What are you allergic to? (1 Viewer)

rozymisty

HSC
I was talking to one of hte nurses tonight on prac and said i cant take maxalon and so i told her the whole story, and she's like wow, its so rare to see a reaction to it, and she's been nurseing for a while now.. The hospitals have a post op nausea and vomiting protocol and they just give a few antiemetic options starting with maxalon and if they react, to get the cogentin (benztropine). When the ER doc gave it to me, I was like hmm ive heard that somewhere.

But im not sure if its an allergy or just a adverse reaction. MIMS which is the med info booklet says that dystonic recctions are an adverse reaction...which doesnt say allergy or reaction?

THe nruse said it was probably a build up./kinda immunity andthen i had a whole lot more and that caused the reacton.

I think the ER doc said stemetil woudlnt be good idea either. But tehre are other ones that can be given.

One AIN at work who's training to be a doctor said that the reason i got the slight tongue out in the morning after was coz of all the anaestetics etc that my system was trying to get out and so there was like a build up of the maxalon.

So yeah i dont know....but one thing for sure, I am not taking maxalon ever again haha. Dont want to risk it again. Its a horrible thing to experience. If i had known that it was a reaction to the drug, id have gotten myself to the ER as soon as i started getting the tongue out even slightly for a few minutes! THe day surgery nurse said it was fine, and thats what i thought too considering they put a local in your tongue and stuff....oh well. I think i did overdose on the Tuesday-6am, 10am, 2pm, maybe 6pm, and 10pm, so thats like 50mg of maxalon, its meant to be 3 times a day, not every 4-6hrs!!! I was just stupidly taking it to prevent nausea,...had a bit of dizziness and stuff on the tues when i was walking aroun but yeah.

its so strange too though when I had the reaction, coz i was like with it, and lucid but i wasnt, if you know what i mean...i guess i was like slower! Its so funny when my brother said the other wk if i noticed pple screaming and stuff in the er coz of pain etc and im liek ahhhhh what people with pain? LIke i knew it was busy coz i got wheeled to the corridor and stuff and mustve falled asleep coz i woke up in a different area.

After getting the valium, that was when i needed maxalon, coz that jsut really sedates you and makes you feel dizzy and with my dystonic reaction i was already off the planet kinda lol. So when i had the cogentin i was REALLY dizzy. I had to get mum and a nurse to hold an arm while i went to the loo, and my brother standing right behind me lol.

4unitfreak

HSC
Dogs & Cats. Weird, since I've had both for pets before. It's ok when I'm on antihistamines, but my best friend has lots of dogs at his house so I'm basically high on the drugs whenever I go over.
Also have hayfever, but that's not too bad.

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
my bros allergic to soft drinks. but it doesnt really stop him

rozymisty

HSC
thats strange! What happens?

Its strange that some people will confuse adverse reaction to an actual allergy.

ainthatinnocent

HSC
Um, my nose starts running whenever there are these things around:

dust
pollen
mites
cats fur
fine particles in the air

which is kinda frustrating because for years I thought they were symptoms of sinusitis, and I've recently found out that it's an actual allergy. I've been misdiagnosed for YEARS!!

Oh, and I'm allergic to medicine with sulfur (sulfurides?) in them.

HSC
I'm allergic to nickel. Can't wear most belts or jewellery that isn't 18ct gold or something.

HSC
N/A
I used to be allergic to apples.

Not sure if allergic is the right word, but I would be sick (throwing up) the entire day if I tried to eat one.

boris

Banned
HSC
retards that piss me off

quite literally

when somebody pisses me off i get a red rash around my neck, it's epic

Nat3skiz

HSC
ainthatinnocent said:
Um, my nose starts running whenever there are these things around:

dust
pollen
mites
cats fur
fine particles in the air
most peoples do too.

suzieee

HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
it is actually spelt metoclopromide, that is how you get full marks :(
metocloprAmide hydrochloride. spelt with an 'a' not an 'o'.

boris

Banned
HSC
suzieee said:
metocloprAmide hydrochloride. spelt with an 'a' not an 'o'.
Semantics, depends whether you're American or Australian.

Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis spells it with an 'o', so it can go both ways really.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
boris said:
Semantics, depends whether you're American or Australian.

Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis spells it with an 'o', so it can go both ways really.
yeah.. im just unconventional.. i pronounce it with an A tho.. but i spell it with the O..

about as effective as a tic tac though unless they arent vomiting/having nausea.. tropisteron for the win

NB: the HCl part isnt active? so it not very important.. and there is only one preparation on the world market..
unlike morphine sulfate and morphine tartrate and the hypophosphate version.. etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)