter

Keelan134

HSC
Pickachu's Global Adventure Joseph Tobin,
A book about the business side of pokemons rise and fall to fame during the 90's. Many nostalgic moments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)